The Hotrod is a community-created headwear item for the Engineer. It is a gray welding helmet with team-colored flame patterns. When the Engineer is holding a blueprint of a building or hauling a building, the Hotrod flips down over his face.
- The Hotrod was added to the game.
- The Hotrod was made craftable.
- [Undocumented] Added a community-contributed description for this hat.
- [Undocumented] This hat can now be uncrated with Unusual quality.
- [Undocumented] Added this hat to the Mann Co. Store.
- Changed the equip region from "Whole Head" to "Hat."
- A Spy disguised as an Engineer who is wearing a Hotrod will have the hat flip down over his face upon switching to any kind of Sapper.
- The name and flame design is a reference to custom-built American cars with large engines, also called hot rods, which stereotypically sport a fiery paintjob.
- Hot Rod is also the title of a 1979 movie in which Grant Goodeve, the Engineer's voice actor, starred.
The Engineer wearing a welding helmet in the Engineer Update teaser video.