From Team Fortress Wiki
The Scottish Handshake is a community-made melee weapon for the Demoman. It is a dark brown glass rum bottle, apparently made by the Demoman's DeGroot family ancestors in 1680.
This weapon functions in exactly the same way as the Bottle, although it does not shatter after a successful critical hit.
The Scottish Handshake's original name was "Scotland Shard".
It was later contributed to the Steam Workshop after it was released, on Valve's request.
The backpack icon was contributed by Smashman...
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
As a crafting ingredient
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
- The Scottish Handshake was added to the game.
September 4, 2012 Patch
- Backpack sounds updated for the Scottish Handshake.
October 26, 2012 Patch (Spectral Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Removed unused shattered-bottle materials from the game files.
- The Scottish Handshake had a broken model in the GCF, much like the Bottle, that was removed in the October 26, 2012 Patch.
- The term "Scottish Handshake" refers to the stereotype that a person of Scottish heritage greets people with physical assault, due to their stereotypical violent nature.
- The year the rum was supposedly made, 1680, was chosen because it was the year the notorious pirate Blackbeard was born.
- The set was originally showcased in the Medieval Update, together with the rest of Swashbuckler's Swag set.