| Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you.”
In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes (hence the famous command of “Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads” at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor). During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here.
Cosmetic items (previously known as hats and miscellaneous items) are items that can be equipped in any one of the three cosmetic slots in the loadout screen. Valve introduced the first set of nine cosmetics (named hats at that point in time) with the Sniper vs. Spy Update on May 21, 2009 Patch, with one hat for each class. The nine hats introduced were the Batter's Helmet, Soldier's Stash, Pyro's Beanie, Demoman's Fro, Football Helmet, Mining Light, Prussian Pickelhaube, Trophy Belt, and Fancy Fedora. Several updates have since added additional cosmetics, including those designed by members of the Team Fortress 2 community through the Steam Workshop or the former contribution page on the TF2 Official Website.
There are currently a total of 1240 cosmetic items. 108 can be obtained in Vintage quality, 427 can be obtained in Strange quality, 266 can be obtained in Genuine quality (see item quality distribution), 78 can be obtained in Collector's quality, and 751 of the hats can be painted 29 colors using different varieties of Paint Cans.
While most cosmetics can be obtained through crafting, the item drop system, or bought from the Mann Co. Store, some cosmetics are only available to players via other means. Multiple cosmetics can only be obtained by completing in-game achievements. Other cosmetics have been added as promotions for various Steam games and events in the Steam Store. While it is possible to obtain most of these cosmetics via trading with other players, there is no option to buy these cosmetics from the Mann Co. Store (aside from those released with Total War: SHOGUN 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and the QUAKECON Pack). Only players with the premium account type can receive cosmetics randomly through the item drop system.
With the release of the Mann-Conomy Update, Unusual quality versions of certain cosmetics have a 0.66% chance of being "uncrated" when the player opens a Mann Co. Supply Crate. These cosmetics function in exactly the same way as Unique cosmetics except for the addition of 1 of 79 unusual particle effects, chosen at random from applicable groups (certain effects are only obtainable during special events) when the hat is obtained.
Cosmetics do not affect gameplay. With the release of the July 10, 2013 Patch, Item sets from the Polycount Pack (with the exception of The Saharan Spy set, which adds custom particle effects while taunting) now only provide a visual cosmetic grave marker upon defeating your enemies. However, wearing the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Head and the Saxton Hale Mask makes the wearer immune to the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Boo taunt. Additionally, the Bootie Time and Jingle Belt make jingling sounds, possibly giving away the location of the wearer and making them more noticeable.
Some cosmetics have the holiday or event restrictions, meaning those cosmetics can't seen by everyone except in loadout when it's not in holiday or event times. Additionally, Pyroland items can only be seen by yourself and any other players who are wearing an item that allows them to see in Pyrovision or is viewing a player who has equipped an item which enables Pyrovision as a Spectator with the "When spectating, view the world from the eyes of a Pyro" option turned on.
On January 10th 2013, a blog post was made, announcing that, after January 24th 2013, the original nine hats added in the Sniper vs. Spy Update would be retired, making them unobtainable through crafting, random drops, Mann Co. Supply Crates (in Unusual quality only) or the Mann Co. Store any more after January 24th. The only source that was mentioned to be not being removed is existing Mann Co. Supply Crates with any of the hats listed as possible results.
On December 20th 2013, the "Head" and "Misc" slots for player loadouts were merged together to form Cosmetic loadout slots. All items that were previously Head- or Misc-slot-specific could then be equipped in any Cosmetic slot.
List of cosmetic items
A mock magazine, Hat-Wearing Man
, appeared at the end of the Sniper vs. Spy Update
announcing the first hats as a bonus.
May 21, 2009 Patch
(Sniper vs. Spy Update
August 13, 2009 Patch (Classless Update)
- Added Baseball Bill's Sports Shine, Bonk Helm, Ye Olde Baker Boy, Stainless Pot, Tyrant's Helm, Brigade Helm, Respectless Rubber Glove, Glengarry Bonnet, Scotsman's Stove Pipe, Officer's Ushanka, Tough Guy's Toque, Engineer's Cap, Texas Slim's Dome Shine, Texas Ten Gallon, Otolaryngologist's Mirror, Vintage Tyrolean, Master's Yellow Belt, Professional's Panama, Ritzy Rick's Hair Fixative, Backbiter's Billycock, and Camera Beard.
- [Undocumented] Added Miscellaneous loadout slot.
- [Undocumented] Added Gentle Manne's Service Medal.
