From Team Fortress Wiki
Art lovers will cherish the bust of Hippocrates, commemorating a time when the Medic still thought doing no harm was a good idea.
— Solemn Vow publicity blurb
The Solemn Vow is a melee weapon for the Medic. It is a marble bust of Hippocrates, inset with a plaque reading "Do no harm" – the guiding principle of the Hippocratic Oath.
Having this weapon in the loadout allows the player to view enemy health and names (in the same manner as the Spy), providing strategic information that could aid the team, although it cannot see through an enemy Spy's Disguise.
The item was previously tested in the Team Fortress 2 Beta as the Beta Bonesaw.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.
|| Peer Review|
Kill 10 Medics with your bone saw.
Hit enemies with your bonesaw 5 times in a row without dying or missing.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- The Solemn Vow was added to the game.
June 28, 2011 Patch
- Added/Refined recoil/draw/crit/reload forces for the Solemn Vow.
August 9, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Updated the kill icon of this weapon to remove a small square from the bottom right corner.
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
September 4, 2012 Patch
- The Solemn Vow now sounds like a Wrench.
September 6, 2012 Patch
- Fixed the Solemn Vow not sounding like a Wrench.
- The Solemn Vow appears to have a glossy texture while playing in DirectX 8 mode due to DirectX 8 not rendering normal maps.
- When looking at an enemy Soldier with the Equalizer or Escape Plan out, the "Equalizer blocks healing" note will appear.