PASS Time combines TF2's usual fast-paced bloodsport with the actual fast-paced sports of soccer, hockey and basketball.
— Publicity blurb
PASS Time is a game mode developed by Bad Robot, Escalation Studios, and Valve. First announced on August 18th, 2015 with the beta release of Warehouse, which later became Brickyard, PASS Time was made an official game mode with the "Meet Your Match Update" on July 7th, 2016.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Strategy
- 3 Maps
- 4 Related achievements
- 5 Update history
- 6 Bugs
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
All of the current PASS Time maps are symmetrical. A neutral ball, called the JACK, spawns near the center of the map. Players must take the ball and successfully score it in one of the opposing team's goals. By default, the scoring limit is five; the team that first reaches this limit wins. Otherwise, the team with the most points wins when time runs out.
At the beginning of the round, after successful goals, or after the previous JACK lays dormant on the ground for a while, a fresh JACK is dropped by the JACK Dispenser at the center of the map, at which point a whistle is blown. The JACK is visible through walls. The JACK may be picked up from the ground, thrown using primary fire, and stolen by hitting the JACK carrier with melee.
Players carrying the JACK, called the "JACK carriers", are unable to use any weapons. The JACK can be thrown or passed to teammates in view via the primary fire button. However, it can be stolen if an enemy strikes the player with their melee weapon. It is also possible to steal the JACK from your own teammate in this way if the player holds it for too long, which is useful in a pub setting to counteract griefers who refuse to give up the JACK. The JACK becomes neutral when it touches the floor after being thrown and resets after some time.
The JACK carrier has the ability to see both teammates and enemies through walls. When stolen (through melee hit) or intercepted from an enemy player, the JACK gives its new carrier a brief speed boost and even briefer invulnerability. After the invulnerability wears off, the JACK carrier will be marked for death whenever no teammates are nearby. When there are teammates nearby, the JACK carrier is not marked for death. The JACK carrier and all nearby teammates are able to move at the speed of the fastest teammate currently in the pack. In addition to this, all teammates near the JACK carrier experience passive health regeneration.
Throwing the JACK
To throw the JACK, the JACK carrier must press and release the primary fire button. Upon pressing and holding primary fire, the JACK carrier will enter an animation in which they hold the JACK back, in preparation for a throw. If the JACK carrier presses the alt-fire button instead of releasing their primary fire button, then the JACK will not be thrown; instead, the JACK carrier will "fake" a pass, performing the throw animation without giving up the JACK.
If a visible teammate is in the JACK carrier's crosshairs when throwing the JACK, then the throw will be classified as a "pass". In a pass from one teammate to another, the JACK will rush towards the targeted teammate as if pulled towards them by a magnet, following the teammate around even as they move from their original position. A pass may not be successful, however; despite swerving to avoid most obstacles, the JACK may still hit an obstacle, making it neutral, and an enemy teammate may intercept the JACK mid-pass as well.
If there is no visible teammate in the JACK carrier's crosshairs when throwing the JACK, then the JACK will be thrown only a short distance, which can depend on the user's class. The three "offense" classes — Scout, Soldier, and Pyro — all have weaker throws than the rest of the classes. The Scout's throw is the weakest, the Soldier's throw is only slightly weaker than that of the other classes, and the Pyro's throw is halfway between the Scout's and the Soldier's. All other classes throw the JACK approximately the same distance.
Each team has three separate goals on each PASS Time map: the Throw-In Goal, the Run-In Goal, and the Bonus Goal. A team's goals, located on that team's side of the map, may only be scored upon by an enemy player; in other words, a RED player may not score upon any RED goal.
The Run-In Goal is a wide zone located at the extreme end of either side of the map. As the name of the goal suggests, players are required to run into the goal zone while carrying the JACK to score, since attempting to throw the JACK into the Run-In Goal will result in the JACK bouncing back out without scoring. Alternatively, the JACK may be passed to a player who is already standing in the Run-In Goal.
The Throw-In Goal is a team-colored hole in the wall which is located somewhere between the Run-In Goal and the middle of the map. To score upon an enemy's Throw-In Goal, the JACK must be thrown into the goal.
The Bonus Goal, like the Throw-In Goal, is a team-colored hole into which the JACK must be thrown to score. Traditionally, the Bonus Goal is high up and normally requires the use of a particular Jump Pad to reach. However, unlike the Throw-In Goal, the Bonus Goal is worth three points, and cannot be scored upon unless the JACK Power Meter is filled.
It may be helpful to think of the Run-In Goal as the "touchdown zone", the Throw-In Goal as the "hockey goal", and the Bonus Goal as the "basketball hoop".
Passing the JACK to teammates fills a JACK Power Meter, which is visible on the HUD at the top of the screen. The meter must be filled in order to unlock the Bonus Goals, which grant three points to the scoring team. If a JACK is taken by the enemy team, the JACK Power will not reset, allowing a team to score on the Bonus Goal using the JACK Power built up by the enemy team. After a goal is scored, or after the JACK lays dormant on the ground for too long, the JACK resets, and JACK Power resets to zero along with it. JACK Power also starts to decay slowly after some time.