September 2, 2009 Patch
October 29, 2009 Patch (Haunted Halloween Special)
November 2, 2009 Patch
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
January 27, 2010 Patch
March 18, 2010 Patch (First Community Contribution Update)
April 15, 2010 Patch
April 29, 2010 Patch (119th Update)
May 5, 2010 Patch
May 20, 2010 Patch (Second Community Contribution Update)
- Added Whoopee Cap, Sergeant's Drill Hat, Vintage Merryweather, Whiskered Gentleman, Tippler's Tricorne, Heavy Duty Rag, Safe'n'Sound, Ze Goggles, Gentleman's Gatsby, Bloke's Bucket Hat, and Frenchman's Beret.
May 21, 2010 Patch
June 10, 2010 Patch (Mac Update)
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- A second misc slot is added.
July 19, 2010 Patch
August 25, 2010 Patch
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- Added Milkman, Bombing Run, Grenadier's Softcap, Chieftain's Challenge, Stout Shako, Dr's Dapper Topper, Attendant, Old Guadalajara, Napper's Respite, Handyman's Handle, Sober Stuntman, Carouser's Capotain, Pugilist's Protector, Hard Counter, Ol' Snaggletooth, Familiar Fez, Mann Co. Cap, Ellis' Cap, and the Wiki Cap.
- The second misc slot is removed and is replaced by the Action slot.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
November 3, 2010 Patch
November 19, 2010 Patch
December 7, 2010 Patch
December 13, 2010 Patch
December 17, 2010 Patch (Australian Christmas)
- Added A Rather Festive Tree, Flipped Trilby, Buckaroos Hat, Blighted Beak, Prince Tavish's Crown, Exquisite Rack, Madame Dixie, Coupe D'isaster, Detective Noir, German Gonzila, Le Party Phantom, Larrikin Robin, Defiant Spartan, Scotch Bonnet, Berliner's Bucket Helm, Magnificent Mongolian, Big Chief, Pyromancer's Mask, Prancer's Pride, Industrial Festivizer, and the World Traveler's Hat.
December 21, 2010 Patch
December 22, 2010 Patch
January 24, 2011 Patch
February 28, 2011 Patch
March 10, 2011 Patch (Shogun Pack)
March 23, 2011 Patch (Japan Charity Bundle)
April 5, 2011 Patch
April 7, 2011 Patch (Third Community Contribution Update)
- Added Sight for Sore Eyes, Reggaelator, Honcho's Headgear, Big Country, Professor's Peculiarity, Teddy Roosebelt, Googly Gazer, Medic's Mountain Cap, Grimm Hatte, Private Eye, and Charmer's Chapeau.
- [Undocumented] Added Resurrection Associate Pin.
April 28, 2011 Patch
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
May 12, 2011 Patch
May 31, 2011 Patch
June 3, 2011 Patch
June 10, 2011 Patch
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- Added Bonk Boy, Armored Authority, Jumper's Jeepcap, Fancy Dress Uniform, Pocket Medic, Sultan's Ceremonial, Capo's Capper, Desert Marauder, Cosa Nostra Cap, Made Man, and Professor Speks.
- [Undocumented] Made Planeswalker Goggles a miscellaneous item.
July 1, 2011 Patch (Summer Camp Sale)
July 20, 2011 Patch
July 29, 2011 Patch
August 2, 2011 Patch
August 3, 2011 Patch
August 9, 2011 Patch
- Renamed Tamrielic Relic to Dragonborn Helmet.
August 18, 2011 Patch
August 23, 2011 Patch
August 30, 2011 Patch
September 15, 2011 Patch
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Added Manniversary Paper Hat, Backwards Ballcap, Hot Dogger, Hat With No Name, Salty Dog, Birdcage, Flamboyant Flamenco, Little Buddy, Buccaneer's Bicorne, Tavish DeGroot Experience, Gym Rat, One-Man Army, Outdoorsman, Pencil Pusher, Virtual Reality Headset, Swagman's Swatter, Your Worst Nightmare, Counterfeit Billycock, L'Inspecteur, Stereoscopic Shades, Ball-Kicking Boots, Cremator's Conscience, A Whiff of the Old Brimstone, Builder's Blueprints, Couvre Corner, Surgeon's Stethoscope, Crocodile Smile, Spectre's Spectacles, Merc's Pride Scarf, Flair!, Photo Badge and Clan Pride.
- Bonk Boy and Foster's Facade are now miscellaneous slot items.
- Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect animations have been added.
- LOD models added to several older cosmetic items.
- Players can now equip two misc items at once.
