Ahh, so filling! Hahaha!
— The Heavy on crit-boosting candy
The Halloween pumpkin is a pickup item unique to the Haunted maps: Harvest Event, Mann Manor, Eyeaduct, Ghost Fort, and Helltower. It is a small, hollowed out pumpkin filled with two chocolate bars and candy corn, which has a random chance of dropping from a killed player (or in Ghost Fort, from destroying a fake prop left by Merasmus). When dropped in this manner, it rotates, glows, and hovers in the same manner as a Health pack or an Ammo kit. A pumpkin will only drop while the Halloween event is active.
When picked up, it will grant 3.2 seconds of crit boost and refilled ammo to the player who picked it up. Pumpkin packages are not team-based, and can be picked up by anyone. Players who collect 20 such pickups during Halloween events will earn the Candy Coroner achievement, and unlock the Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask.
- The Scout is the best class to play when aiming to collect pumpkins, as the Scout is faster and will cover areas faster, having a significantly better chance of beating other players to pumpkins, and then having enough time to run to an enemy and utilize the power-up.
- Close range classes such as the Pyro and Spy are able to pick up their own pumpkins shortly after killing their targets. This is because they are closer to their targets than longer range classes, such as the Sniper.
- If the pumpkin is collected as the Demoman, one can use the critical boost to their advantage and pepper an area being defended with critical stickybombs.
- If the player picks up a Halloween pumpkin as the Heavy, the player should not waste time winding up the Minigun (unless the weapon equipped in the primary slot is the Tomislav, which requires much less spin-up time), and instead switch to their Shotgun or Melee weapon in order to make good use of the critical hits that the player is granted.
- Since candy drops sparsely, a player killing someone and hoping for a Crit boost is not an advisable strategy for fending off a push.
- When playing as the Sniper, if the player sees the pumpkin far away from themselves, the player is unadvised to collect it. A better strategy is to scope in on that area in order to try and catch someone on the enemy team in his/her sights while trying to get the pumpkin.
- As the Spy, the player is advised to ignore the pumpkin and continue with their normal strategy rather than to collect it and make themselves known to the enemy team. However, if an enemy already knows the player is there and has the opportunity to collect the pumpkin of their latest victim, it may be then advisable to take the pumpkin simply so the enemy does not get it and chase the player.