|Map Type:||Control Point|
|File name:|| |
|No. of Stages:||3|
|Health Kits:||×7 • ×8 • ×10|
|Ammo Boxes:||×4 • ×12 • ×7|
Dustbowl is an Attack/Defend Control Point map, and is the subsequent remake of the Team Fortress Classic map of the same name. It and Gravel Pit were the first Attack/Defend Control Point maps for Team Fortress 2 and was one of the six initial maps included with the game's release. Dustbowl is the only map for which a training mode has been created.
In Dustbowl, the goal of the attackers, BLU, is to win through a series of stages in order to win the map. Within each stage the attackers must capture two control points, A and B, which are held by the defenders, RED. Point A must be captured before the attackers can assault B. The timer is increased for every point capture and once a point is captured it is locked and cannot be retaken by the defenders.
- 1 Introduction video
- 2 Goal
- 3 Locations
- 4 Strategy
- 5 Control Point Timing
- 6 Related achievements
- 7 Update history
- 8 Bugs
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 See also
- 12 Notes and References
BLU is attacking and must capture both points, A and B, in all three stages to win the match. RED must prevent BLU team from achieving their goal.
Note all viewed from BLU’s perspective after leaving spawn.
Stage 1, Point A
Control point A Inside a small building on the left.
- Attackers' spawn: Three exits - Left, Middle and Right. Defenders are able to shoot into spawn.
- Canyon: The long straight pathway from the middle spawn door leads right to the back door of Control point A.
- Main shed: Next to the left door contains a large Health and Ammo pack. Path leads straight into the front entrance of the Control point building. Has one doorway.
- Side shed: Next to the right hand spawn door contains a medium Health and Ammo pack. Has two doorways.
- Control point “A” building: Contains a large Health and a large Ammo pack. Steps lead the mining tunnel which has a large Health pack and leads to Control point B. Has two doorways plus higher windows and balcony.
- Exits Left tunnel, Right tunnel and (upper) Mine tunnel.
Stage 1, Point B
Control point B is again inside a building on the left.
- Cave paths: 3 tunnel pathways lead to the second area.
- Second floor from upper Mine Tunnel, leads to one way gate and tyre exit above and to the left of Control point B. Contains medium Health and Ammo Pack.
- Ground level from left tunnel behind control point A.
- Right tunnel leading to large cave (right cave) with upper an lower level exits. contains a medium Health pack and large Ammo pack.
The bridge leads from the upper exit of the right cave to the one gate.
- Control point B building: Contains a small Health and Ammo pack.
- Sniper roof: Located above the defenders' spawn. Is split into two parts connected by the Snipers' bridge, and has a small Health and Ammo pack on one side.
- Defenders' spawn: The spawn point for the defenders (RED team). It is located underneath the Snipers' roof.
Stage 2, Point A
The first point is on top of a building on the left (from BLU's perspective).
- BLU Spawn: This is a small building which opens into the Dugout.
- Dugout: Two entryways emerge from the spawn, one leading left, and one right. Defenders are free to enter after the setup gates open.
- Large Shed: On the right hand side are two large Health and Ammo packs. The ladder at the back leads to the roof of the building.
- Control Point Building: Control point is on top of the second level of the building. The second level has a small hut which contains a large Health and Ammo pack. The first floor has a small, open room facing the BLU spawn with a medium Health and Ammo pack. It has two doorways, and may also be entered through a window and via crates located at the front-left and tires at the rear-left.
- The Office: At the back of this area. There are two rooms; the one to the right contains a large Ammo and medium Health pack. The second room has a window facing the dugout.
- Signpost: A large Health pack and a medium Ammo pack are located to the left of The Office.
- Exits: One on the left and one on the right, both leading to point B.
Stage 2, Point B
The second control point is on a platform next to RED's spawn.
- The Mining Tunnel: A long narrow tunnel which starts at the back right of the office building.
- The Double Exits: These two tunnels are located parallel to each other. The left tunnel leads to the double doors, and the right one leads to the double doors or to the gate.
- The Gate: Far right from the double exits lies a one way gate via another tunnel. There is a large Health pack at the end, near the grate.
