I have many medals!
— The Heavy on his Miscellaneous collection
Miscellaneous items, commonly abbreviated as misc. items, are wearable items with their own 'Misc' section in the loadout screen, though they count as headgear for crafting purposes. Like most hats, they have no effect on gameplay and exist for cosmetic purposes only. As they occupy their own equipment slot, they can be worn in conjunction with hats. Misc. items are either unlocked through achieving certain requirements, dropped during in-game playtime or, for certain misc. items, purchased from the Mann Co. Store or given out as promotional items for playing or pre-purchasing other games on Steam.
Valve announced in the June 30, 2011 blog post that there would soon be more than one misc. slot, and that it would be possible to wear multiple misc. items. The second slot went live in the beta on September 21, 2011 Patch (Beta), and in the main game on October 13, 2011 Patch.
There are currently a total of 306 miscellaneous items.
List of miscellaneous items
Miscellaneous items can be crafted in any blueprint that requires headgear to function. These are the current misc. items that function as headgear, in order of their addition to the game:
August 13, 2009 Patch
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
March 18, 2010 Patch (First Community Contribution Update)
April 29, 2010 Patch (119th Update)
May 5, 2010 Patch
May 21, 2010 Patch
June 10, 2010 Patch (Mac Update)
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- A second misc slot is added.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- The second misc slot is removed and is replaced by the Action slot.
November 19, 2010 Patch
December 13, 2010 Patch
December 21, 2010 Patch
December 22, 2010 Patch
January 24, 2011 Patch
April 7, 2011 Patch (Third Community Contribution Update)
April 28, 2011 Patch
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
May 12, 2011 Patch
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
July 1, 2011 Patch (Summer Camp Sale)
July 20, 2011 Patch
August 3, 2011 Patch
August 18, 2011 Patch
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- Added Stereoscopic Shades, Ball-Kicking Boots, Cremator's Conscience, A Whiff of the Old Brimstone, Builder's Blueprints, Couvre Corner, Surgeon's Stethoscope, Crocodile Smile, Spectre's Spectacles, Merc's Pride Scarf, Flair!, Photo Badge and Clan Pride.
- Made Bonk Boy and Foster's Facade miscellaneous items.
- Players can now equip two misc items at once.
- [Undocumented] Made Noh Mercy, Large Luchadore and Sniper's Snipin' Glass miscellaneous item.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- Added B-ankh!, Futankhamun, Steel Pipes, Shoestring Budget, Fallen Angel, Tail From the Crypt, Scottish Snarl, Pickled Paws, Soviet Stitch-Up, Steel-Toed Stompers, Frontier Flyboy, Legend of Bugfoot, Dr. Gogglestache, Emerald Jarate, Silver Bullets, Garlic Flank Stake, Griffin's Gog, Intangible Ascot, Apparition's Aspect, Last Breath, Bombinomicon, and Seal Mask
November 10, 2011 Patch
November 22, 2011 Patch
December 1, 2011 Patch
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
- Added Big Elfin Deal, Bootie Time, All-Father, Kringle Collection, Ornament Armament, Moonman Backpack, Jingle Belt, Sandvich Safe, Brainiac Goggles, Brainiac Hairpiece, Stocking Stuffer, Outback Intellectual, Dr. Grordbort's Copper Crest, and Dr. Grordbort's Silver Crest.
December 21, 2011 Patch
January 17, 2012 Patch
January 26, 2012 Patch
February 2, 2012 Patch
February 9, 2012 Patch
February 14, 2012 Patch
February 23, 2012 Patch
March 1, 2012 Patch
March 8, 2012 Patch
March 22, 2012 Patch
April 17, 2012 Patch
April 17, 2012 Patch
May 17, 2012 Patch
May 31, 2012 Patch
June 11, 2012 Patch
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- Added Dillinger's Duffel, Captain's Cocktails, HazMat Headcase, Burning Bongos, Infernal Orchestrina, Bird-Man of Aberdeen, Apparatchik's Apparel, Idea Tube, Business Casual, Balloonicorn and Pyrovision Goggles.
- [Undocumented] Pocket Medic, Cremator's Conscience, Balloonicorn, and Bird-Man of Aberdeen are now credited with assists on unassisted kills in Pyroland.
June 28, 2012 Patch
- Teddy Roosebelt can now get assist credits.
