Couldn't ya see the bloody bombs?
— The Demoman to what's left of his teammates
Pumpkin bombs are an environmental hazard unique to the event versions of Harvest, Mann Manor, Eyeaduct, Ghost Fort and Helltower. They spawn in set positions on each map and will explode when damaged by Hitscan, Projectiles and melee weapons, causing high damage over a moderate radius. After a short amount of time, they will respawn ready to be blown apart again. An event map can have as many as eight pumpkin bombs at the same time, and they appear at different random spawn positions.
A player can perform a Pumpkin jump by standing near a Pumpkin bomb and jumping as it explodes. This will launch the player up into the air in a similar fashion to a rocket jump. While this carries the player an impressive distance, it is a highly damaging technique and often instantly kills weaker classes.
Using this technique with certain classes (such as the Scout) is difficult due to the low amount of health that those classes have when not buffed by a Medic. If a player is not killed by the blast itself, they will most likely die from the fall damage inflicted upon landing.
|| Attack o' Lantern|
Cause the deaths of 5 players by exploding nearby pumpkin bombs.
October 29, 2009 Patch (Haunted Halloween Special)
- Added Pumpkin bomb to the game.
January 19, 2011 Patch
July 1, 2011 Patch
November 11, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a problem with precaching pumpkin_bomb entities.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Fixed a glitch wherein Sniper rifles were unable to destroy Pumpkin Bombs.
October 30, 2013 Patch
- Fixed neutral pumpkin bombs exploding with blue particles.
- Standing in a Pumpkin bomb's location when it spawns locks the player in place. Under normal play conditions, when a player is locked in such a manner, detonation of the pumpkin or dying is the only way to escape.
- A pumpkin bomb death caused by a third party (e.g. MONOCULUS or Merasmus) will appear to be a suicide.
- The Chargin' Targe and Splendid Screen will only reduce damage from pumpkins if it was the opposing team who detonated them.
- Boosted damage from mini-crits will only apply if the pumpkins are detonated by a player of the team opposite to the one of the player who is taking damage from mini-crits.
- The grenade version of the beta Demoman weapon, the Dynamite Pack, appears to be similar to the ones attached to the pumpkins.