From Team Fortress Wiki
- The hat was first awarded in Vintage quality to a limited but unspecified number of players for being a member of the KritzKast Steam Group prior to 7pm (GMT+1) June 12th 2011, 1 hour before the live recording of podcast episode #121. Before a hat was awarded, the members had to obtain a passing score on the KritzKast quiz. Players who did not win on the quiz were allowed to retake it as often as they wished so long as they left four hours between attempts. Those who were not part of the KritzKast steam group before the deadline received a message from Saxton Hale stating they were "manly enough not to receive" the "girly" hat.
- The 30 winners of the Lo-Fi Longwave Owners Group "Meet the Robin" event were also awarded Vintage hats. Those who were already in possession of Vintage were awarded a Unique version of the hat instead.
- Players were able to submit questions before August 31, 2011 for a KritzKast interview with the creator of NerfNow. The questions used in the interview had the player quoted and granted a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave.
- Since episode #129 a Vintage hat has been given to each "Player of the Week", assuming they did not already have one. This policy has been retroactively enforced.
- As part of the celebrations for episode #200, a total of 600 Unique Lo-Fi Longwaves were given out via the KritzKast Facebook page, Twitter, and Steam group.
- Players were able to submit questions before January 14, 2013 for a KritzKast interview with the creator of Backpack.tf, Brad Pitt. The 23 players whose questions were picked from the more than 6,000 submissions all received a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave, a special badge on their backpack.tf profile, and had their question used in the interview with Brad Pitt.
- Players were able to submit questions for a KritzKast interview with co-creator of Scrap.tf, Geel9, until May 12, 2013. Users whose questions were picked for interview received a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave. In addition to this, 100 random participants in voting on questions received a unique version of the hat.
- Each month, a Monthly Screenshot Competition is run in the KritzKast Steam Group. Players that win one of these competitions will receive a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave.
- In celebration of 1000 Facebook likes, KritzKast held a competition for a signed poster from i49 2013. Additionally, everyone who entered the competition received a Unique Lo-Fi Longwave.
- During the AbleGamers 24H Fundraiser for AbleGamers, KritzKast had announced at the $10000 donation milestone that those that had donated $30 or more would get a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave as an added bonus to the other perks for donating to the charity. The Lo-Fi Longwave was also given out randomly to players that were on the Ablegamers server during each donation milestone in vintage quality.
- Kritzkast's favorite participant entries to the TF2Haiku were rewarded with a Unique Lo-Fi Longwave.
- During Valentine's Day (14/02/2014) a single random winner would be drawn from within the people who commented on this post found in the KritzKast Steam Group with the person who they think should win and their nominee would receive a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave painted Pink As Hell. The players who nominated someone for the Lo-Fi also got one in Unique quality.
- On March 13th 2014, as Steam servers went down a single player could obtain a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave by coming up with the most original comment on a KritzKast Facebook post.
- On November 16th 2014, KritzKast announced on their Steam Group page, in celebration of PodKast Episode #300, 300 Lo-Fi Longwaves would be awarded to everyone who completed the mini-comp. Although, toward the end of the podcast, they announced that all 700+ people who enter the mini-comp would get a Unique Lo-Fi Longwave.
- During the Birthday event for r/RandomactsofTf2 Kritzkast donated 5 Lo-Fi Longwaves to celebrate the joyous event. Two players could get two each, for themselves and a chosen friend, if they send a screenshot of them inviting said friend to the sub-Reddit and supported either Heavy or Pyro respectively. Another one got up for grabs for commenting the best bit of advice for beginner players.
- On August 8th 2016, KritzKast member uberchain announced a contest via their Steam Group page that whoever could post video evidence of them beating his high score in the fanmade game Sandvich maker 3000 before August 13th would receive a unique Lo-Fi Longwave. The person who had the highest score by the deadline would receive a Vintage version instead. 
- On September 24th 2016, KritzKast member Agro created a "Lo-Fi Caption Contest," on the KritzKast Reddit thread:https://goo.gl/t7qjIS, which entailed that the "best two" entries would win a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave; one for the submitter, and a Unique Lo-Fi Longwave for your friend. "One winner will be decided with upvotes from Reddit on this thread. The other by KritzKast staff and people we meet on the street when we're out drinking, or eating noodles." Due to vote fluffing and other various problems, all that entered received a Vintage Lo-Fi Longwave, and those who entered the contest past the deadline received a Unique Lo-Fi Longwave in compensation for the problems.
Main article: Paint Can
Mouseover cells to preview the images on a dark background. Click on the images to enlarge them.
- [Undocumented] The Lo-Fi Longwave was added to the game.
- Updated the Lo-Fi Longwave to be paintable.
- Fixed the Lo-Fi Longwave not being able to be used in the Rebuild Headgear recipe.
- Lo-Fi, or low fidelity, is a term which describes an audio recording with technical flaws, such as distortion, hum, or background noise.
- In radio terminology, longwave refers to parts of radio spectrum with relatively long wavelengths.
- The hat's description is a tagline for pirate radio.
- This was originally from the movie Serenity.
- According to KritzKast episode 121, the radio tower was mounted directly to the classes' heads during the hat's development. It was modified by Valve to use the same hardhat as the Aperture Labs Hard Hat.
- KritzKast episode 122 elaborated to say that the radio tower was mounted into the classes' heads with concrete blocks.
- NerfNow Interview announcement and submission form
- KritzKast Episode #200
- Backpack.tf creator Interview announcement and submission form
- Brad Pitt Interview
- he/she loves me, he/she loves me hat