From Team Fortress Wiki
The Spinal Tap is the Medic's kill taunt. Upon taunting with the Übersaw active, the Medic throws his coattails back and enters a combat pose before thrusting his Übersaw forward and retracting it, killing any enemy player slow, unaware, or simply unfortunate enough to be in the way.
The initial thrust will stun the victim and deal 1 damage, while the retraction deals 500 damage. As the two are separate actions, it is possible to succeed with one but fail with the other depending on whether the enemy is within range or if the Medic is interrupted. Upon a successful kill, the Medic is granted 100% ÜberCharge, (25% from the initial thrust, 75% from the exit) the equivalent of four normal hits with the Übersaw. However, if the target is a disguised Spy or under the effect of an ÜberCharge, the thrust will stun but provide no Über, and the retraction will grant 50% Über.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Point blank||+ 500|
|Taunt duration||4 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- The original Übersaw taunt (similar to the Bonesaw albeit with a harsher, more cello-like sound) is replaced with this taunt.
- [Undocumented] A successful Spinal Tap kill now fills the Medic's ÜberCharge 100%, unless the target is under the effect of an ÜberCharge where it will still fill by 50%.
- [Undocumented] Added a voice response for the Spinal Tap.
- A unique kill icon is located in the game files but not used. Instead a normal Übersaw kill icon is displayed.
- The Spinal Tap taunt may occasionally stab the player behind the Medic instead of the player in front.
- Spinal Tap is a colloquial term for a lumbar puncture, a medical procedure in which a needle is inserted between the vertebrae at the base of the spine to extract a sample of spinal fluid. Though not at all fatal when performed by a professional, it does have the potential to be extremely painful.