The Black Rose is a promotional melee weapon for the Spy. It is a double-edged butterfly knife serrated on one side with roses engraved along the blade and a symbol of an encircled rose imprinted on the handles. Its Baccara style colors the weapon almost entirely black, while the Mystery and True Love style is team-colored.
This weapon functions identically to the Knife.
This item is awarded to players who complete the Alliance of Valiant Arms achievement 1st One Down by creating a character and playing their first game. In addition, this achievement will unlock the Holy Mackerel melee weapon for use in Alliance of Valiant Arms.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
| 1st One Down|
1st game played after creating character
|Mystery and True Love||Baccara|
- Added the Black Rose to the game.
- [Undocumented] Added animations for the Black Rose.
- Fixed team colors not working correctly for the second style of the Black Rose.
- Added draw/swing/stab forces.
- Updated The Black Rose so it can be gift wrapped.
- Fixed the Black Rose using the RED team arms skin while on the BLU team.
- When changing styles, the weapon preview will display slightly outside of the borders.
- The weapon's description is a play on the phrase "Say it with flowers", which is commonly associated with the giving of roses to loved ones.
- The weapon's name is a reference to a type of rose used in fiction, with a variety of different meanings and titles.
- Additionally, the Baccara style is a reference to one of the titles given to this type of rose.
- The way the Spy opens the Black Rose would cut his thumb in real life, due to the animation being shared with the stock, single-edged knife.
- Alliance of Valiant Arms is not available in certain countries, making the Black Rose unobtainable to certain users. A list of whitelisted countries may be found here.
- Players who have already created a character and played a match in Alliance of Valiant Arms before the update can still be awarded the achievement if they play a full match.
- The Black Rose was announced to be made tradable in the April 18, 2012 Patch, however this never happened, and the wrong information was removed from the official release note.