- [Undocumented] Made Noh Mercy, Large Luchadore and the Sniper's Snipin' Glass miscellaneous items.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- Added Wrap Battler, B-ankh!, Futankhamun, Idiot Box, Steel Pipes, Shoestring Budget, Blazing Bull, Fallen Angel, Tail From the Crypt, Hair of the Dog, Scottish Snarl, Pickled Paws, Can Opener, Soviet Stitch-Up, Steel-Toed Stompers, Buzz Killer, Frontier Flyboy, Legend of Bugfoot, Einstein, Dr. Gogglestache, Emerald Jarate, Holy Hunter, Silver Bullets, Garlic Flank Stake, Under Cover, Griffin's Gog, Intangible Ascot, Seal Mask, Apparition's Aspect, Last Breath, Bombinomicon, MONOCULUS!, Spine-Chilling Skull 2011, and Infernal Impaler.
- Fixed Spine-Chilling Skull not appearing when equipped by Soldiers
- [Undocumented] All Ghastly Gibuses have been upgraded to Ghastlier Gibuses.
- [Undocumented] All Ghastlier Gibuses have been upgraded to the Ghastlierest Gibuses.
- [Undocumented] All hats that had Halloween restrictions can now be worn during Full Moons.
- [Undocumented] Spine-Chilling Skull and Voodoo Juju are no longer craftable.
November 10, 2011 Patch
November 16, 2011 Patch
November 22, 2011 Patch
November 23, 2011 Patch
November 29, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Fixed certain all-class hats not showing up until the player touches a resupply cabinet.
December 1, 2011 Patch
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
- Added Big Elfin Deal, Bootie Time, All-Father, Kringle Collection, Ornament Armament, Moonman Backpack, Jingle Belt, Bubble Pipe, Head Warmer, Sandvich Safe, Brainiac Goggles, Brainiac Hairpiece, Stocking Stuffer, Outback Intellectual, Brown Bomber, Dr. Grordbort's Copper Crest, Dr. Grordbort's Silver Crest, Ebenezer, and Holiday Headcase.
- Added Full Head Of Steam as a Foundry achievement milestone reward.
December 21, 2011 Patch
December 23, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added "glasses" equip region to the Brain Bucket.
- [Undocumented] Removed Scout's headset when equipped with the Brown Bomber.
January 11, 2012 Patch
January 17, 2012 Patch
January 26, 2012 Patch
February 2, 2012 Patch
February 9, 2012 Patch
February 14, 2012 Patch
February 23, 2012 Patch
March 1, 2012 Patch
March 8, 2012 Patch
March 22, 2012 Patch
March 28, 2012 Patch
April 17, 2012 Patch
April 18, 2012 Patch
- Added LODs on Ghastly Gibus for all classes.
May 3, 2012 Patch
May 10, 2012 Patch
May 17, 2012 Patch
May 31, 2012 Patch
June 11, 2012 Patch
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- Added Fed-Fightin' Fedora, Dillinger's Duffel, Helmet Without a Home, Captain's Cocktails, HazMat Headcase, Burning Bongos, Infernal Orchestrina, Bird-Man of Aberdeen, Apparatchik's Apparel, Idea Tube, Business Casual, Liquidator's Lid, Gentleman's Ushanka, Robot Chicken Hat Balloonicorn and Pyrovision Goggles.
- [Undocumented] Pocket Medic, Triboniophorus Tyrannus, Cremator's Conscience, Bird-Man of Aberdeen, Alien Swarm Parasite, and Balloonicorn and are now credited with assists on unassisted kills in Pyroland.
- [Undocumented] Added Gentle Munitionne of Leisure as a Doomsday achievement milestone reward.
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Teddy Roosebelt can now get assist credits.
- Fixed hatless hats not not-drawing correctly.
July 2, 2012 Patch
- Teddy Roosebelt can now get assists in Pyrovision.
July 10, 2012 Patch
July 20, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the world model of Scotch Bonnet.
August 2, 2012 Patch (Triad Pack)
August 10, 2012 Patch
August 11, 2012 Patch
August 15, 2012 Patch (Mann vs. Machine)
- Added Archimedes, RoBro 3000 , and Soldier's Stogie.
- [Undocumented] Added the U-clank-a, Stealth Steeler, Tin Pot, Robot Running Man, Bolted Bushman, Tin-1000, Pyrobotics Pack, Medic Mech-bag, Battery Bandolier, and Tour of Duty Badge.
August 17, 2012 Patch
August 21, 2012 Patch
September 4, 2012 Patch
- Added Crafty Hair, Area 451, and Vigilant Pin.
- Backpack sounds updated for MONOCULUS!, Manniversary Paper Hat, Party Hat, Rogue's Col Roule, Scrap Pack, Professor's Pineapple, Googly Gazer, Liquor Locker, and Something Special For Someone Special.
- The Professor's Peculiarity and Teufort Tooth Kickers are now craftable.
- Loosened equip region restrictions for the Whiskered Gentleman, Sight for Sore Eyes, Googly Gazer, and Nine-Pipe Problem.
- Added styles to Big Country, Professor's Peculiarity, and Copper's Hard Top.
