|Map type||Control Point|
|File name:|| |
|No. of Stages:||3|
|Health Kits:||×7 • ×8 • ×10|
|Ammo Boxes:||×4 • ×12 • ×7|
Dustbowl is an Attack/Defend Control Point map, and is the subsequent remake of the Team Fortress Classic map of the same name. It and Gravel Pit were the first Attack/Defend Control Point maps for Team Fortress 2 and was one of the six initial maps included with the game's release. Dustbowl is the only map for which a training mode has been created.
In Dustbowl, the goal of the attackers, BLU, is to win through a series of stages in order to win the map. Within each stage the attackers must capture two control points, A and B, which are held by the defenders, RED. Point A must be captured before the attackers can assault B. The timer is increased for every point capture and once a point is captured it is locked and cannot be retaken by the defenders.
- 1 Introduction video
- 2 Goal
- 3 Locations
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Control point timing
- 6 Related achievements
- 7 Update history
- 8 Bugs
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 See also
- 12 References
BLU is attacking and must capture both points, A and B, in all three stages to win the match. RED must prevent BLU team from achieving their goal.
Directions are described from BLU's perspective.
Stage 1, Point A
Control point A Inside a small building on the left.
- BLU spawn: There are three exits, left, middle, and right. The left exit has a resupply cabinet, and a ramp leading to the exit. The left exit is particularly vulnerable enemy fire.
- Canyon: The long straight pathway from the middle spawn door leads right to the back door of Control Point A.
- Left exit shed: Next to the left door, a small shed with one doorway contains a large Health and Ammo pack. The path leads straight into the front entrance of the Control point building. A ladder leads to the roof of the shed.
- Right exit shed: Next to the right exit door, a small shed contains a medium Health and Ammo pack. It has two doorways.
- Control Point A: Control Point A is housed in a small building. It contains a large Health and a large Ammo pack. Stairs lead into a mining tunnel, which has a large Health pack and leads to Control Point B. The building has two doorways and a balcony.
- Tunnel entrances: There are three tunnel entrances, leading to a system of tunnels that lead to Control Point B. The main entrance, accessible from the ground, splits left and right. A third entrance is only accessible from the building housing Control Point A.
Stage 1, Point B
- Upper tunnel: Accessed from the building housing Control Point A, there are two exits. One exit is a one-way gate which provides access to Control Point B, and the second exit is unblocked, situated further back. The cave contains a medium Health Pack and medium Ammo Pack.
- Left tunnel: Taking the left fork from the main tunnel entrance provides a direct path to Control Point B.
- Right tunnel: Taking the right fork from the main tunnel entrance leads to a large cave, with exits on two levels. The upper exit leads to the Bridge while the lower exit is a direct path to the Control Point. It contains a medium Health pack and large Ammo pack.
- Bridge: A bridge leads from the upper exit of the right cave to the gate blocking the left cave. There is an entrance to the Control Point building at the left end of the bridge.
- Control Point B: Control Point B is also housed in a building. It contains a small Health and Ammo pack, and is directly accessible from the middle cave exit.
- Spawn roof: The roof above RED spawn is split into two parts connected by the Snipers' bridge, and has a small Health and Ammo pack on one side.
- RED spawn: The Red Spawn has one central exit which is located directly to the front (or slightly to the left/right depending on where the players spawn). The central exit is between two supply cabinet rooms. These types of spawns are vulnerable to spawn camping, as there is only one exit. The RED spawn faces away from the battlefield, and players have to make a U-turn to reach the battlefields, adding some delay to their defenses.
Stage 2, Point A
The first point is on top of a building on the left (from BLU's perspective).
- BLU Spawn: This is a small building which opens into the Dugout. The BLU team occupy the spawn the RED team had in the first stage.
- Dugout: Two entryways emerge from the spawn, one leading left, and one right. Defenders are free to enter after the setup gates open.
- Large Shed: On the right hand side are two large Health and Ammo packs. The ladder at the back leads to the roof of the building.
- Control Point Building: Control point is on top of the second level of the building. The second level has a small hut which contains a large Health and Ammo pack. The first floor has a small, open room facing the BLU spawn with a medium Health and Ammo pack. It has two doorways, and may also be entered through a window and via crates located at the front-left and tires at the rear-left.
- The Office: At the back of this area. There are two rooms; the one to the right contains a large Ammo and medium Health pack. The second room has a window facing the dugout.
- Signpost: A large Health pack and a medium Ammo pack are located to the left of The Office.
- Exits: One on the left and one on the right, both leading to point B.
Stage 2, Point B
The second control point is on a platform next to RED's spawn.
- The Mining Tunnel: A long narrow tunnel which starts at the back right of the office building.
- The Double Exits: These two tunnels are located parallel to each other. The left tunnel leads to the double doors, and the right one leads to the double doors or to the gate.
