There were two types of doves: perched and flying. The perched doves did not move, blink, or fly; they remained perfectly stationary, unless attacked or touched by a player, which would cause them to explode. The explosion caused no damage or knockback. Doves that had exploded would re-appear at the beginning of a new round. The Über Update removed the doves from maps.
On June 17, 2011, the Team Fortress website was updated with pictures of doves and dove droppings across the top of the main page. Additionally, clicking on one of the three doves "perched" at the top of the page lead to three different pictures, each with different connotations to the Medic: a bombed, ruined hospital; a waiting room; and a doctor's office, respectively, all of which appeared empty and abandoned. On June 20th, 2011, the doves on the main page were removed due to the redesign of the Team Fortress website.
See Dove locations for a listing of all dove sightings.
- [Undocumented] Doves have been added to all Valve-made maps.
- Fixed a problem related to spawning multiple entities unnecessarily between mini-rounds.
- Fixed a server crash triggered during entity cleanup.
- [Undocumented] Added a new "Dove" model with flight animations.
- [Undocumented] Scouts now have a 1 out of 100 chance of having a flying dove spawn when killed via gibbing.
- [Undocumented] Removed doves from the maps they were placed on.
A dove seen in Dustbowl.
A dove seen in Well that seemingly could not be killed.
Flying dove model, added with the June 17, 2011 Patch.