- The Scrap Pack, HOUWAR, and Birdcage can now get kill assists in Pyroland.
- [Undocumented] Fixed Tin-1000 not forcing the proper bodygroup.
- [Undocumented] Changed the Captain's Cocktails to item type, "Decorative Bombs".
September 6, 2012 Patch
September 21, 2012 Patch
September 27, 2012 Patch
October 9, 2012 Patch
October 17, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Vigilant Pin is now tradable, giftable, craftable, and can be used in crafting.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Voodoo-Cursed Souls Ghostly Gibus, Master Mind, Crone's Dome, Executioner, Zipperface, Grand Duchess Tiara, Grand Duchess Tutu, Grand Duchess Fairy Wings, Voodoo Juju (Slight Return), Wraith Wrap, Rump-o'-Lantern, Sir Hootsalot, Scarecrow, Bonedolier, Plutonidome, Spooky Shoes, Spooky Sleeves, Boo Balloon, Unknown Monkeynaut, Dead Little Buddy, Exorcizor, Coffin Kit, and Skull Island Topper.
November 16, 2012 Patch
November 29, 2012 Patch
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
- Added Soldier's Slope Scopers, Cold Killer, Tough Stuff Muffs, Barnstormer, Carl, Brock's Locks, Aqua Flops, Hunger Force, DethKapp, Rail Spikes, Nose Candy, Hanger-On Hood, Flight of the Monarch, Flunkyware, Mann Co. Online Cap, Antlers, Winter Wonderland Wrap, Cut Throat Concierge, Der Wintermantel, Cool Breeze, Doc's Holiday, Digit Divulger, Heavy's Hockey Hair, Mutton Mann, Merc's Muffler, Operation Mecha Engine Badge, Smissmas Wreath, and Reindoonicorn.
January 8, 2013 Patch
January 16, 2013 Patch
- The Prize Plushy can now get assists in Pyrovision.
January 24, 2013 Patch
- Updated the equip_region setting for The Bootie Time.
February 14, 2013 Patch
February 15, 2013 Patch
February 18, 2013 Patch
February 22, 2013 Patch
March 4, 2013 Patch
March 12, 2013 Patch
March 19, 2013 Patch
April 3, 2013 Patch
May 13, 2013 Patch
May 17, 2013 Patch (Robotic Boogaloo)
- Added Bonk Leadwear, Bot Dogger, Ye Oiled Baker Boy, Full Metal Drill Hat, Steel Shako, Tyrantium Helmet, Bolted Birdcage, Electric Escorter, Firewall Helmet, Metal Slug, Plumber's Pipe, Pyro's Boron Beanie, Respectless Robo-Glove, Bolted Bicorne, Broadband Bonnet, Cyborg Stunt Helmet, FR-0, Pure Tin Capotain, Strontium Stove Pipe, Bunsen Brave, Gridiron Guardian, Tungsten Toque, Data Mining Light, Plug-In Prospector, Texas Tin-Gallon, Timeless Topper, Halogen Head Lamp, Platinum Pickelhaube, Titanium Tyrolean, Virus Doctor, Letch's LED, Shooter's Tin Topi, Soldered Sensei, Base Metal Billycock, Bootleg Base Metal Billycock, Galvanized Gibus, Modest Metal Pile of Scrap, Noble Nickel Amassment of Hats, Towering Titanium Pillar of Hats, Bolt Boy, Soldier's Sparkplug, Filamental, Googol Glass Eyes, Rusty Reaper, Scrap Sack, Bolted Bombardier, HDMI Patch, Scrumpy Strongbox, Titanium Towel, Teddy Robobelt, Byte'd Beak, Mecha-Medes, Practitioner's Processing Mask, Steam Pipe, Dual-Core Devil Doll, Megapixel Beard, and Electric Badge-aloo.
