The Red-Tape Recorder is a Sapper replacement for the Spy. It appears to be a reel-to-reel tape recorder with three Chinese characters ("反炮塔") on the front. Translated into English, these characters can be closely translated as "Anti-Turret (Device)" or "Anti-Sentry (Device)".
Instead of damaging a enemy's buildings, the Red-Tape Recorder forces them to go through a half-speed reversal of the building process; any applicable upgrade animations are played in reverse, followed by the building packing itself up into a toolbox. As a result, this destroys the building and leaves the toolbox behind as a large ammo pickup. Destroying the Recorder will allow the building to reconstruct but not restore any lost levels, unless the building is in the middle of an upgrade animation, which will allow it to upgrade to the next level.
The Recorder breaks into four metal fragments upon removal. The fragments can then be picked up, each gib giving 3 metal each.
The Recorder has five different sounds for when it is sapping a building.
|Spy-cicle||Reclaimed Metal||Red-Tape Recorder|
- The Red-Tape Recorder was added to the game.
- Increased The Red-Tape Recorder's downgrade speed from 1.6 seconds to 3.0 seconds.
- Fixed building health compounding after being downgraded
- [Undocumented] Fixed the Homewrecker not destroying Red-Tape Recorder Sappers in one hit.
- Buildings destroyed by the Red-Tape Recorder will not fire the OnDestroyed logic output, which can adversely affect map logic.
- Dispensers that get sapped by this weapon will function as normal instead of being disabled.
- When a building is destroyed by the Red-Tape Recorder, it doesn't always appear in the killfeed.
- Occasionally when removing the Red-Tape Recorder from a Mini-Sentry, the mini sentry will revert to a buggy level 2 Mini-Sentry.
- If a Teleporter is sapped by the Recorder, and the Recorder is removed in-between upgrade animations, the arrows pointing to the other end of the Teleporter will be removed.
- The Red-Tape Recorder does not glow when crit boosted.
- If the Recorder is removed just after it is placed on a building, it will add to the building's health.
- The custom animations for the world view were not added, causing the item to clip into Spy's hands. The animations are confirmed to be shipping soon.
- This weapon's name references the term "red tape", which refers to bureaucracy that hinders or prevents action or decision-making.
- A vaguely audible message can be heard when placing the Red-Tape Recorder onto a Sentry Gun.