Strange Parts are exclusive tools that are only obtainable via crates, with the exception of the Full Moon Kills, Halloween Kills, and Robots Destroyed During Halloween parts which can be found as a random drop. Strange Parts can only be used on Strange weapons. They allow players to track additional statistics such as number of headshot kills or buildings destroyed.
Up to three Strange Parts can be applied onto one Strange weapon. Certain Strange Parts cannot be used on certain weapons; for example, the Headshot tool cannot be used on a Strange Wrench. When applied, it will not count any previous stats. Strange Parts can be individually removed from a weapon using the Restore button in the backpack, allowing the player to remove a strange part of their choosing; however, a part which has been removed will not be returned to the player, and instead will be permanently lost.
Certain parts are only compatible with certain weapons. A table of the restrictions is given below.
These restrictions are based on specific attributes listed in the
items_game.txt file, which do not necessarily reflect weapon functionality. The tables below and elsewhere in the wiki are based on these attributes.
There are some mismatches between weapon capabilities and strange part compatibility which are not bugs, strictly speaking. E.g. the Medi Gun can be used to extinguish team-mates, but it isn't possible to apply the Allies Extinguished strange part to a strange Medi Gun. In this case, it's probably because the Medi Gun takes a few seconds to extinguish burning teammates, but all the weapons that are compatible with the Allies Extinguished strange part work instantly; only the latter mechanism is tracked by the strange part.
|List of Strange Parts|
|Tag Required||Strange Part|
|Can Deal Damage|| 41
|Can Deal Gib Damage|| 41|
| Can Deal Damage
|Can Headshot|| 42|
|Can Reflect Projectiles||42|
| Can Deal
| Can Deal
| Can be Equipped
by Soldier or Demoman
|Can Destroy Sappers||47|
| Can Deal
|Can Deal Taunt Damage||60|
|Can Heal Allies||77|
- The Strange Part: Buildings Destroyed can be applied to the Chargin' Targe, but cannot raise the counter, even by killing an Engineer hauling an active building.
- The Strange Part: Posthumous Kills cannot be applied to the Huo-Long Heater, even though the ring of flames can deal posthumous damage.
- The Wrap Assassin only increments the Strange Part: Posthumous Kills counter on kills with the bauble itself and does not count kills from the bleeding that results afterward.
- The Strange Part: Critical Kills cannot be applied to Ullapool Caber, even though it can be crit boosted a number of different ways.
- The Strange Part: Underwater Kills can be applied to any form of strange flamethrower, despite the fact that enemies are immediately extinguished when they enter water, along with that flamethrowers cannot be used in a body of water.
- Any parts applied to Engineer wrenches will only count actions with the Wrench and not with any built Sentry Guns.
- Servers using an altered
tf_playergibsetting will not change the way the Gib Kills counter is counted, only kills that would normally gib will still be counted.
- All the strange Flamethrowers do not count gib kills with deflected rocket/grenade, headshots with deflected arrows and kills while explosive jumping on deflected enemy explosives, nor do they track healing done with reflected Crusader's Crossbow bolts. As a result, respective Strange Parts can not be applied.
- Destroying Sappers with any Strange Engineer wrenches will not increase a buildings destroyed counter, however destroying Sappers with a Strange Homewrecker or a Strange Neon Annihilator will increase a buildings destroyed counter.
- Other than Strange Part: Robots Destroyed, Strange Part: Spies Robots Destroyed, Strange Part: Robots Destroyed During Halloween, Strange Part: Tanks Destroyed and Strange Part: Giant Robots Destroyed, no other strange parts will gain points for killing Mann vs. Machine Robots. However, some parts, such as Strange Part: Allied Healing Done, will continue to track statistics normally in the MvM game mode.