Gift Wrap is a Tool item represented by a blue, spotted roll wrapping paper, a roll of red ribbon, a scotch tape dispenser, and a Description Tag. When used on any tradable item in the user's backpack, it is replaced with a Carefully Wrapped Gift containing the item that can either be held in the user's backpack, or sent to a player on the user's friends list with the 'Send Gift' option. After clicking 'Send Gift', the gift will be sent though the Steam trading system.
Gift Wrap can be used to package an item as a gift for another player, and can be delivered to players who are offline at the time. Note that items that are normally not tradable cannot be wrapped and gifted using gift wrap. Upon use, it will create a "Carefully Wrapped Gift" and will destroy the tool in the process since it only has a single use.
After the gift is opened, the gifted item will have a description indicating who sent the gift (which matches any future name changes), the date and the time of acquisition. The time displayed is the time (on a 24 hour clock, showing seconds) at which the recipient opened the wrapped gift. The recipient of a gift cannot resend a gift to someone else as the 'Send Gift' action will be replaced with the 'Unwrap' action. Once unwrapped, the gift will become tradable.
The item can be unwrapped by the person who wrapped the gift after wrapped the gift.
Note: The item unwrapped displays the time when the gift was opened in the recipient's time zone. Sites such as backpack.tf and tf2outpost.com display the time based on the Greenwich Mean Time.
- [Undocumented] Gift Wrap was added to the game.
- [Undocumented] Gift Wrap was added to the Mann Co. Store.
- Gift Wrap will no longer prevent the counters on Strange weapons from resetting.
- Fixed a bug with removing the Gifter's Name on gift-wrapped items.
- [Undocumented] Removed Gift Wrap from the Mann Co. Store.
- Gift wrapped items will be delivered through Steam trading, and are subject to trade holds if the sender doesn't have a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator.
- Items can now be unwrapped by their original wrapper.
- Moving forward, only tradable items can be gift wrapped. Items that are currently gift wrapped can be delivered regardless of the tradability of the contents of the gift.
- Prior to the October 29, 2010 Patch, using Gift Wrap on any item would make the item fully tradable (after a recipient opened the gift), regardless of its original trading capability. Another glitch fixed by this patch was the item's name not appearing correctly in the wrapped gift's description; it was stated to contain TF_WEAPON_BAT, regardless of what the Gift Wrap was used on.
- There was a rare glitch before the October 29, 2010 Patch where sometimes a player would receive two of the same gifted item. After the patch, any duplicate gifts that were unwrapped would remain, but if the gift remained wrapped after the patch it was removed.
- It was possible for the gift-wrappable property of an item to be lost further up the crafting chain. For example, crafting 18 non-tradable but gift-wrappable Achievement weapons in the usual way could result in one non-tradable, non-gift-wrappable refined metal.