| Basic Information
| Map Type:
|| Payload Race
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Nighttime, cloudy
|| Pitfall, Pumpkin bombs, Skeletons, Lava
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×4 • ×7 • ×1
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×5 • ×5 • ×3
Push a corpse-filled cart through a magic-blasted, skeleton-infested terrorscape to reach the infernal maw of a gaping Hellmouth in this Halloween-themed Payload Race of utter pants-filling terror! Just to be clear: You will poop your pants.
— Helltower publicity blurb
Helltower is a Payload Race map added in the Scream Fortress 2013 Update. It is the Halloween-themed version of Hightower.
The objective is to push a cart of gravel containing the corpse of the opposing team's employer (Blutarch for RED, Redmond for BLU) to the lift at the high towers before the other team while the brothers scream at you. At the beginning of the round your team's employer will request or demand that you send their brother (The other team's employer) to hell. Once either brother is pushed to the checkpoint, all players will be sent to a demonic cave only known as Hell.
In Hell, the teams are pitted against each other, and all players must attempt to enter the Skull Island. Any player killed in Hell will become a Ghost and can pursue the living players; however, ghosts have no way to deal any damage. Pressing primary-fire as a ghost will cause the player to yell "BOO", which can be used to annoy living players but serves little other purpose. Players that survive and reach the book receive an Unfilled Fancy Spellbook, if they do not already possess one in their backpack, which can be filled with pages found from the Haunted Halloween Gift. Only those that are alive and have reached Skull Island can receive the Unfilled Fancy Spellbook.
During the witching hour, Green Skeletons will spawn along with the bridge linking to the clocktower appearing. Occasionally, the Haunted Halloween Gift will spawn for randomly selected players on the server.
Overview of the main part of the map.
Overview of the Hell part of the map.
The Mann Brothers, Redmond and Blutarch, are the Halloween-themed Payload carts unique to Helltower. After being slain by their long-lost brother Gray Mann, the ghosts of the Mann Brothers endeavour to have their respective mercenaries send the other brother to Hell so that one may claim their father's inheritance as described in Grave Matters. Thus each team must push the corpse of the other team's boss to Hell while the ghosts of their respective employers bicker, report progress, and give instruction in place of the Administrator.
RED team's cart, with Blutarch Mann inside
Close up of Blutarch Mann
BLU team's cart, with Redmond Mann inside
While the initial push to the end works like a regular Payload race on Hightower, once a team has pushed their corpse to the end, the screen will flash white as all players are transported to what is believed to be Hell.
On first arrival, all players will arrive on separate sides of a small area surrounded by lava (along with a short dance-off.) The team that has successfully pushed their cart to the end will gain a noticeable health buff as both teams are to fight over winning a prize upon Skull Island; an Unfilled Fancy Spellbook.
At this point, the game turns into a short Arena match, with no respawns. Instead, killed players will turn into ghosts. Whichever team manages to make it to the end and lower the gate around the book wins the match, even if they lost the Payload race. However, the team that wins the Payload match receives over-healing, giving them a slight advantage over the losing team in the race for the book.
- The Hightowers: Similar to the Hightowers in the Hightower map. There are movable platforms at the bottoms that when a Payload cart and at least one player is standing on it, will raise. Like the Hightower map, once the carts reach the end of the track they will detonate and all players will be sent to hell.
- Central Tower: Includes a long pit/shaft, similar to Ghost Fort.
- The Ramp: Unlike Hightower, the carts do not fall back down these ramps by gravity.
- Cliff-House: Its back wall is now opened up and can be fallen off of.
- Clocktower: Past the Cliff-House, a Clock tower can be accessed by bridges that appear during the witching hour. The ghost of Zepheniah Mann watches over the battle here but disappears during the witching hour.
- Balconies: At the end of the spawn hallways, like Hightower, are small balconies that overlook most of the battlefield.
- Tower Corridors: Some changes have been made here, including small puddle rooms on each side that players can drop down into, and small inaccessible tunnels, which can be used to teleport to the opposite tunnel when you are affected by the shrinking spell.
- The Bridge: Two bridges that allows players to access the Clocktower. They appear during the witching hour, replacing Zepheniah's ghost and disappear when it is over.
- Hell: When one of the caskets reaches its goal, both teams are sent to Hell. Hell takes on a slightly more demonic and lava-filled appearance than the map itself and still has the top half of the Central Tower. A route can be traveled across to Skull Island where surviving players can find the Bombinomicon watching the surviving players and receive a reward.
RED Tower Corridors, included the spawn door to small puddle room
Bridge connected to Clocktower
From this point of view, the winning team enters on the left, and the losing one enters on the right.
The Unfilled Fancy Spellbook
Rare Magic spell on the Clocktower
|| Attack o' Lantern|
Cause the deaths of 5 players by exploding nearby pumpkin bombs.
|| Scared Stiff|
Kill a player scared by a ghost.
|| Hat Out of Hell|
Get the loot from Skull Island in Hell
|| Helltower: Competitive Spirit|
Win 142 rounds
|| Helltower: Hell's Spells|
Get and use a rare spell
|| Helltower: Spelling Spree|
Use spells to kill 25 players
October 29, 2013 Patch (Scream Fortress 2013)
- Added Helltower to the game.
October 30, 2013 Patch
- Updated the round restart event to remove spells after playing in hell.
plr_hightower_event to improve server stability.
October 31, 2013 Patch
- Fixed players keeping their spells if they were rolling for them while leaving hell.
November 1, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a dedicated server crash related to players becoming ghosts in hell.
November 6, 2013 Patch
- Fixed being able to instantly respawn by changing teams while a ghost.
- Fixed being able to get into the enemy spawn with the teleport spell in Helltower.
November 11, 2013 Patch
- Fixed an exploit caused by attempting to change teams while in hell.
- The carts will not destroy any buildings when passing over them.
- It is possible to go outside the map in certain spots.
- When the speed boost from exiting the clock tower runs out, any speed boost from a Disciplinary Action will also be removed.
- Players do not drop ammo upon death in Hell.
- Killing players with the Half-Zatoichi will not restore your health in Hell.
- It is possible for pumpkin bombs and Skeletons to spawn directly on the exit gates of a team's base, preventing them from opening.
- Environmental death in Hell will be shown in the kill feed as bumper cars rather than the usual skull and bones, regardless of being finished off or falling in the lava.
- Each Mann brother has a knife sticking out of his back. This is a reference to when Gray Mann stabbed them at the end of the Blood Brothers comic.
- However, Gray used only one knife to commit both murders and, according to the Grave Matters comic, he dropped the knife and left it on the floor.
- The Ghost of Zepheniah Mann can be spotted on the Clocktower's walkway when the bridge is not active, presumably watching the fighting.
- A fridge can be seen on the Clocktower, a reference to when Soldier had buried Merasmus's fridge in the Doom-Mates comic.
- Either Redmond's or Blutarch's corpse (depending on who reaches the tower first) can be seen flying towards the lava next to the clock tower after the explosion.
The RED team's bomb cart.
The BLU team's bomb cart.