June 3, 2013 Patch
June 6, 2013 Patch
June 10, 2013 Patch
June 13, 2013 Patch
- Added Cloud Crasher, Powdered Practitioner, Well-Rounded Rifleman, Pom-Pommed Provocateur, Brotherhood of Arms, Beastly Bonnet, Centurion, Tartan Shade, Breakneck Baggies, Mair Mask, Dark Age Defender, Tyurtlenek, Pocket Pyro, Cheet Sheet, Steel Sixpack, Tartantaloons and Hardy Laurel.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Added Tartan Spartan, Bear Necessities, Glasgow Great Helm, Burning Bandana, Caribbean Conqueror, Harmburg, Wet Works, Katyusha, Black Watch, Virtual Viewfinder, Das Ubersternmann, Pampered Pyro, Das Maddendoktor, Das Hazmattenhatten, Rebel Rouser, Baron von Havenaplane, Tsarboosh, Pardner's Pompadour, Valley Forge, Das Naggenvatcher, Whirly Warrior, Stormin' Norman, Greased Lightning, Federal Casemaker, Belgian Detective, Das Gutenkutteharen, Hive Minder, Das Fantzipantzen, Compatriot, Birdman of Australiacatraz, Das Feelinbeterbager, Brawling Buccaneer, Delinquent's Down Vest, El Muchacho, Red Army Robin, Half-Pipe Hurdler, Dry Gulch Gulp, Colonial Clogs, Bolshevik Biker, Bigg Mann on Campus, Cobber Chameleon, Lieutenant Bites, Rogue's Brogues, Das Metalmeatencasen, Hornblower, Falconer, Gaelic Golf Bag, Graybanns, Flared Frontiersman, Shogun's Shoulder Guard, Whiskey Bib, Gaelic Garb, Macho Mann, Gabe Glasses, Borscht Belt, Blood Banker, Backpack Broiler, After Dark, Cool Cat Cardigan, Caffeine Cooler, Trash Toter, Soot Suit, Founding Father and Heavy-Weight Champ.
October 2, 2013 Patch
October 10, 2013 Patch
- Added Bone Dome, Cotton Head, Pirate Bandana, Slick Cut, Brim-Full Of Bullets, L'homme Burglerre, Hong Kong Cone, Flapjack, Air Raider, Pop-eyes, Trickster's Turnout Gear, Hurt Locher, Cuban Bristle Crisis, Weight Room Warmer, Beep Boy, Gold Digger, Special Eyes, A Brush with Death, Medical Mystery, Ward, Chronomancer, Li'l Snaggletooth, Escapist, Frenchman's Formals and Viking Braider.
October 29, 2013 Patch (Scream Fortress 2013)
- Added Abhorrent Appendages, Accursed Apparition, Alternative Medicine Mann, Archimedes the Undying, Baphomet Trotters, Beacon from Beyond, Beast From Below, Birdie Bonnet, Bountiful Bow, Bozo's Bouffant, Bozo's Brogues, Burny's Boney Bonnet, Cadaver's Capper, Candleer, Candyman's Cap, Cap'n Calamari, Carious Chameleon, Carrion Companion, Cauterizer's Caudal Appendage, Chicken Kiev, Corpsemopolitan, Creature From The Heap, Crispy Golden Locks, Cryptic Keepsake, Dark Helm, Das Blutliebhaber, Death Support Pack, Ethereal Hood, External Organ, Face Plante, Faun Feet, Faux Manchu, Foul Cowl, Freedom Feathers, Glob, Gothic Guise, Grease Monkey, Grisly Gumbo, Grub Grenades, Guano, Hallowed Headcase, Halloweiner, Handhunter, Hardium Helm, Hard-Headed Hardware, Haunted Hat, Headtaker's Hood, Hidden Dragon, Hollowhead, Horned Honcho, Horrific Head of Hare, Horsemann's Hand-Me-Down, Hound's Hood, Hyperbaric Bowler, Ivan The Inedible, Jupiter Jumpers, Larval Lid, Last Bite, Lieutenant Bites the Dust, Lo-Grav Loafers, Lordly Lapels, Macabre Mask, Magical Mercenary, Maniac's Manacles, Manneater, Mann-Bird of Aberdeen, Medimedes, Monster's Stompers, Monstrous Mandible, Mucous Membrain, One-Way Ticket, Parasight, Pin Pals, Pocket Horsemann, Polly Putrid, PY-40 Incinibot, Quoth, Ramses' Regalia, Raven's Visage, Rugged Respirator, Sackcloth Spook, Scorched Skirt, Second Opinion, Shaman's Skull, Shaolin Sash, Sir Shootsalot, Snaggletoothed Stetson, Space Bracers, Spectralnaut, Spellbinder's Bonnet, Sprinting Cephalopod, Squid's Lid, Surgeon's Space Suit, Terrier Trousers, Teutonkahmun, Transylvania Top, Trepanabotomizer, Tuque or Treat, Unidentified Following Object, Up Pyroscopes, Vicar's Vestments, and Vicious Visage.
- Updated Air Raider so it can be painted correctly.
- Updated Bone Dome so it doesn't hide Pyro's backpack.
October 30, 2013 Patch
- Updated Chicken Kiev so it can't be equipped with Cold War Luchador or Large Luchadore.
November 6, 2013 Patch
- Updated the equip region for Ivan The Inedible to match the other Spooky Companion items.
November 11, 2013 Patch
- The Grandmaster will now update its model based on the owner's current kill streak
- Updated the Jupiter Jumpers so they can be equipped with the Mantreads and the Gunboats
November 22, 2013 Patch
- Fixed a bug that would cause robot "gate hat" items to be craftable. Replaced all Gate hats with Glitched Circuit Boards.
