This weapon is identical to the default Wrench in terms of damage, critical hit chance, and animations. Its distinguishing feature, however, is that enemies killed by it will turn into motionless golden statues of pure Australium instead of ragdolls, similiar to the Saxxy and the Golden Frying Pan. This gold effect applies to jiggle bones which freeze in place.
This weapon was a promotional feature of the Engineer Update. Players were informed that every time a craft was made, there was a chance of a Golden Wrench being awarded. Only 100 Golden Wrenches were available at the time, and the ability to smelt reclaimed metal back into scrap metal and refined metal back into reclaimed metal was suspended during this time to prevent continual crafting. After each 25 Golden Wrench milestone, a new section of the Engineer Update would be released.
Switching from this weapon to a different melee weapon will destroy all existing buildings.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Damage repaired per hit||105|
|Metal cost per repairing hit||1 + damage / 5|
|Metal cost for reloading ammo||1 / bullet
2 / rocket salvo
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
- If a Spy's Dead Ringer is triggered by the Golden Wrench, the Spy will see his own death message in the kill feed even though he would normally not be able to see it.
- The Golden Wrench does not glow when crit boosted in world view.
- The Golden Wrench was originally indicated in the material file with an encrypted message that could be translated.
- Any time someone received a Golden Wrench, a message would be broadcast to all players connected to every server at that moment followed by the Announcer saying "Success". Likewise, a message is displayed to all players if a Golden Wrench owner deletes their Wrench followed by the Announcer saying "Failure". This is still in effect even after the Engineer Update.
- The Golden Wrench is a reference to King Midas, who gained the ability to transform whatever he touched into solid gold. This is further shown with the Engineer referencing to the "Midas Touch" when a kill is made with the Golden Wrench.
- On August 31 2010, 14 Golden Wrenches were destroyed as part of the Golden Charity event in support of Child's Play.
- Erik Johnson said in a PC Gamer interview: "That would have been awesome, if the whole TF2 community had the chance to find the broken pieces of the Golden Wrench and restore them. That whole event is going to carry forward in some way."
- Player Vulcnor, upon winning a charity auction for Child's Play, received Golden Wrench No. 101 along with one of every other game item.