Claw your way through piles of musty books and skeletons while old people yell at each other about nonsense and get carried off to Hell! That's right, Team Feartress fans— we combined the terror of Halloween with the more muted and depressing terror of a retirement home, and accidentally invented an entirely new brand of horror! Then we realized listening to two old men bicker from beyond the grave isn't that horrifying, so we threw in a bunch of crazy spells you can cast at each other!
— Update page
The Scream Fortress Fifth Annual Helloween Special was a major update released in the October 29, 2013 Patch. The fifth in the Scream Fortress series of updates, it added the Halloween event map Helltower, 102 Halloween-themed Cosmetics, and introduced the mechanic of Magic spells.
Item submissions for the event were opened on September 18, 2013 via the Team Fortress 2 Official Blog.
The event was previewed on October 28, 2013 via the Grave Matters comic.
The event lasted from October 29, 2013 to November 11, 2013.
|| Helltower: Competitive Spirit|
Win 142 rounds
|| Helltower: Hell's Spells|
Get and use a rare spell
|| Helltower: Spelling Spree|
Use spells to kill 25 players
|| Hat Out of Hell|
Get the loot from Skull Island in Hell
- Several encoded messages appear on the update's pages, and they use Agathodaimon symbols.
- Two are found on ribbons that stretch across the page. The first says "Bazbo Bibbons", and the second "Abo alabazbus"
- Several sentences can be read within an illustration of a spell book
- FEAR NOT THOSE WHO SEEK TO DESTROY YOU. FOR WITH THIS BOOK YOU ARE GRANTED THE STRENGTH OF A GIANT.
- OR PERHAPS WHAT YOU SEEK IS A RAIN OF BURNING COMETS TO SMITE YOUR FOE.
- A RAIN OF COMMETS(sic) ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU
- FINE. YOU SHALL BE GIVEN THE SPEED OF CHEETAH.
- AND STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU
- FINE. WELL LEAVE THIS TO CHANCE. TRY NOT TO BURN YOUR OWN FACE OFF.