- The Gate: Far right from the double exits lies a one way gate via another tunnel. There is a large Health pack at the end, near the grate.
- The Courtyard: The open area right outside the double exits and the exit of the long mining tunnel. It is situated next to the middle building.
- The Middle Building: A large building in the middle of the Courtyard area. The second floor contains two medium Health and Ammo packs. A ground-level corridor runs through the building which exits on the other side, directly in front of the final control point. There is also a path around the outside, sporting some tall boulders.
- Control Point B: The control point sits on a platform which is near the defenders' spawn and is accessible by stairs on either side.
- RED Spawn Building: This is the spawn point for the defending RED team and is behind the control point. This spawn is identical in structure to the RED Spawn in Stage One. There is a transparent window on the left wall of this spawn. Next to the window is a "TOP SECRET" sign which cannot be opened. Looking through the window shows a path out of the door into another anonymous building run by RED. There is a floor below it which has a stack of rockets.
Stage 3, Point A
The first control point is on a platform straight across from BLU's exit. RED has a shortcut from one of their spawn rooms to this point. This shortcut is sealed once BLU captures this point.
- Three Exits: Left, Middle and Right all behind gates that open at the start of the round defenders can then move towards spawn.
- BLU Spawn: This spawn occupies the RED Spawn from Stage 2. Upon leaving, players can take an immediate right turn and go up a long corridor to the right-hand locked gate, or take either the left or the right stairs. Both will lead to the double gate exits.
- Loading Dock: A small building containing a large Ammo and small Health pack. The building stands between the gates and the control point and has a wide window which looks toward the double gates.
- Control point A: Located at the back of the area on a slightly raised platform.
- The Ledge: A ledge at the end of the defenders' shortcut to control point A. Once the first control point has been taken, the doorway from RED’s spawn is locked.
Stage 3, Point B
The final control point is the base of a launch pad, under a rocket, in the center of RED's base.
- The Alleys: These are the narrow alleyways that lead from control point A to control point B. They consist of two levels, with the main road having no Health or Ammo packs, and the side rooms on the upper level having some Health and Ammo packs.
- Downstairs: Side doorway leading down underneath the base and into the valley under control point B area.
- The Balcony House: Has a bridge over the alley and a small Health and Ammo pack. It faces control point B.
- The Sniper House: Opposite the Balcony House. Has a medium Health and large Ammo pack on the second level. On the first level, there is a bunker with windows facing down the long alley. There are two doors, one in the alley, the other at the back. These can be accessed from outside by defenders via a tiny ledge.
- Control point B: This is the final control point for this map and is situated between RED's two spawn exits, underneath a large rocket.
- RED Spawn: There are two individual RED spawns that are unique in design from its last two RED spawns in stages one and two respectively. One spawn is located to the left of control point B, and one on the right. The one on the left is significantly larger than the right RED spawn and has two different exits. One, which is in front of the RED team is the shortcut to control point A. The other exit spirals around and leads to Control Point B. The right RED respawn room is shaped like a rectangular prism, then has a curve to its only single exit. There is equal chances that the RED team player can spawn in any of these two locations. See the image "Map Overview" to see the interiors of the spawns.
- Equipment Room: In front of the control point, a long room with an Ammo pack at the front and a medium Health pack in the back. Accessible by stairs.
- The Valley: Located underneath the final bridge, the Valley has one entrance, and a flight of stairs leading up to the bridge.
Control point timing
All control points have the same capture times.
|All control points||×1||
- On the console versions, Snipers and other classes are able to shoot through the grating and pick off enemies (see Differences between platforms).
- Inside the double gates of BLU spawn at Stage 3 between the two gates, stickies exploded alongside the wall on the outside will kill those standing inside.
- The projector noise present in the RED final spawnroom plays inconsistently.
- Dustbowl is one of the maps designed after existing Team Fortress Classic maps, the others being 2Fort, Well, and Badlands. The gameplay of the original version was similar to one-sided Capture the Flag, in which one player on the BLU team must take a flag to the RED team's control points, with only one control point per stage.
- The various barrels throughout the stage are movable and will break into smaller pieces when attacked.
- Dustbowl was the map featured in the closing scene of Meet the Heavy, with the same scene featured in Meet the Sandvich. The area featured was the area just outside BLU's spawn on first stage.
- The Cornwell company logos scattered around the map are a reference to Dean Cornwell, an artist who greatly inspired the visual design of Team Fortress 2.
- Dustbowl appears in Worms: Reloaded as one of the forts.
- The Dustbowl is an economical crisis occurring in the thirties in the Mid West and Canada. Resulting in dried-out landscapes, it is much likey to be a reference to the setting of the map, as there are a lot of farm buildings, but no cereals at all.
The bulletin board that appears in the first RED spawn area and the second BLU spawn area, as of Smissmass 2013.
- Jason Mitchell, Moby Francke, Dhabih Eng, Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2 (2007), retrieved 2010-10-23.