Which of you numbnuts let us down?
— The Soldier wondering who to discipline
The Disciplinary Action is a community-created melee weapon for the Soldier. It is a riding crop with a wooden handle and a loose leather loop at the end.
Despite not being listed in the description, this weapon has a 70% longer range than most melee weapons, slightly more so than the Eyelander. However, it delivers 25% less damage to enemies.
The main benefit of the Disciplinary Action is that upon striking a teammate with this weapon, both the Soldier and the teammate will receive a speed boost for 4 seconds, amount varies by class affected (see below). The boost is indicated by a wind breeze particle effect surrounding the affected class, visible both to them and any other players. Multiple teammates can be boosted at once. Disguised Spies will only be damaged by the weapon, and no boost will be bestowed to either party.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Ranged or Melee damage?
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
†While aiming, the Sniper's speed boost is 40%
As a crafting ingredient
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- The Disciplinary Action was added to the game.
June 28, 2011 Patch
- Added/Refined recoil/draw/crit/reload forces for all of the Disciplinary Action.
July 1, 2011 Patch
- [Item schema update] Changed positive attribute description from '1 sec' to 'several seconds'.
July 22, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The damage penalty attribute was changed from "-25% damage done" to "-25% damage penalty".
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- [Undocumented] The Disciplinary Action now fully boosts Scout.
March 27, 2013 Patch
- Fixed the Disciplinary Action sometimes floating in the world after death.
August 27, 2013 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
November 12, 2013 Patch
- The extra range allows the user to hit enemies completely behind them.
- Disciplinary action is a doctrine used by militaries or other hierarchical organizations to punish whoever they regard as breaking the rules.