November 26, 2013 Patch
December 18, 2013 Patch
December 20, 2013 Patch (Smissmas 2013)
- "Head" and "Misc" slots for player loadouts have been converted to Cosmetic slots. All items that were previously Head- or Misc-slot-specific can now be equipped in any Cosmetic slot.
- Added Angel of Death, Antarctic Parka, Blizzard Breather, Chucklenuts, Dead of Night, Dictator, Dogfighter, Extra Layer, Face Full of Festive, Five-Month Shadow, Golden Garment, Highland High Heels, Kiss King, Little Drummer Mann, Mann Of House, Mann of Reason, Marshall's Mutton Chops, Minnesota Slick, Neckwear Headwear, Nunhood, Polar Pullover, Ruffled Ruprecht, Runner's Warm-Up, Scout Shako, Slo-Poke, Snow Scoper, Sub Zero Suit, Tartan Tyrolean, Tiny Timber, Toy Soldier, Toy Tailor, and Trail-Blazer.
February 7, 2014 Patch (Strongbox Pack)
- Added Antarctic Researcher, Archers Groundings, Backstabber's Boomslang, Big Daddy, Bullet Buzz, Bushi-Dou, Colonel's Coat, Combat Slacks, Cute Suit, Dark Falkirk Helm, Deep Cover Operator, Dough Puncher, Ein, Eliminators Safeguard, Fashionable Megalomaniac, First American, Gaiter Guards, Gone Commando, Ground Control, Heat of Winter, Heavy Lifter, Heer's Helmet, Huntsman's Essentials, Juggernaut Jacket, Killer's Kit, Law, Leftover Trap, Mister Bubbles, Mustachioed Mann, Napolean Complex, Rat Stompers, Sammy Cap, Sangu Sleeves, Scotch Saver, Smock Surgeon, Sole Mate, Sole Saviors, Stylish DeGroot, Teutonic Toque, Ticket Boy, Toowoomba Tunic, Trash Man, Trencher's Topper, Trencher's Tunic, War Goggles, and Warmth Preserver.
February 11, 2014 Patch
- Updated several cosmetic items that were missing an item_type description.
- Updated several cosmetic items to count as assisters in Pyrovision.
- Updated the Medi-Mask to use equip_region beard instead of face.
February 19, 2014 Patch
March 5, 2014 Patch
- Renamed the Baronial Bouncer to Gilded Guard, Cutthroat's Cloak to Criminal Cloak, and Garrett Badge to Baronial Badge.
April 1, 2014 Patch
- Added the smoke effect to the Soldier's Stogie.
- Added the InfoShow 2014 Tournament Participant Medal.
- Updated equip_regions for the Humanitarian's Hachimaki, the Special Eyes, the Blazing Bull, the Master's Yellow Belt, the Lucky Shot, and the Deadliest Duckling.
- Fixed seeing the incorrect cosmetic items on players when the server has been running for a long time.
- Fixed cosmetics not dropping into the world when players are killed.
- Fixed the Jarate effect not being displayed on some cosmetic items.
- Fixed seeing the fire texture on Runner's Warm-Up and the Tiny Timber in DirectX 8
- Fixed The Doe-Boy using incorrect team materials.
- [Undocumented] Added the Little Bear.
- [Undocumented] Added the Dread Hiding Hood, Criminal Cloak, Gilded Guard, and Baronial Badge to the Mann Co. Store.
- [Undocumented] The Dread Hiding Hood, Criminal Cloak, Gilded Guard, and Baronial Badge are now craftable, tradable, giftable and were added to the item drop system.
- [Undocumented] Updated the equip_region for the Hero's Hachimaki, Soldier's Stash, Gaelic Garb, Sangu Sleeves, Whiskey Bib, Trash Toter, and the Soldered Sensei.
April 18, 2014 Patch
April 24, 2014 Patch
May 15, 2014 Patch
- Updated the equip_region for the Pyromancer's Mask.
- Fixed the equip_region for tournament medals conflicting with other items.
- Added the LBTF2 Season 9 tournament medals.