- The Courtyard: The open area right outside the double exits and the exit of the long mining tunnel. It is situated next to the middle building.
- The Middle Building: A large building in the middle of the Courtyard area. The second floor contains two medium Health and Ammo packs. A ground-level corridor runs through the building which exits on the other side, directly in front of the final control point. There is also a path around the outside, sporting some tall boulders.
- Control Point B: The control point sits on a platform which is near the defenders' spawn and is accessible by stairs on either side.
- RED Spawn Building: This is the spawn point for the defending RED team and is behind the control point.
Stage 3, Point A
The first control point is on a platform straight across from BLU's exit. RED has a shortcut from one of their spawn rooms to this point. This shortcut is sealed once BLU captures this point.
- Three Exits: Left, Middle and Right all behind gates that open at the start of the round defenders can then move towards spawn.
- BLU Spawn: Upon leaving, players can take an immediate right turn and go up a long corridor to the right-hand locked gate, or take either the left or the right stairs. Both will lead to the double gate exits.
- Loading Dock: A small building containing a large Ammo and small Health pack. The building stands between the gates and the control point and has a wide window which looks toward the double gates.
- Control point A: Located at the back of the area on a slightly raised platform.
- The Ledge: A ledge at the end of the defenders' shortcut to control point A. Once the first control point has been taken, the doorway from RED’s spawn is locked.
Stage 3, Point B
The final control point is the base of a launch pad, under a rocket, in the center of RED's base.
- The Alleys: These are the narrow alleyways that lead from control point A to control point B. They consist of two levels, with the main road having no Health or Ammo packs, and the side rooms on the upper level having some Health and Ammo packs.
- Downstairs: Side doorway leading down underneath the base and into the valley under control point B area.
- The Balcony House: Has a bridge over the alley and a small Health and Ammo pack. It faces control point B.
- The Sniper House: Opposite the Balcony House. Has a medium Health and large Ammo pack on the second level. On the first level, there is a bunker with windows facing down the long alley. There are two doors, one in the alley, the other at the back. These can be accessed from outside by defenders via a tiny ledge.
- Control point B: This is the final control point for this map and is situated between RED's two spawn exits, underneath a large rocket.
- RED Spawn: Has exits leading to either side of control point B.
- Equipment Room: In front of the control point, a long room with an Ammo pack at the front and a medium Health pack in the back. Accessible by stairs.
- The Valley: Located underneath the final bridge, the Valley has one entrance, and a flight of stairs leading up to the bridge.
Control Point Timing
All control points have the same capture times.
|All control points||×1||
- On the console versions, Snipers and other classes are able to shoot through the grating and pick off enemies (see Differences between platforms).
- Inside the double gates of BLU spawn at Stage 3 between the two gates, stickies exploded alongside the wall on the outside will kill those standing inside.
- The projector noise present in the RED final spawnroom plays inconsistently.
- Teleporters can be built in the BLU spawn at the corner of the end of the right tunnel in Stage 1, letting Spies into their spawn area if it is an exit Teleporter.
- Dustbowl is one of the maps designed after existing Team Fortress Classic maps, the others being 2Fort, Well, and Badlands. The gameplay of the original version was similar to one-sided Capture the Flag, in which one player on the BLU team must take a flag to the RED team's control points, with only one control point per stage.
- Dustbowl was the map featured in the closing scene of Meet the Heavy, with the same scene featured in Meet the Sandvich. The area featured was the area just outside BLU's spawn on first stage.
- The Cornwell company logos scattered around the map are a reference to Dean Cornwell, an artist who greatly inspired the visual design of Team Fortress 2.
- Dustbowl appears in Worms: Reloaded as one of the forts.
- The Dustbowl is an economical crisis occuring in the thirties in the Mid West and Canada. Resulting in dried-out landscapes, it is much likey to be a reference to the setting of the map, as there are a lot of farm buildings, but no cereals at all.
The bulletin board that appears in the first RED spawn area and the second BLU spawn area, as of Smissmass 2013.
Notes and References
- Jason Mitchell, Moby Francke, Dhabih Eng, Illustrative Rendering in Team Fortress 2 (2007), retrieved 2010-10-23.