The Description Tag is a tool item, represented as two name or address tags on a piece of yellow string.
Using this tool in conjunction with an item in the backpack allows the player to bestow a customized description of 80 or fewer characters. Doing so will consume the Description Tag and remove it from the player's backpack. Items with custom descriptions can be reverted to their original state only if they have also had a Name Tag used on them. This can be done in the backpack by clicking on the item in question and then clicking the Restore button. In doing so, however, the Description Tag will not be returned to the player.
Applying a custom description to an item will place quotation marks around the new description, and replace the default description if there is one. Any extra effects on the item (such as +25% max health) will be displayed below the new description, while the kill counter on any strange weapons will appear above the new description. Description Tags can still be used on an item which has already had a custom description applied.
If a Description Tag is used on a stock item, the item becomes a unique item and the player will subsequently find a new original one as an item drop. The newly described item will exist separate to the original stock item. The player can then choose which item to equip through the loadout menu. As of the Über Update, re-named or described Stock weapons can be used in crafting to make Scrap Metal.
- This item was added to the game.
- Added check to prevent control characters from user-provided item names and descriptions (replaced with spaces).
- Edited item names and descriptions that contained grave accents (’) to use single quotation marks (').
- [Undocumented] Grenade Launchers, Pistols, and Shotguns using Name or Description Tags now properly use the c_model equivalent.
- [Undocumented] Lowered the price of Description Tags.
- Description Tags used on weapons that became vintage following the March 15, 2011 Patch cannot be removed.
- Description Tag cannot be used on Craft items like Reclaimed Metal, any edition of Mann Co. Supply Crates, Dueling Badges, Noise Makers, Strange Parts, weapons being used on a test run from the Mann Co. Store, all five Tour of Duty Badges, Dueling Mini-Games, other Description Tags, Stock Disguise Kits, Stock Destruction PDAs, nor Mann Co. Supply Crate Keys.