The Team Fortress 2 trading cards are produced by Valve and are sold through the Valve Store. They were designed by the TF2 art team and originally intended to be distributed at cyber cafès as part of a promotion, but the promotion never began. There are nine class cards (one for each class), six map cards, three weapon cards, and one Team Fortress 2 card. Each of the class cards provides a biography about that class. Some card images were released by Valve directly on the TF2 Official Website, while other images were not officially released and were instead scanned manually by the community.
The class cards were also included as merchandise with the RED and BLU fan kits that were available directly through the Valve Store. Along with other assorted items, the fan kits came with two packs of TF2 trading cards, each containing five random cards. Trading cards are now available separately (1 pack for US $1) from the Valve Store.
A set of digital trading cards were released on May 15th when the Steam Trading Cards Group went into beta. Once in the beta owners of TF2 would receive up to five random cards shown below, with the rest having to be traded. Upon collecting all nine, they can craft them to get a badge, a random emoticon, a Steam coupon, and a class based background.
Scout trading card (Front)
Soldier trading card (Front)
Pyro trading card (Front)
Demoman trading card (Front)
Heavy trading card (Front)
Engineer trading card (Front)
Medic trading card (Front)
Sniper trading card (Front)
Spy trading card (Front)
cp_Granary trading card (Front)
cp_Well trading card (Front)
cp_Dustbowl trading card (Front)
cp_Gravel Pit trading card (Front)
tc_Hydro trading card( Front)
ctf_2Fort trading card (Front)
Sentry Gun trading card (Front)
Flamethrower trading card
Minigun trading card (Front)
Team Fortress 2 Сard
Steam Trading Cards
- Despite the fact that these cards list a prospective biography for each class, some of the biographies have since been altered by Valve in order to more effectively complement the new content that they have released during updates, as well as other forms of published material. The most notable example of this would be the Demoman's biography, which originally said that his parents both died when he was six and that he lived in an orphanage after their deaths. In the amended version released after the WAR! Update, his real parents took him in and taught him to be a proper Demoman, hence the existence of Mrs. DeGroot, his mother. Other such liberties were taken with the Spy's biography, released with the Meet the Spy video, which is far different from the original trading card version. This is mostly because the trading cards were created much earlier in TF2's life, prior to any of the class updates.
- The packs are not random, and are composed of a limited number of possible card combinations.
- TF2 Official Website blog post - "TF2 Trading Cards - Part 1"
- TF2 Official Website blog post - "TF2 Trading Cards - Part 2"
- TF2 Official Website blog post - "TF2 Trading Cards - Part 3"
- Steam "Steam Trading Card Beta"