July 2, 2012 Patch
- Teddy Roosebelt can now get assists in Pyrovision.
July 10, 2012 Patch
August 2, 2012 Patch (Triad Pack)
August 11, 2012 Patch
August 15, 2012 Patch
August 17, 2012 Patch
August 21, 2012 Patch
September 4, 2012 Patch
September 6, 2012 Patch
September 21, 2012 Patch
September 27, 2012 Patch
October 9, 2012 Patch
October 17, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Vigilant Pin is now tradable, giftable, craftable, and can be used in crafting.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Voodoo-Cursed Scout Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Soldier Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Pyro Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Demoman Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Heavy Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Engineer Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Medic Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Sniper Soul, Voodoo-Cursed Spy Soul, Rump-o'-Lantern, Sir Hootsalot, Scarecrow, Bonedolier, Plutonidome, Spooky Shoes, Spooky Sleeves, Boo Balloon, Unknown Monkeynaut, Grand Duchess Tutu, Grand Duchess Fairy Wings, Dead Little Buddy, Exorcizor, Coffin Kit.
November 16, 2012 Patch
- Added Hitt Mann Badge, Siberian Sophisticate and Deadliest Duckling.
- [Undocumented] Changed Balloonicorn and the Boo Balloon from item type "Badge" to type "Wearable Balloon."
- [Undocumented] Changed Unknown Monkeynaut and the Dead Little Buddy from item type "Badge" to "Wearable Ghost."
November 29, 2012 Patch
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
- Added Winter Wonderland Wrap, Cut Throat Concierge, Der Wintermantel, Cool Breeze, Doc's Holiday, Digit Divulger, Heavy's Hockey Hair, Mutton Mann, Merc's Muffler, Flight of the Monarch, Flunkyware, Rail Spikes, Nose Candy, Aqua Flops, Hunger Force, Operation Mecha Engine Badge, Smissmas Wreath, and Reindoonicorn.
January 8, 2013 Patch
January 16, 2013 Patch
- The Prize Plushy can now get assists in Pyrovision.
January 24, 2013 Patch
- Updated the equip_region setting for The Bootie Time.
February 14, 2013 Patch
February 15, 2013 Patch
February 22, 2013 Patch
March 4, 2013 Patch
March 12, 2013 Patch
May 13, 2013 Patch
May 17, 2013 Patch (Robotic Boogaloo)
- Added Bolt Boy, Soldier's Sparkplug, Filamental, Googol Glass Eyes, Rusty Reaper, Scrap Sack, Bolted Bombardier, HDMI Patch, Scrumpy Strongbox, Titanium Towel, Teddy Robobelt, Byte'd Beak, Mecha-Medes, Practitioner's Processing Mask, Steam Pipe, Dual-Core Devil Doll, Megapixel Beard, and Electric Badge-aloo.
June 3, 2013 Patch
June 13, 2013 Patch
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Added Das Fantzipantzen, Compatriot, Birdman of Australiacatraz, Das Feelinbeterbager, Brawling Buccaneer, Delinquent's Down Vest, El Muchacho, Red Army Robin, Half-Pipe Hurdler, Dry Gulch Gulp, Colonial Clogs, Bolshevik Biker, Bigg Mann on Campus, Cobber Chameleon, Lieutenant Bites, Rogue's Brogues, Das Metalmeatencasen, Hornblower, Falconer, Gaelic Golf Bag, Graybanns, Flared Frontiersman, Shogun's Shoulder Guard, Whiskey Bib, Gaelic Garb, Macho Mann, Gabe Glasses, Borscht Belt, Blood Banker, Backpack Broiler, After Dark, Cool Cat Cardigan, Caffeine Cooler, Trash Toter, Soot Suit, Founding Father and Heavy-Weight Champ.
October 10, 2013 Patch
- Added Flapjack, Air Raider, Pop-eyes, Trickster's Turnout Gear, Hurt Locher, Cuban Bristle Crisis, Weight Room Warmer, Beep Boy, Gold Digger, Special Eyes, A Brush with Death, Medical Mystery, Ward, Chronomancer, Li'l Snaggletooth, Escapist, Frenchman's Formals and Viking Braider.
- A crafting recipe exists for smelting three Miscellaneous items into Scrap Metal in the game files. This recipe is currently disabled in-game.