Critical hits, also known as "crits" or "full crits", are attacks that do extra damage and have distinctive sound effects when fired and upon hitting a target. Players on the receiving end of the attack will have the words 'Critical Hit!!!' (or 'Mini-Crit!' respectively) appear over their head in green letters, accompanied by a loud ding.
Critical hits can be easily distinguished from normal hits. Most melee weapons have a unique swinging animation. Projectiles, such as rockets or stickybombs, have a team-colored glow and sparkle effect. Bullets have team-colored trails. Flamethrowers produce additional team-colored particles. These visual effects are accompanied by a crackling electric sound upon firing.
Self-inflicted critical hits will not deal critical damage to the user, but will still play the sound effect.
Critical hits deal three times the base damage of the weapon and ignore both the distance modification and the random damage modification of normal shots, though explosive weapon crits still suffer from splash damage fall-off. As a result, weapons that are normally merely nuisances at long range (such as Miniguns) can become dangerous when critting. The extra damage is of the "critical" type instead of matching the weapon's original type, meaning it cannot be resisted by the Vaccinator's healing or Upgrade Station buffs - though this also allows other mechanics to target critical damage specifically, such as the Battalion's Backup.
When a player is killed by a critical hit, the class will let out a loud scream that differs from ordinary non-melee deaths, unless the class was gibbed (in which case they let out a larger "ouch" noise than explosive kills usually cause). The kill feed icon for a critical hit surrounds the weapon icon with a red glow.
Crits and mini-crits do not stack in any form - that is, meeting multiple conditions to earn a crit or a mini-crit will not deal any more than the normal damage boost. For example, the Frontier Justice's revenge crits will not deal any additional damage if the Engineer is ÜberCharged by a Kritzkrieg, nor will a player marked for death and coated in Jarate suffer more than standard mini-crits. This means that team co-ordination is required if multiple players have ways to increase their crit output, or extra damage will be wasted. If both a mini-crit and full critical hit occurs with the same attack, the critical hit overrides the mini-crit.
- 1 Critical hit chance
- 2 Special cases
- 3 Crit boost
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Mini-crits
- 6 Related achievements
- 7 Update history
- 8 Bugs
- 9 References
Critical hit chance
The base crit chance for standard weapons is 2%. This is modified by a bonus percentage based on how much damage the player has done in the last 20 seconds, which scales from 0% at 0 damage to 10% at 800 damage. For example, if the player has dealt 200 damage in the past 20 seconds, the additional bonus percentage is 2.5% and so the overall crit chance is 4.5%. As a result, the highest natural crit chance attainable is 12%.
Melee weapons are designed to crit far more often than ranged ones in order to encourage their usage at close range. Their base crit chance starts at 15% - higher than attainable for ranged weapons with the recent damage bonus maxed out - and their recent damage bonus scales from 0% to 45%, meaning a player that has done 800 damage or more in the last 20 seconds has a melee crit rate of 60%.
Among those weapons that trigger randomly, critical hit probability is determined differently based on the type of weapon. Single-shot weapons, such as the Shotgun, Revolver, and Rocket Launcher, determine the chance to crit with every shot. Thus, every shot of the Shotgun will have a 2% chance to launch a flurry of critical pellets, assuming no previous damage done. Rapid-fire weapons, however, which include the Minigun, Syringe Gun, Flamethrower, and Pistol check for critical hits once a second. With weapons like these, a positive crit determination results in all shots for the next two seconds being critical. This only applies to the active weapon; getting two seconds of crits on one's Pistol will not cause their Shotgun to fire crits during this time.
There is a wide variety of situations that affect whether a weapon can deal critical hits or not.
Weapons that can gain both random crits and situational crits
The following weapons can deal guaranteed critical hits in specific situations in addition to being capable of scoring them at random.
|List of weapons able to deal random and situational critical hits|
|Killing Gloves of Boxing|
Weapons that cannot gain random crits but can gain situational crits
The following weapons have a 0% chance of random crits in all situations, but can still deal critical hits in specific situations or if the user is crit-boosted.
|List of weapons unable to deal random crits but able to deal situational crits|
|Cow Mangler 5000|
|Hitman's Heatmaker||AWPer Hand|
|Sharp Dresser||Black Rose|
|Your Eternal Reward||Wanga Prick|
|Conniver's Kunai||Big Earner|
|Spy-cicle||Golden Frying Pan|
Weapons that cannot gain random crits and cannot gain situational crits
The following weapons have a 0% chance of random crits in all situations and do not have a mean of scoring crits on their own, though they can still deliver crits if another effect is in play.