June 11, 2014 Patch
June 18, 2014 Patch (Love & War Update)
- Added the Argyle Ace, Frickin' Sweet Ninja Hood, Paisley Pro, Pomade Prince, Red Socks, Southie Shinobi, Classified Coif, Man in Slacks, Spook Specs, Combustible Kabuto, Employee of the Mmmph, Frymaster, Gas Guzzler, Lunatic's Leathers, Senguko Scorcher, Smoking Skid Lid, Allbrero, Frontier Djustice, Razor Cut, Seeing Double, Six Pack Abs, Yuri's Revenge, Danger, Egghead's Overalls, Endothermic Exowear, Joe-on-the-Go, Level Three Chin, Lonesome Loafers, Peacenik's Ponytail, Tools of the Trade, Chronoscarf, Medicine Manpurse, Ze Übermensch, Scoper's Smoke, Triggerman's Tacticals, Au Courant Assassin, Aviator Assassin, Rogue's Robe, Sky Captain, Merc's Mohawk, Bruiser's Bandanna, Eye-Catcher, Tipped Lid, and the Vive La France.
- Mann Co. Store
- Added all new cosmetics to a cosmetic bundle.
- The "Hats" and "Misc" categories have been merged into "Cosmetics".
- Added Bread Box Special Crafting Recipe which requires 3 cosmetics. This recipe will no longer be available after July 9th, 2014. Items from the Bread box have a chance to be strange.
- Added OzFortress Season 11 tournament medals.
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause items to unequip themselves.
- Fixed cosmetics shared between multiple classes not rendering correctly.
- Updated the cosmetic item list to sort by name.
July 8, 2014 Patch
- Added tournament medals for UGC and Tumblr vs Reddit competitors.
August 13, 2014 Patch
August 27, 2014 Patch
September 10, 2014 Patch
- Added tournament medals for the ETF2L and RETF2 EE22.
September 17, 2014 Patch
September 25, 2014 Patch
October 29, 2014 Patch (Scream Fortress 2014)
- Added Claws And Infect, Crazy Legs, Fowl Fists, Head Hunter, Nugget Noggin, Talon Trotters, Battle Bird, Ghoul Gibbin' Gear, Hellhunter's Headpiece, Supernatural Stalker, Arsonist Apparatus, Creature's Grin, Lollichop Licker, Moccasin Machinery, Mr. Juice, Vampyro, Eyeborg, Forgotten King's Pauldrons, Forgotten King's Restless Head, Mannhattan Project, Bone-Cut Belt, Bull Locks, Immobile Suit, Minsk Beef, Beep Man, Garden Bristles, Iron Fist, Soul of 'Spensers Past, Tiny Texan, Herzensbrecher, Hundkopf, Kriegsmaschine-9000, Templar's Spirit, Vampire Makeover, Vampiric Vesture, Wings of Purity, Cranial Conspiracy, Kanga Kickers, Marsupial Man, Marsupial Muzzle, Mr. Mundee's Wild Ride, Roo Rippers, Scaly Scrapers, Facepeeler, Nightmare Hunter, Rogue's Rabbit, Shadowman's Shade, Ghost of Spies Checked Past, Hooded Haunter, Li'l Dutchman, and Deadliest Catch.
October 30, 2014 Patch
November 26, 2014 Patch
December 3, 2014 Patch
December 8, 2014 Patch (End of the Line Update)
- Added Brooklyn Booties, Thermal Tracker, Coldfront Curbstompers, Condor Cap, Mistaken Movember, Screamin' Eagle, North Polar Fleece, Wartime Warmth, Bomber's Bucket Hat, Double Dog Dare Demo Pants, Double Dynamite, Snow Sleeves, Fur-lined Fighter, Hunter Heavy, Sleeveless in Siberia, Insulated Inventor, Snow Stompers, Boxcar Bomber, Coldsnap Cap, Flashdance Footies, and Winter Woodsman
December 10, 2014 Patch
- Updated the
equip_region and bodygroup settings for some of the new cosmetic items.
- [Undocumented] Updated the item type of a number of new cosmetic items.
December 12, 2014 Patch
December 17, 2014 Patch
December 22, 2014 Patch (Smissmas 2014)
- Added Co-Pilot, Courtier's Collar, Harlequin's Hooves, Mountebank's Masque, Skullcap, Black Knight's Bascinet, Charred Chainmail, Pyromancer's Hood, Pyromancer's Raiments, Torcher's Tabard, Scot Bonnet, Valhalla Helm, Old Man Frost, Siberian Facehugger, Clubsy The Seal, Conagher's Combover, Cop Caller, Holstered Heaters, Thermal Insulation Layer, Surgeon's Shako, Unknown Mann, Bushman's Bristles, Marksman's Mohair, Professional's Ushanka, Wally Pocket, Pocket Momma, Puffy Provocateur, Stealthy Scarf, and Snow Stompers.
- [Undocumented] Added LBTF2 Highlander and 6v6 Season 10 tournament medals, and FBTF 6v6 tournament medals.
- [Undocumented] Renamed LBTF2 tournament medals to Tournament Medal - LBTF2 6v6 Tournament (Season 9).
- [Undocumented] Added description to Limited Late Summer Pack items.
