It doesn't take a line of three-question-format reasoning to realize the sheer superiority of your headgear.
— Familiar Fez publicity blurb
The Familiar Fez is a community-created cosmetic item for the Spy. It is a team-colored fez with a black tassel and small golden bead that sits atop the Spy's regular balaclava, with a pair of sunglasses that covers his eyes.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- The Familiar Fez was added to the game.
October 8, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Familiar Fez was given its own crafting blueprint.
November 14, 2011 [Item schema update]
- The Familiar Fez no longer falls off Spy's head at death
- The fez is a brimless hat, commonly made from felt and originating in Greece. The Familiar Fez resembles the North African style, being taller than its Balkan counterpart.
- The hat is a reference to Mustafa, one of Dr. Evil's henchmen in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.
- In the film, Austin says to Mustafa, "I don't recall your name, but your fez is familiar." .
- The artwork used for the pack's Polycount entry image was a recreation of a still of Mustafa in the same pose, and the creator has admitted to watching Austin Powers a week prior to designing the pack.
- The entry's description mentions a "line of three question-format reasoning." In the film, Mustafa was unable to withhold answers after being asked the same question three times, because it irritated him.