|List of weapons unable to deal random or situational critical hits|
|Eyelander||Claidheamh Mòr||Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker||Persian Persuader||Nessie's Nine Iron||Ullapool Caber|
|Rocket Jumper||Sticky Jumper||Southern Hospitality||Sydney Sleeper||Enforcer|
Weapons that cannot crit in any way
The following weapons cannot deal critical hits in any way. They can however mini-crit if the situation is right.
|List of weapons unable to deal critical hits in any way|
Weapons that are exempt
The following items do not operate as conventional weapons and so are exempt from the concept of critical hits. Note that they will still glow when crit-boosted; there will simply be no effect.
|List of weapons unable to deal critical hits or mini-crits|
|Bonk! Atomic Punch||Sandvich||Dalokohs Bar||Buffalo Steak Sandvich||Fishcake||Robo-Sandvich|
|Mad Milk||Mutated Milk||Jarate||Self-Aware Beauty Mark|
|Buff Banner||Battalion's Backup||Concheror||B.A.S.E. Jumper||Cozy Camper|
|Gunboats||Mantreads||Ali Baba's Wee Booties||Bootlegger|
|Razorback||Darwin's Danger Shield|
|Invis Watch||Cloak and Dagger||Dead Ringer||Enthusiast's Timepiece||Quäckenbirdt|
|Sapper||Red-Tape Recorder||Ap-Sap||Snack Attack|
Crit boost is a state in which a player is guaranteed to deal critical hits with any weapon. A crit boost is demonstrated by the player's weapon glowing in their team color, with sparks of electricity surging and crackling from it. This affects most weapons that do not normally deal random critical hits, such as the Knife, Sniper Rifle, Gunslinger, and Eyelander, causing them to deal critical attacks for the duration of the boost. The Cow Mangler 5000, on the other hand, will not receive critical hits from a crit boost.
A crit boost can be attained under the following circumstances:
- During Humiliation, the winning team is granted a crit boost.
- Capturing the intelligence in a game of Capture the Flag gives the entire capturing team a 10 second crit boost. This value can be altered or disabled by the server host console via a command.
- In the event version of Harvest, Mann Manor, Eyeaduct, and Ghost Fort during Halloween, killed players randomly drop candy-filled Halloween pumpkins. When picked up, the player is awarded around 3–4 seconds of crit boost.
- Upon killing an enemy with the Killing Gloves of Boxing, the Heavy will be crit boosted for 5 seconds. The crit boost applies not only to the Killing Gloves of Boxing, but to all the Heavy's currently equipped weapons.
- The Phlogistinator allows a Pyro to crit boost itself for about 10 seconds upon activating "Mmmph", but the crit boost only affects the Phlogistinator.
In Arena Mode, a 'First Blood' buff is granted to a player who achieves the first kill of a round. It consists of a five-second crit boost.
- If players switch weapons during the buff, the electricity around their weapon will disappear, but critical hits will still be delivered.
- Triggering feign death with the Dead Ringer gives the attacker the 'First Blood' buff.
- The 'First Blood' buff counts as an ÜberCharge towards the Heavy achievement Supreme Soviet.
- Obtaining 'First Blood' as a Scout unlocks the First Blood achievement; killing five enemies with 'First Blood' unlocks First Blood, Part 2.
|“What are you lookin' at?!”
This page or section would benefit from the addition of one or more images.
Please add a suitable image, then remove this notice. The specific instructions are: "Crit Monoculus eyeballs"
Mini-crits add an extra 35% damage to a weapon's damage. Like normal critical hits, they ignore damage falloff, but unlike critical hits, they are still given ramp-up at close range and random spread. Full crits override mini-crits. Like full crits, mini-crits will have a glowing red outline in their kill icons and will be displayed with a larger font when combat text is enabled. If the player is under a Mini-crit buff state (such as the Buff Banner or Buffalo Steak Sandvich), or the victim is under a Mini-crit debuff state (such being Jarated or marked for death), all taunt attacks will also Mini-crit.
