|"Now that there was a fine piece 'a work."
Unusual is a featured article candidate.
This page has been identified as possibly meeting the featured article criteria.
Unusual quality is an item quality used on hats and some miscellaneous items with a special attached particle effect. There are currently 259 items that can have one of 48 total effects. The only methods of obtaining an Unusual item are by potentially unlocking a Mann Co. Supply Crate with a Mann Co. Supply Crate Key or via trading. The chances of uncrating an Unusual item are about one in one hundred and fifty, or 0.66%. Unlike regular items which can only be obtained from specific crates, any Unusual item with any particle effect can be randomly obtained from any given crate of any Series.
Due to their unique particle effect decorations and their extremely low probability of being obtained from crates, Unusual items are considered to be some of the rarest items in TF2.The hexadecimal color code for Unusual items is .
Other Unusual items
Two special items of Unusual quality were introduced with the Scream Fortress Update: the Haunted Metal Scrap, and the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker. However, unlike regular Unusual items, the Unusual Metal Scrap is dropped for any player who has taken part in defeating the Horseless Headless Horsemann with a melee weapon, while the Headtaker can be obtained by crafting it from a blueprint that includes the Unusual Metal Scrap. Besides bearing the Unusual quality, the Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker is statistically identical to the Eyelander. In addition, neither of these items has an attached particle effect. Due to these characteristics, these two Unusual items are not considered as valuable as regular Unusual items.
The first 14 effects were added to the game with the Mann-Conomy Update, 8 more unusual effects were added with the August 18, 2011 Patch, and 7 additional effects were added with the June 19, 2013 Patch. These Unusual effects can be obtained from any Crate, except the Robocrate.
There are 4 more Halloween-only effects were added with the Very Scary Halloween Special, 5 with the Spectral Halloween Special, and 8 with Scream Fortress 2013. Those can only be obtained during Halloween events.
List of Unusual items
- [Undocumented] Added Unusual quality.
- [Undocumented] Added Stormy Storm, Blizzardy Storm, Nuts n' Bolts, Orbiting Planets, Orbiting Fire, Bubbling, Smoking, and Steaming unusual effects.
- Fixed sunbeams effect.
- [Undocumented] Added Cloudy Moon, Eerie Orbiting Fire, Flaming Lantern, and Cauldron Bubbles unusual effects.
- [Undocumented] Added Knifestorm, Misty Skull, Harvest Moon, It's A Secret To Everybody and Stormy 13th Hour unusual effects.
- [Undocumented] Added Anti-Freeze, Electrostatic, Green Black Hole, Memory Leak, Overclocked, Phosphorous, Power Surge, Roboactive, Suplurous, and Time Warp unusual effects.
- Attachment point and offset for particle effects on unusual hats can now be adjusted from the character loadout screen.
- Fixed a bug that would cause unusual effects to float in the air over dead players.
- Fixed a bug that would cause unusual effects to show incorrectly sometimes when spectating other players.
- [Undocumented] Added Aces High, Cloud 9, Dead Presidents, Disco Beat Down, Kill-a-Watt, Miami Nights, and Terror-Watt unusual effects.
- [Undocumented] Added Arcana, Chiroptera Venenata, Darkblaze, Demonflame, Hellfire, Poisoned Shadows, Something Burning This Way Comes, and Spellbound unusual effects.
- Unusual effect positioning can now be adjusted for all Cosmetic-slot items.
- Unusual Circling Effects have been given a new origin.
- Unusual effects for all Cosmetic-slot items are now visible in the loadout panel and character HUD.
These effects were added to the game, but unused.
- The effect named "It's A Secret To Everybody" is a reference to a popular phrase in the video game series The Legend of Zelda.
- The effect named "Something Burning This Way Comes" references the fantasy horror novel by the name Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury; the title is itself a reference to the Shakespeare piece Macbeth.
- The effect named "Dead Presidents" references a slang term used to describe U.S. currency. This is due to the fact that dollar bills usually depict deceased U.S. Presidents.