From Team Fortress Wiki
In the Meet the Pyro video, Pyroland is a stark contrast to the dark, deserted desert town it takes place in. Instead of a run-down desert town, Pyroland appears as a cartoonishly colorful land with big flowery meadows, a bright blue sky with giant pudgy kittens floating around, giant lollipops and candy sprouting out of the ground, and a little town full of candy shops and party decorations. The song "Do You Believe In Magic" by The Lovin' Spoonful plays in the background.
Through the Pyro's insane mind, the BLU team are seen as little winged babies, or Cherubs, having their normal heads on chubby diapered bodies. They gleefully coo and giggle at Pyro's seemingly innocent antics, when in reality they are being brutally hunted and killed- for example, in Pyroland, the Pyro blows bubbles at the Scout-baby, making him laugh and swat at the bubbles, while the real Scout is actually being hit in the face with the Scorch Shot. In both Pyroland and reality, the Pyro keeps an air of carefree, happy-go-lucky cheerfulness.
In-game, by equipping the Pyrovision Goggles, Rainblower, Lollichop, Infernal Orchestrina, Burning Bongos, Balloonicorn, or Reindoonicorn, the player is allowed to see certain maps through Pyro's eyes. Rockets and flares leave trails of bubbles, and explosions are replaced by confetti. When players take damage, they laugh instead of shouting in pain, and bleed balloons. Gibs are the same as those in Birthday mode and servers with sillygibs on. Health pickups appear as cake slices, and ammo boxes appear wrapped as gift boxes.
In the kill feed, Domination messages read, "[Player] is BEST FRIENDS with [Player]", while Revenge notices read, "[Player] BROKE UP with [Player]". Additionally, certain hats and miscellaneous items will appear to assist or be assisted by a player for unassisted kills, using the item's custom name, if it has one. If the player has more than one of these items equipped, one will be picked at random for the killfeed notice. Items that provide assists include:
|Items that provide Assist kills in Pyroland|
|Pocket Medic||Deadliest Duckling|
|Cremator's Conscience||Scrap Pack||Deadliest Duckling|
|Bird-Man of Aberdeen||Deadliest Duckling|
|Teddy Roosebelt||Pocket Purrer||Deadliest Duckling||Prize Plushy|
|Koala Compact||Sir Hootsalot||Deadliest Duckling||Steel Songbird|
|Alien Swarm Parasite||Hat of Undeniable Wealth And Respect|
|Balloonicorn||RoBro 3000||Boo Balloon||Dead Little Buddy||Unknown Monkeynaut||Reindoonicorn||Tux|
Because some hats are not compatible with the Pyrovision Goggles, such as the Spiral Sallet, the Balloonicorn and the Reindoonicorn allow for classes to wear any hat and still view Pyroland. These items occupy a miscellaneous item slot, but hover behind the player, allowing for a second item to be placed on the character model and allowing for item sets to be used in Pyroland.
Certain items, like the Rainblower, Lollichop, and Balloonicorn can only be viewed while in Pyrovision; outside of Pyrovision, the Rainblower and Lollichop will be viewed as the stock Flamethrower and Fire Axe, respectively. However, all Pyrovision items are visible in deathcams, whether or not the player is in Pyroland.
Maps with differing textures while in Pyroland:
- Badlands (Arena)
- Badlands (Control Point)
- Badlands (King of the Hill)
- Badwater Basin
- Gravel Pit
- Gold Rush
- Mann Manor
- Multiple birthday mode and holiday mode features are active:
- Lights will be turned on/glow brighter (e.g. outside lights on the left side of the RED spawn in Sawmill).
- Signs in objective-based games say "MMM MMMPH", except those in Doomsday.
- Resupply lockers are purple with yellow handles and have pictures of a cuddly dog on the left side (for bullets) and a cuddly cat on the right side (for health).
- The Soldier's, Pyro's, and Demoman's grenades (and items that replace them) appear as baby bottles.
- Enemies' and allies' voices become high-pitched (does not apply to the player's own voice).
- Enemies and allies on fire will be surrounded by sparkles, but not the player in third person.
- Certain smoke effects will become bubbles, such as the rockets from the Soldier's Rocket Launcher and the flares from the Pyro's Flare Gun.
- All custom maps with the supported textures get the effect if you extract the "mtp.cfg" file from the gcf into the cfg folder in your tf folder and add a new map to it in the same format.
- Instead of death or injury sounds, players will laugh when hurt or killed.
- Items such as the Rainblower or Lollichop and other Pyro-based Pyromania items are visible to the player.
- Charging Demomen's yells are not higher pitched.
- The Pyroland textures will not appear when using DX8.
Pyromania Day 3 update page
A picture of the Resupply Cabinet Cabinet when closed
A picture of the flowers seen in Pyroland on Dustbowl
A picture of the Intel/Battlements sign seen in Turbine.
A picture of the "Resupply" sign seen in 2Fort.
- "Dreams of Chronic and Sustained Cruelty", TF2 Official Website, July 31, 2012
- "Pyro vision", Valve Developer Community wiki