It fires grenade projectiles that travel at approximately 1065 Hammer units per second, and detonate either on direct contact with enemies or after a set interval after spawn. The grenades bounce with a degree of unpredictability because they have a spin. The ability of the grenades to bounce can be used to indirectly attack enemies around corners. Unlike most projectiles, the grenades are not affected by damage falloff. They arc significantly downward after being fired and launch slightly to the right of the cross-hair. Grenades can also be used for a makeshift explosive jump.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Base damage||100%|| : 84-123
|Critical|| : 270-330 |
|Mini-crit|| : 114-165 |
|Minimum splash||50%|| 3 ft
|Damage reduction||1% /|
|Self-damage|| : 42-74 |
|Attack interval||0.6 s|
|Reload (first)||1.24 s|
|Reload (consecutive)||0.6 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
Note: Explosive damage varies depending on how it hits a player. The larger the classes' hit box and the closer to the explosion, the more damage delivered. The further away from the explosion, the less damage. Explosions do the most damage when they happen at the mid point of a player model. The explosion will cover more of the hit box, thus doing the most possible damage. Distance between the target and user does not affect the Grenade Launcher's damage.
- There are multiple issues with the first-person view of the weapon:
- It fires grenades out of four chambers instead of six, due to the reduction in available ammo.
- Grenades no longer appear loaded into the chambers.
- The Demoman reloads continually into one chamber.
- While reloading (with lower-quality models), you can see through the inside of the chambers.
- Damage inflicted on direct hits has spread even when damage spread is disabled on the server.
- When the Demoman drops the Grenade Launcher on death, an unactivated grenade can be seen above the stock.
- The Grenade Launcher is based on the real life M79 Grenade Launcher, though modified to fire multiple grenades without having to reload between each shot, similar to a M32 Multiple Grenade Launcher.
- During development, the likeness of the Grenade Launcher was used for a reincarnation of the Pipebomb Launcher, as seen in Trailer 2.