| Basic Information
| Map Type:
| File name:
| Map Info
|| Daylight, sunny
| Map Items
| Health Kits:
|| ×5 • ×7 • ×1
| Ammo Boxes:
|| ×1 • ×15 • ×1
Upward is a Payload map included with the Engineer Update as an official Valve developed map. It is the first official Payload map to be developed and released since the Heavy Update.
Upward uses a similar design and layout to Badwater Basin, with multiple control points in the same round, unlike Gold Rush and Thunder Mountain, which focus on fast-paced, short rounds with only 2-3 control points per individual round.
- BLU Team: The BLU team's primary goal is to guide the blue-colored cart on its tracks throughout the map. By continuously pushing the cart forward and breaking through RED defensive positions, the bomb will detonate and the BLU team will be victorious. Failure to push the cart forward by having teammates near it will eventually result in the cart slowly moving backwards after a period of time, eroding your team's past progress.
- RED Team: Opposite the BLU team's objective, the team function of RED, as a group, is to deter and stall the BLU team and prevent them from advancing the bomb to its final destination. By fighting off their opposition for a long enough period of time, the RED team will be victorious. The most effective way to stall the BLU team is to remain very close to the bomb cart, thereby halting it from moving even with BLU forces nearby.
Overview of the map.(Large file)
Upward is played in similar fashion to Badwater Basin. It is a single huge stage with one track running through its entirety. Multiple checkpoints along the way add to the timer.
- Path to the Mine - The start of the cart's journey begins with a small incline up a hill and wooden paths built to carry the bomb to the first control point. This area focuses on open combat focused down from the hills and balcony's on RED's defensive line.
- The Mine - After the first control point, the cart track drops into a shallow mine below the balconies defending A. RED must focus their attention on the mine and ground level, otherwise BLU players will be able to flank RED by either route. This area offers perfect flanking opportunities for Spies as the area has the mine entrances, the ground level route and a thin side route.
- The Wooden Bridge - After the second control point, there is a thin wooden bridge which hangs over a small sewer door leading into the RED base. It offers a good flanking route for BLU before B is captured as well as offering areas for Scouts and Spies to recover and hide. Like the pathway along the cliffside this wooden bridge is mostly void of battle.
- The Spiral Bridge - After the Payload moves across the Wooden Bridge and up a small incline, it arrives at a spiral wooden bridge leading up to the final level of the map. It features automatic cart rollbacks which make the cart roll backwards if it is not being pushed by BLU team. After the struggle up the ramps, BLU are able to capture Point C and move on to the final section of the map.
- The Final Control Point Area - Around the corner from the third control point lies the heart of RED base. A group of large buildings surrounding a wide hole in the ground. Once the cart arrives in the area it must be pushed up a small wooden incline before it can be dropped into the Final Control Point pit. Once the cart drops into the hole, BLU team wins the round and the cart's bomb will explode as soon as it hits the ground, destroying the center of the mountain base. This area features balconies and underground areas which RED can use to their defensive advantage. It also features windows and balconies connecting to buildings captured by BLU when the third control point is taken, these can be used to BLU's offensive advantage.
July 8, 2010 Patch
- Added Upward to the game.
August 17, 2010 Patch
- Fixed respawnroom entities not reaching the floor of split-level spawns.
- Fixed griefable fence facing BLU spawn near RED base.
- Added BLU high flanking route at RED base.
- Added health & ammo along BLU flanking route at RED base.
- Sealed BLU base left exit with block bullets brushes.
- Extended clip between C and BLU spawn to prevent sticky jump spawn camping.
- Fixed non-clipped non-solid railing in RED base.
- Fixed kill brush in middle spawn not extending to the ceiling.
- Put a block bullets brush on grate below middle spawn.
- Fixed some high micro-ledges accessible to sticky-jumpers.
September 15, 2011 Patch
- Fixed ending the game mid-round when mp_timelimit has been reached.
- Fixed several exploit areas.
November 16, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a teleporter griefing position near control point B.
July 10, 2013 Patch
- Fixed exploit where Blu team could be trapped in their final spawn room.
- Fixed gap in collision which allowed Blu players to be shot in their first spawn.
- Fixed fade distances on props in Blu spawn.
- Fixed players building under catwalk on the ledge of the final pit.
- Fixed clip brush exploits.
- Players can no longer be trapped by teleporting under stairs near final capture point.
- Players can no longer build inside of Red's final spawn room.
- Players can no longer build inside of spawn room doors.
- Players can no longer be trapped inside of the capture point sign.
- Prevented Blu team from entering final spawn room while it is neutral.
- Smoothed clipping collision.
- Collision performance increases.
- Handrails no longer collide with bullets and projectiles.
- Replaced floor texture in Red team final spawn room.
December 6, 2013 Patch
- Fixed players getting stuck in the initial Red spawn room after control point 2 is capped.
- Improved bot navigation.
'January 23, 2014 Patch
- Fixed being able to construct buildings in the skybox.
The original screenshot of Upward given by Robin Walker
- Upward was officially revealed on Day 2 of The Engineer Update, but was previously shown in a screenshot given by Robin Walker a short while before.
- The cargo ship docked at the foot of the mountain is also in Granary, although it seems to be missing a roof on the superstructure.
- Previous to the July 10, 2013 Update Patch, there was a small gap between two slates of metal that bullets, rockets, stickies, and other bullets or projectiles could pass through. It was located on the BLU's left side of spawn, located on the right hill if viewed from RED's perspective. A demonstration of this exploit can be found here.