December 23, 2014 Patch Patch #2
January 15, 2015 Patch
January 27, 2015 Patch
February 18, 2015 Patch
- Fixed cosmetics casting shadows at the wrong time.
- Added OWL 12 6vs6 tournament medals.
March 12, 2015 Patch
March 12, 2015 Patch
- Added UGC tournament medals: Highlander (Seasons 13 and 14), 6vs6 (Seasons 15 and 16) and 4vs4 (Seasons 2 and 3).
March 31, 2015 Patch
- Added Gamers Assembly 2015 tournament medals.
April 29, 2015 Patch
- Added Jaunty Pin 2015.
- Added ETF2L tournament medals: Highlander (Season 9), 6vs6 (Season 20) and Ultiduo (Season 5).
August 18, 2015 Patch
August 27, 2015 Patch (Gun Mettle Update)
- Added Bruce's Bonnet, Captain Cardbeard Cutthroat, Commissar's Coat, El Duderino, Flak Jack, Fortunate Son, Lurker's Leathers, Outta' Sight, Physician's Protector, Potassium Bonnett, Rotation Sensation, Sheriff's Stetson, Support Spurs, Vascular Vestment, White Russian, and Wild West Waistcoat.
October 6, 2015 Patch (Invasion Community Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Cadet Visor, A Head Full of Hot Air, Jupiter Jetpack, Phobos Filter, Space Diver, Universal Translator, Sucker Slug, Life Support System, Rocket Operator, Corona Australis, Final Frontiersman, Starduster, Graylien, Captain Space Mann, Phononaut, Space Hamster Hammy and Invasion Community Update Medal.
October 28, 2015 Patch (Scream Fortress 2015)
- Added Hellmet, Face of Mercy, El Patron, Smokey Sombrero, Thrilling Tracksuit, B'aaarrgh-n-Britches, Prehistoric Pullover, Roboot, Duck Billed Hatypus, Iron Lung, Neptune's Nightmare, El Caballero, B'aaarrgh-n-Bicorne, Death Racer's Helmet, Grim Tweeter, Crusader's Getup, Dead'er Alive, Arthropod's Aspect, and Catastrophic Companions.
November 13, 2015 Patch
- Fixed random client crashes affecting some players with cosmetics.
November 25, 2015 Patch
December 4, 2015 Patch
- Added Firefly, Fear Monger, Arkham Cowl, Teufort Knight, Bat Backup, Caped Crusader, Pocket Villians, Sidekick's Side Slick, Hood of Sorrows, Batter's Bracers, Batbelt, Buttler, Crook Combatant, Special Snowflake and Gift of Giving.
December 17, 2015 Patch (Tough Break Update)
- Added Bonk Batter's Backup, Hot Heels, Diplomat, Gift Bringer, Patriot Peak, Shin Shredders, Siberian Sweater, Winter Backup, Berlin Brain Bowl, Bunnyhopper's Ballistics Vest, Medical Monarch, A Hat to Kill For, Chicago Overcoat, A Well Wrapped Hat, and Chill Chullo.
January 7, 2016 Patch
April 25, 2016 Patch
- Added tournament medals for AsiaFortress Cup Season 9, ozfortress Season 15, and ozfortress Summer Cup 2016, ETF2L 6v6 Season 22 and Season 23, and ETF2L Highlander Season 9 and Season 10.
May 11, 2016 Patch
- Added Scoped Spartan, Demo's Dustcatcher, Surgical Survivalist, Squire's Sabatons, Courtly Cuirass, Airdog, Patriot's Pouches, Gauzed Gaze, Lurking Legionnaire, Herald's Helm, Dad Duds, Dayjogger, Skullcap, and Bedouin Bandana.
May 11, 2016 Patch
- Renamed the Skullcap in the Mayflower Cosmetic Case to the Dead Head to resolve a name conflict with another item.
- Due to a glitch involving high latency, players may equip multiple cosmetics that cannot be normally equipped together.
- This can also be performed by leaving the cosmetic slots empty, disconnecting the internet (if possible), returning and selecting the cosmetics the user wants to combine and reconnects, the player will have their selection. However, if the player dies or touches a resupply, they will return to normal. This is due to the item server only losing connection after 10 seconds, so the player can trick the item server to apply hats selected, not by confliction.
- A crafting recipe exists for smelting three Miscellaneous items into Scrap Metal in the game files. This recipe was once used when the only craftable miscellaneous item yet released was the Camera Beard, which dropped at the same rate as normal weapons. The recipe is currently disabled in-game.
- ↑ "The Mac Update!", Teamfortress.com, June 10, 2010
- ↑ "History", Teamfortress.com, retrieved Feb. 13, 2012