Go play your pinko chess game with the Devil, Commie.
— The Soldier turning down a game
The Grandmaster is a promotional headwear item for all classes. It is a team-colored hard hat, with a small chess board attached by a rubber spring and two strips of rubber, which bounce around as the player moves. On top of the chess board, a small device projects a small red bomb hologram on the RED team, and a blue wrench hologram on the BLU team, both of which rotate. As the player's killstreak rises, the hologram projection changes to various chess pieces.
This item is awarded in Genuine quality to players who purchase the Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Chess Set from ThinkGeek or the Valve Store.
October 2, 2013 Patch
- The Grandmaster was added to the game.
November 11, 2013 Patch
- The Grandmaster will now update its model based on the owner's current kill streak.
- The item's description refers to a pair of chess matches in 1996 and 1997 between Garry Kasparov, a former World Chess Champion and considered by some as the best of all time, and Deep Blue, a chess-playing computer developed by IBM with the intent of beating a human world champion.
- The title Grandmaster is awarded to chess players by the world chess organization FIDE. Apart from World Champion, Grandmaster is the highest title a chess player can earn.
- The Grandmaster is invisible on the Demoman.
- If a Spy Disguises as an enemy with this item, they will have their own team-colored Grandmaster, instead of the enemies team color.