This weapon functions identically to the Wrench, but with an added cosmetic function: any enemies killed by it will turn into motionless golden statues of pure Australium instead of ragdolls. This gold effect applies to jiggle bones which freeze in place.
This weapon was a promotional feature of the Engineer Update. Players were informed that every time a craft was made, there was a chance of a Golden Wrench being awarded. Only 100 Golden Wrenches were available at the time, and the ability to smelt reclaimed metal back into scrap metal and refined metal back into reclaimed metal was suspended during this time to prevent continual crafting. After each 25 Golden Wrench milestone, a new section of the Engineer Update would be released.
Switching from this weapon to the Gunslinger will destroy the sentry the player has built.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Damage repaired per hit||105|
|Metal cost per repairing hit||1 + damage / 3|
|Metal cost for reloading ammo||1 / bullet
2 / rocket salvo
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- If a Spy's Dead Ringer is triggered by the Golden Wrench, the Spy will see his own death message in the kill feed even though he would normally not be able to see it.
- The Golden Wrench does not glow when crit boosted in world view.
- Due to how the materials for the Golden Wrench are implemented, a regular Wrench is dropped upon death, just as a regular one is displayed in the loadout screen and the 3D character in the HUD.
- The Golden Wrench was originally indicated in the material file with an encrypted message that could be translated.
- Any time someone received a Golden Wrench, a message would be broadcast to all players connected to every server at that moment followed by the Announcer saying "Success". Likewise, a message is displayed to all players if a Golden Wrench owner deletes their Wrench followed by the Announcer saying "Failure". This is still in effect even after the Engineer Update.
- The Golden Wrench is a reference to King Midas, who gained the ability to transform whatever he touched into solid gold. This is further shown with the Engineer referencing to the "Midas Touch" when a kill is made with the Golden Wrench.
- 14 Golden Wrenches were destroyed as part of the Golden Charity event in support of Child's Play on August 31, 2010.
- Erik Johnson said in a PC Gamer interview: "That would have been awesome, if the whole TF2 community had the chance to find the broken pieces of the Golden Wrench and restore them. That whole event is going to carry forward in some way."
- Player Vulcnor, upon winning a charity auction for Child's Play, received Golden Wrench No. 101 along with one of every other game item.