We're currently in a full moon.
The next full moon is from November 23, 2015 at 12 Noon through to November 25, 2015 at 12 Noon (UTC).
The Full Moon restriction was introduced with the 2011 Very Scary Halloween Special. All previous items that were restricted to Halloween were updated to be equipable during both Halloween events and full moons. These items are available for use during full moons according to a formula that approximates the lunar calendar. During this period, the main menu background will become a full-color image of Double Cross, the menu class portrait will sometimes wear their Halloween Costumes, the default Message of the day will state "Welcome and Enjoy the Full Moon!", and Strange weapons equipped with Strange Part: Full Moon Kills will count kills performed during this timespan.
Note: the dates provided in this article are computed by formulas internal to this wiki and so are not directly coupled to the game and are provided as estimates only.
Most Recent Full Moon
- October 25, 2015 at 12 Midnight through to October 27, 2015 at 12 Midnight
Upcoming Full Moons
- November 23, 2015 at 12 Noon through to November 25, 2015 at 12 Noon
- December 23, 2015 at 12 Midnight through to December 25, 2015 at 12 Midnight
- January 21, 2016 at 12 Noon through to January 23, 2016 at 12 Noon
- February 20, 2016 at 12 Midnight through to February 22, 2016 at 12 Midnight
When the Full Moon restriction was introduced with the 2011 Very Scary Halloween Special, the formula was set such that the Full Moon event occurred every 29.5 days starting Midday, October 12, 2011. The periods lasted for a full day before and after the time calculated, so the very first Full Moon event was one day either side of 12am (Midnight) on November 10, 2011. However, the actual synodic month is close to 44 minutes and 3 seconds longer than the 29.5 day approximation. The effect of this was that after about four years, the TF2 Full Moon schedule was about 1 and a half days ahead of the actual Moon’s phase -- by June 2, 2015, the game (and the Fmp calculations at that time would close Full Moon events hours before the real Moon was actually full. However, by September 2015 and in subsequent months, the in-game Full Moon event was observed to be well-centered on the real full moon, indicating that the previous game schedule had been changed. The formulation computing the Full Moon dates for this page was changed in November 2015 to more closely track the observed Full Moon events.
All times on this page are in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
- [Undocumented] Added halloween-restricted items.
- [Undocumented] Halloween-restricted items can now be worn during a Full Moon.
- Added a full moon background for the main menu.
- [Undocumented] Halloween-restricted items now have a pumpkin image in backpack view.
- Enabled Full Moon holiday for one week.
Summer 2015 (Unreported change)
- [Undocumented] Full Moon timing was adjusted to more closely correspond to the real lunar calendar.
- The original Full Moon schedule was every 29.5 days starting Midday, October 12, 2011, but NASA times the average length of a synodic month as 44 minutes and 3 seconds longer.