Other JACK effects
Several weapons or other equippable items or player conditions have various effects on the JACK.
Each class has a selection of either primary or secondary weapons that are capable of manipulating the JACK at some distance farther than a player’s melee reach. Some of these weapons can only simply move the JACK away from the player, while others can move the JACK in other directions under the player's control. Advantages for manipulating the JACK include picking up the JACK from far beyond melee range, retrieving the JACK from an enemy kill zone, moving the JACK towards teammates or away from enemies when not close enough to pick it up, or moving the JACK to a more defensible position without resetting the dead JACK timer.
- Bullets push the JACK away from the shooting player at a range as far as the weapon can shoot. This effect also applies to the Short Circuit within its limited range. Several other projectiles have a similar effect when they hit the JACK (e.g., Scout's thrown items), but some have no such effect.
- Explosions deflect the JACK away from the exploding rocket, grenade, sticky bomb, or Scorch Shot projectile. The player can steer the JACK by controlling where the weapon explodes.
- Only those explosive Projectiles that explode on world impact will explode when they directly hit the JACK (e.g., Scorch Shot).
- Compression blasts deflect the JACK; however, the JACK follows the aim point, the opposite of explosions.
- Thrown weapons can push the JACK away if they directly hit the JACK.
- The Flying Guillotine, Mad Milk, and Jarate all can push the JACK if they hit it.
- The Sandman ball is more accurate at longer distance and hits the JACK harder.
The following weapons have no manipulative active effect on the JACK when used:
- Crusader's Crossbow bolts disappear upon hitting the JACK.
- Flare Gun
- Fortified Compound and Huntsman arrows are shattered by the JACK.
- Righteous Bison
- Rocket Jumper
- Sticky Jumper (although direct hits from the stickies will deflect the JACK)
- No Pyro primary weapon has any effect on the JACK other than compression blast.
Prohibited pick up
The following conditions prohibit JACK pick up:
- Engineer carrying a building
- Soldier equipped with a Rocket Jumper
- Demoman equipped with a Sticky Jumper
- Spy using any Cloak device
- Spy using a Disguise Kit
- Heavy spinning any primary weapon
- Scout using Bonk! Atomic Punch
- Any class using a Taunt
Under the above conditions that prohibit JACK pick up, the players can nudge or dribble the JACK with their feet. While this effect is generally rather weak, the Demoman seems to have the strongest dribble. A Bonk! Scout generally runs faster than the kicked JACK.
- No player may pick up the JACK while taunting.
- Certain weapon-related taunts are prohibited while carrying the JACK (e.g., Kamikaze and Armageddon), while other taunts are permitted.
- The JACK carrier will drop the JACK while taunting.
- Players can kick the JACK while performing the Conga taunt.
PASS Time has three compatible maps that carry the pass_ prefix.
PASS Time has 2 achievements related to this game mode.
- Added new game mode 'PASS Time' to the TF2 Beta.
August 18, 2015 Patch #2
- Fixed a client crash related to the HUD.
- Fixed the Short Circuit being used to remove the Jack from the game.
- Fixed players being able to pick-up the Jack while they have weapons deployed that cannot be holstered.
August 18, 2015 Patch #3
- Fixed a PASS Time sound bug related to carrying the JACK.
- Fixed disguised Spies not having a shield drawn for them in the HUD
- Fixed players being able to carry the JACK while taunting (fixes an exploit with The Eureka Effect)
- Fixed being able to 'inspect' the JACK while players are carrying it.
- Fixed capturing the JACK not incrementing Scout contract points
- Fixed scoring in your own goal if you change teams while the JACK is in flight.
- Fixed disguised and cloaked enemy Spies having a shield drawn for them in the HUD.
- Fixed players sometimes not being able to throw the jack.
- Fixed another case where players could teleport the jack with The Eureka Effect.
- Fixed The Dead Ringer making it impossible to throw the JACK or deactivate the Dead Ringer.
- All global special abilities that are activated with alt-fire are now available while carrying the jack, unless you're actively aiming the JACK.
- Unlocked console variables for community servers to experiment with without requiring sv_cheats.
- Fixed Scouts being able to pick up the JACK while drinking.
- Fixed disguised Spies being able to carry the JACK in some situations.
- Made weapon switch faster after throwing the JACK.
- Fixed not getting a speed boost if you score and then get the JACK after it respawns.
- Fixed a crash if mp_tournament was enabled and someone scored during pre-game.
- Improved the way blocking works.
- Fixed being able to cancel enemy taunts by hitting them with the ball.
- Fixed seeing a phantom JACK in your hand if you threw the JACK and couldn't switch back to your previous weapon (jars, cleavers, etc.)
- If the JACK is neutral for too long, it will automatically respawn.
- If a player holds the JACK for too long, teammates can steal the JACK from that player.
