| Basic information
| Map type
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Daylight, sunny
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×5 • ×7 • ×1
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×1 • ×15 • ×1
| Map Photos
| Map Overview
Upward is a Payload map included with the Engineer Update as an official Valve developed map. It is the first official Payload map to be developed and released since the Heavy Update.
Upward is single-stage map, similar in design and layout to Badwater Basin, with multiple control points in one round, unlike Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain, featuring three short stages with 2-3 control points.
- Payload Track: The Payload track loops around the entire map, starting at the BLU base and ending at the RED base, close to but inaccessible from the start of the map.
- Path to the Mine: The start of the cart's journey begins with a small incline up a hill and wooden paths built to carry the bomb to the first control point. This area focuses on open combat focused down from the hills and balcony's on RED's defensive line.
- Mine: After the first control point, the cart track drops into a shallow mine below the balconies defending A. RED must focus their attention on the mine and ground level, otherwise BLU players will be able to flank RED by either route. This area offers perfect flanking opportunities for Spies as the area has the mine entrances, the ground level route and a thin side route.
- Wooden Bridge: After the second control point, there is a thin wooden bridge which hangs over a small sewer door leading into the RED base. It offers a good flanking route for BLU before B is captured as well as offering areas for Scouts and Spies to recover and hide. Like the pathway along the cliffside this wooden bridge is mostly void of battle.
- Spiral Bridge: After the Payload moves across the Wooden Bridge and up a small incline, it arrives at a spiral wooden bridge leading up to the final level of the map. It features automatic cart rollbacks which make the cart roll backwards if it is not being pushed by BLU team. After the struggle up the ramps, BLU are able to capture Point C and move on to the final sections of the map.
- Roadway: At the top of the spiral bridge is a small, open track that the cart must be pushed along. The area is surrounded by a few flank routes. This area is usually rather easy for BLU to push the cart along as RED will normally not put up much resistance; this is because this zone gives RED time to build up their defences on the final point. RED teams Scouts and Soldiers however will usually appear to try and slow the carts progress along the track by getting a few kills, slowing the BLU teams cap speed.
- Final Control Point: Around the corner from the third control point lies the heart of RED base. A group of large buildings surrounding a wide hole in the ground. Once the cart arrives in the area it must be pushed up a small wooden incline before it can be dropped into the Final Control Point pit. Once the cart drops into the hole, BLU team wins the round and the cart's bomb will explode as soon as it hits the ground, destroying the center of the mountain base. This area features balconies and underground areas which RED can use to their defensive advantage. It also features windows and balconies connecting to buildings captured by BLU when the third control point is taken, these can be used to BLU's offensive advantage.
July 8, 2010 Patch
- Added Upward to the game.
August 17, 2010 Patch
- Fixed respawnroom entities not reaching the floor of split-level spawns.
- Fixed griefable fence facing BLU spawn near RED base.
- Added BLU high flanking route at RED base.
- Added health & ammo along BLU flanking route at RED base.
- Sealed BLU base left exit with block bullets brushes.
- Extended clip between C and BLU spawn to prevent sticky jump spawn camping.
- Fixed non-clipped non-solid railing in RED base.
- Fixed kill brush in middle spawn not extending to the ceiling.
- Put a block bullets brush on grate below middle spawn.
- Fixed some high micro-ledges accessible to sticky-jumpers.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed ending the game mid-round when mp_timelimit has been reached.
- Fixed several exploit areas.
November 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a teleporter griefing position near control point B.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Fixed exploit where Blu team could be trapped in their final spawn room.
- Fixed gap in collision which allowed Blu players to be shot in their first spawn.
- Fixed fade distances on props in Blu spawn.
- Fixed players building under catwalk on the ledge of the final pit.
- Fixed clip brush exploits.
- Players can no longer be trapped by teleporting under stairs near final capture point.
- Players can no longer build inside of Red's final spawn room.
- Players can no longer build inside of spawn room doors.
- Players can no longer be trapped inside of the capture point sign.
- Prevented Blu team from entering final spawn room while it is neutral.
- Smoothed clipping collision.
- Collision performance increases.
- Handrails no longer collide with bullets and projectiles.
- Replaced floor texture in Red team final spawn room.
December 6, 2013 Patch
- Fixed players getting stuck in the initial Red spawn room after control point 2 is capped.
- Improved bot navigation.
January 23, 2014 Patch
- Fixed being able to construct buildings in the skybox.
June 18, 2014 Patch
November 20, 2014 Patch
- Added stairs to forward Blue spawn underground.
- Updated the trigger hurt in the outer cliff area to cover the bottom of the map.
November 25, 2015 Patch
- Fixed a teleporter-trap exploit inside the tunnel after the first control point.
July 7, 2016 Patch #1 (Meet Your Match Update)
- Fixed an exploit where players could sometimes build Sentry Guns in the cliffside by capture point 3.
- It's possible to get stuck in a support beam in front of BLU's first forward spawn by jumping while underneath it.
- Due to an invisible texture, it is possible for BLU to see out of spawn during the setup phase yet BLU team can not shoot at RED due to an invisible wall in place.
- It's possible to shoot out of BLU spawn in a small crack in the wall, however, it is extremely difficult to hit any enemies due to it being extremely small.
- On the path right outside the building housing the last point, it is possible to shoot over the wall into BLU's first spawn, as well as onto the path between the cart's initial position and the first point.
The original screenshot of Upward given by Robin Walker
- Upward was officially revealed on Day 2 of The Engineer Update, but was previously shown in a screenshot given by Robin Walker a short while before.