From Team Fortress Wiki
|File name:|| |
|Developer(s):|| Patrick 'MangyCarface' Mulholland |
|Hazards:||Pitfall, Li'l Chew Chew|
|Health Kits:||×8 • ×11 • ×3|
|Ammo Boxes:||×5 • ×15 • ×4|
Frontier is a single-stage Payload map with 4 control points for the BLU team to capture. It is orientated towards organizing pushes around the cart's movement to benefit from its significant protection in lieu of suppressing the RED team since the layout of terrain is much in favor of the RED team. The crowning feature of Frontier is its custom cart, "Li'l Chew-Chew".
Frontier was added as an official map on February 24, 2011 Patch due to its outstanding quality.
Li'l Chew Chew
In place of the standard BLU cart on Frontier is a large mechanized train engine known as "Li'l Chew-Chew". Providing cover from frontal attacks, the train engine is capable of instantly killing anyone that is in its mouth when it's moving forward (whether willingly or forcibly) in addition to having a rideable platform and built-in Dispenser for the BLU team. It is impossible to build buildings on the rideable platform. The instant-kill ability is contingent on at least 3 players pushing the cart. It has a noticeably increased pushing range when compared to normal carts.
Control point 1
Control point 1 sits in an area surrounded by high cliffs and buildings just in front of RED's starting spawn area.
- The Shack is a small, two-level building to the right of the BLU base. It has a small balcony that a Sentry Gun can be placed on to give a good area of fire over the top of the Payload cart.
- The Cave sits directly across from the Shack in front of the BLU base. It too has a small balcony that a Sentry Gun can be placed on to give a good area of fire directly at the Payload cart and at the main exit point of the BLU base. However, this spot is more exposed than the Sentry Gun spot on the Shack.
Control point 2
Control point 2 is at the top of a large hill inside of a warehouse-like building.
- The Rock Wall separates the second cap point from a small warehouse through which the BLU team may travel.
- The Mesa is a small elevated feature at the bottom of the hill offering the RED team a path to areas further up the hill and to the warehouse control point 2 sits on.
Control point 3
Control point 3 sits between a building and a plateau.
- The Rock Plateau comes right before the third cap and is ideal for the RED team to place Sentry Guns. There is even one rock spire with a Medium Ammo box and Small Health kit, allowing a skilled Engineer to place a high Sentry Gun out of sapping range.
- The Tunnel is a pathway that is near the Plateau and can be used as a choke point. Walkways along the top ends can be good areas to apply defense against the Payload cart from above.
Control point 4
Control point 4 sits above a large open pit with a satellite dish at the bottom of it. The RED team's final spawn area is located on either side of the point connected by a catwalk.
- Added Frontier to the game.
- Fixed various geometry bugs.
- Localized the team goal strings.
- Updated pl_frontier with author-submitted fixes:
- small prop adjustments.
- several unsewn/gappy displacements fixed up.
- func_push altered below final capture point.
- Fixed exploit where players could be pushed into enemy spawn rooms by the Payload cart.
- It is possible for the RED team to enter the BLU spawn area by allowing Li'l Chew Chew to advance slightly out of the respawn then getting on it when it starts to retreat.
- There is a tree stump with a small medi-pack on it, after the first point and just before the slope up to the second, that players can get permanently stuck behind.
- After the Payload cart has been delivered and the round has ended, the timer on the cart will still continue to drop.
- If a RED player is standing in the open door of BLU's second spawn point when the round ends, they will be instantly teleported across the map into the third spawn point.
- The developer, Patrick 'MangyCarface' Mulholland, is also known for being one of the developers of Yukon.
- The computer screen on Li'l Chew Chew bears the message: "Li'l Chew Chew v2.2 I've not been programmed for Regret <3 <3".
- The ticker tape below reads: "Lil' ChewChew OS 2.5 start up, Running System Check, Armor 100% ready, Vacuum Tubes 100% ready, Jaws 100% ready, Engines 100% ready, initializing vacuum tube logic --- Loading Chew-Chew personality, Debugging complete, Chew-Chew personality 100% ready, Maggot removal imminent, operational!!!".