Upon taunting with the Equalizer or Escape Plan, the Soldier throws his weapon over his shoulder dramatically, cracks his knuckles, rips a grenade from his bandolier and pulls the pin. The resulting explosion will gib the Soldier and any enemy too slow, unaware, or simply unfortunate enough to be within range.
This taunt will destroy any enemy players and buildings that are within approximately six feet of the explosion. The area of effect of this taunt allows the Soldier to kill multiple enemies, including any that are next to or even behind the taunting player. Enemies that inflict damage to the taunting Soldier before the explosion will be credited with a Kamikaze kill.
Performing the Kamikaze taunt with the Lumbricus Lid equipped will cause the "Hallelujah" sound clip from the Worms games to play, as well as a unique kill icon being used, while using the Holy Hand Grenades.
As with most kill taunts, this taunt can be used to kill enemy players during humiliation and stalemates.
The kill icon for the Lumbricus Lid taunt was contributed by Psyke.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
|| Spray of Defeat|
Use a grenade to gib a player.
December 17, 2009 Patch
- The taunt was added to the game.
January 13, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Equalizer that the Soldier throws away can no longer be picked up as ammo; it simply disappears.
August 25, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added an unused unique sound for the Kamikaze taunt while equipped with the Lumbricus Lid.
August 26, 2010 Patch
- Fixed the Lumbricus Lid not playing the correct sound during the Equalizer taunt.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- [Undocumented] Self-damage has been increased to 320, which prevents Soldiers from surviving the taunt when overhealed normally.
January 7, 2011 Patch
- The Lumbricus Lid Kamikaze taunt kill received a unique kill icon.
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
- [Undocumented] Added a voice response for the Kamikaze taunt.
July 1, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Rocket Jumper no longer prevents self-damage from the Kamikaze kill-taunt.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] The Rocket Jumper now prevents self-damage from the Kamikaze kill-taunt.
September 6, 2012 Patch
December 20, 2013 Patch
- Fixed an exploit related to the Rocket Jumper and the Soldier's grenade taunt.
- The taunt is recognized as a rocket jump by some achievements. For example, one can earn Death From Above by killing two opponents at once with the taunt.
- The player does not see a Bombinomicon explosion after using the Kamikaze while wearing the Bombinomicon.
- If the Soldier raises the grenade through a low ceiling during detonation, he can survive and possibly do damage to the players above.
- The explosion can kill enemies on the other side of a closed setup gate.
- If the Soldier explodes near a Scout who is under the effects of Bonk! Atomic Punch, the game will register that he has killed the Scout, but the Scout will survive.
- The Kamikaze (神風, lit. "divine wind") were suicide attacks carried out by Imperial Japan's military aviators against Allied shipping towards the end of the Pacific campaign of World War II, by crashing their planes packed with explosives into Allied warships.
- The grenades on the Soldier's bandolier resemble MK2 hand grenades but with an oversized safety lever and a more blocky body.