There are currently nine ways for a player to deal consistent mini-crits to all other players:
- Attacking as a Scout while under the effects of Crit-a-Cola.
- Hitting an enemy from long range with the Flying Guillotine.
- Attacking while under the effects of a friendly Soldier's Buff Banner.
- Shooting enemies with the Cow Mangler 5000's charged shot.
- As a Pyro, hitting an enemy with a reflected projectile (other than stickybombs and projectiles that are already crits).
- Melee hits midway through your Chargin' Targe or Splendid Screen charge.
- Killing an enemy with the Cleaner's Carbine.
- Attacking as a Heavy while under the effects of the Buffalo Steak Sandvich.
- Attacking from behind as a Scout while using the Back Scatter from around 500 hammer units (31 feet +/- 1 feet)
There are also currently five effects that force a particular player to take mini-crits from all incoming damage:
- Being marked by the Fan O'War.
- Being a Heavy who has the Gloves of Running Urgently active, or has had them active in the last three seconds.
- Being an Engineer who is hauling a building with the Rescue Ranger equipped, or has done so in the last three seconds.
- Being covered in Jarate.
- Being a Soldier who has the Escape Plan active, or has had it active in the last three seconds.
Finally, there are five ways of achieving mini-crits that require both the attacker and the target to be in a particular situation:
- Hitting an airborne enemy with the Direct Hit who was propelled airborne by an explosion.
- Shooting an airborne enemy with the Reserve Shooter during the 5-second mini-crit period it has after switching to it.
- Hitting a burning enemy with the Detonator.
- Directly impacting an enemy within half a second before a cannonball explosion with the Loose Cannon.
- Hitting a burning enemy with the Axtinguisher from the front.
Former ways to achieve a mini-crit:
- The Sun-on-a-Stick originally dealt mini-crits on burning enemies. It currently deals full crits.
- The Flare Gun originally dealt mini-crits on burning enemies at close range. It currently deals full crits regardless of range.
- Formerly Mini-Crits could be delivered by shooting enemies to the head with the Ambassador. It currently deals full crits.
- The Pyro's Compression Blast was formerly able to turn enemy Stickybombs into mini-crits by reflecting them. It now gives no mini-crit boost on reflecting Stickybombs.
- The Direct Hit formerly dealt mini-crits to any airborne target. The weapon now only inflicts mini-crit damage to airborne targets who have been launched into the air by an explosion.
- The Buffalo Steak Sandvich originally forced the user to take mini-crits while under its effects. This has been changed to a basic 25% damage increase.
- The Crit-a-Cola also originally forced the user to take mini-crits while under its effect. It later changed to a basic 25% damage increase, but then altered to 10% damage increase.
- The Soda Popper originally dealt mini-crits while under its hype effect. Now hype effect has changed to grant up to 5 extra air jumps.
A mini-crit boost is the state of having all damage being dealt modified into mini-crit damage. Currently, this is achievable while under the effects of Crit-a-Cola, an active Buff Banner, having recently killed someone with the Cleaner's Carbine and while under the effect of Buffalo Steak Sandvich. While being mini-crit boosted from the Buff Banner, the player's active weapon glows a faint yellow on RED, or a faint blue-green on BLU, and has the same color effect of particles swirling around their feet, and the text "Mini Crit!" will appear above the player's health bar, while being mini-crit boosted by the Crit-a-Cola will look more like a normal crit boost, but the weapon will glow lighter.
All damage sources, including afterburn and Sentry Guns, only deal mini-crit damage when the player dealing the damage is being boosted. If the player loses the boost after firing a projectile while the projectile is in mid-flight, it will lose its status as a mini-crit. Conversely, after the Pyro sets fire to several players, returning to a mini-crit boost will immediately transform any afterburn damage to mini-crit status. Sentry Guns will only mini-crit while the Engineer is being mini-crit boosted.
- The vast majority of effects and achievements cannot tell the difference between a critical hit and a mini-crit, and as a result treat all mini-crits as regular crits. This makes it possible to gain crit-based achievements using only mini-crits.
- The "Mini Crit!" text is still displayed when combat text is enabled if a teammate assists you with a mini-crit, instead of showing the damage they dealt.
- Crit indicators are still displayed even if the "victim" is ÜberCharged and receives no damage.
- Occasionally, when being crit boosted and you die, the particle effect and sound will still play, despite not giving critical hits.