From Team Fortress Wiki
Hmmm, have a gander at this little beauty.
— The Sniper on the quality of his gear
All items have an assigned quality. Quality determines the color of the item's displayed name and influences its perceived trade value.
An item may only have one assigned quality at a time, which cannot be altered except through certain circumstances by Valve.
The names of the various qualities are defined in the game files.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Vintage quality.
- [Undocumented] Added Unusual quality.
February 3, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Genuine quality.
August 18, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added string for potential new item quality called "Completed".
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
September 2, 2011 Patch
- Updated the Strange quality color from RGB [205, 155, 29] (
#CD9B1D) to RGB [207, 106, 50] (
- [Undocumented] Updated the Rarity3 quality color from RGB [207, 106, 50] (
#CF6A32) to RGB [112, 85, 15] (
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Haunted quality.
- Two unused item qualities exist named Rarity2 and Rarity3. Their hexidecimal colors are