- Catching and intercepting a tossed JACK is slightly easier.
- Demoman can no longer charge or detonate while holding the JACK.
- Enabled melee-only for sudden death mode.
- Rounds will continue after the timer expires until the JACK becomes neutral or someone scores.
- The JACK will heal its carrier to full health.
tf_passtime_unstablefor testing unstable features.
- Unstable features.
- Attack, defense, and support classes have different throwing arcs (
- The JACK inherits some of the thrower's velocity (
- Attack, defense, and support classes have different throwing arcs (
- Added an alternate version of
- Instead of scoring by throwing the JACK into the goal, players need to carry the JACK into the goal.
- Trying out some new sounds.
- Catching and intercepting a tossed JACK is slightly easier.
- Added convar
- Fixed an issue that prevented disguised Spies from receiving a pass from enemies.
- Fixed a bug that allowed overloadable weapons to continue reloading while carrying the JACK.
- Fixed an issue that awarded a point to the wrong team during team switch.
- Fixed an issue that prevented automatic JACK respawn from working in some cases.
- Fixed a wrong texture on goal visualizers.
- Fixed pass lock sound not playing for the targeted player.
- The announcer now says "overtime" at the appropriate time.
- Removed jump pads from the second floor of the warehouse.
- Added more spectator cameras.
- Added lateral jump pads to the middle arena.
October 28, 2015 Patch (Scream Fortress 2015)
- Fixed viewmodel/worldmodel when
- Added convar:
- Added entity:
- Updated PASS Time to fix not seeing the Halloween version of the JACK while it's being carried by a player.
- Each class now has slightly different throwing power and arc.
- During Overtime, the round doesn't end until the JACK has been neutral for a few seconds (
- All available enemy goals will show a reticle on the HUD while carrying the JACK.
- Added max pass range parameter to
- The JACK won't automatically respawn unless it's been picked up at least once.
- New map:
- Fixed a dedicated server crash related to dropped weapons and the JACK in PASS Time mode.
- Experimenting with new HUD elements and art.
- Experimenting with new viewmodel animations.
- New testing feature '
tf_passtime_team_bonuses' that shares pass, steal, and intercept bonuses with the whole team.
- Fixed workshop maps not loading correctly.
- Fixed being able to get inside jump pads.
- Removed Sandman long-distance steal.
- Added experimental cvars for playtesting.
- Fixed PASS Time game mode showing up in the wrong quickplay UI categories.
July 7, 2016 Patch #1 (Meet Your Match Update)
- PASS Time update.
- No longer in Beta!
- New Items Available.
- An Early Participation Pin will be awarded to everyone who played PASS Time during beta
- Two new achievements with item rewards.
- Tune Merasmus's Multi-Dimensional Television.
- Map Changes
- All maps are tweaked, polished, and out of beta
- Added a new city-themed map,
- An updated
pass_templatefor level designers will be released on http://www.escalation.com/news
- Game Mode Changes
- Changed the score limit from 3 to 5
- Tweaked various JACK throwing parameters
- Pack Running
- The JACK no longer heals the player carrying it
- A player carrying the JACK with no nearby teammates is marked for death
- Teammates near a player holding the JACK will be slowly healed, and can run as fast as the fastest nearby teammate
- JACK Power
- Passing the JACK increases a power meter
- The power meter will decay over time
- Filling the power meter unlocks a special goal worth extra points
- Art Changes
- New view model animations
- The HUD provides more information about goal type and status
- Player pips for Spies will reflect cloak and disguise status
- Misc Details
- Added cvar
tf_glowentity that can be used to enable the glow effect on any entity
trigger_passtime_ballFGD entry to hide unimplemented features, temporarily
- Spawnflag added to
func_passtime_goalto indicate to the HUD that a goal is unlocked by JACK power.
- Added cvar
- Fixed the Jackpot! PASS Time achievement not tracking wins.
- Updated several HUD materials to support mat_picmip
- Fixed seeing the wrong cap limit in the win panel
- Fixed achievement items (e.g. Civilian Grade JACK Hat) not cloaking with the Spy.
- Tweaks and fixes for all maps.
- Fix pack speed not being updated sometimes.
- Aiming players will no longer receive pack speed bonus.
- Some adjustments to reduce average round length.
- Overtime will end immediately if the winning team touches the ball.
- Overtime won't happen if it's impossible for the losing team to win.
- Updated PASS Time view model positions to support using FOV 70
- Fixed players being able to pick-up the PASS Time JACK while they are stunned.
- Fixed PASS Time exploit related to bonus points.
- Loaded rockets with the Beggar's Bazooka can be fired while holding the JACK.
- If a player attempts to pass the JACK to another player who has the ConTracker open, the JACK will appear to slow down near the player with the ConTracker.
- Because PASS Time was created by a third party, community-created PASS Time maps cannot be added to the game by Valve.
- When each class gets the JACK, there is a very small chance of them playing a unique animation.