Strange Parts are exclusive tools that are only obtainable via crates, with the exception of the Full Moon Kills part which can be found as a random drop. Strange Parts can only be used on Strange weapons. They allow players to track additional statistics such as number of headshot kills or buildings destroyed.
Up to three Strange Parts can be applied onto one Strange weapon. Certain Strange Parts cannot be used on certain weapons; for example, the Headshot tool cannot be used on a Strange Wrench. When applied, it will not count any previous stats. Strange Parts can be removed from a weapon using the Restore button in the backpack; however, a part which has been removed will not be returned to the player, and instead will be permanently lost.
Certain parts require certain weapons, below is a list of the restrictions:
|List of Strange Parts|
|Tag Required||Strange Part|
|Can Deal Damage|| 41
|Can Deal Gib Damage|| 41|
| Can Deal Damage
|Can Headshot|| 42|
|Can Reflect Projectiles||42|
| Can Deal
| Can Deal
| Can be Equipped
by Soldier or Demoman
|Can Destroy Sappers||47|
| Can Deal
|Can Deal Taunt Damage||60|
|Can Heal Allies|| 77|
- Any parts applied to Engineer wrenches will only count actions with the Wrench and not with any built Sentry Guns.
- Servers using an altered
tf_playergibsetting will not change the way the Gib Kills counter is counted, only kills that would normally gib will still be counted.
- The Critical Kills Strange part can be applied to the Big Earner, which is unusual as no other knives can use this part.
- All the strange Flamethrowers do not count issues with reflected projectiles. That means it does not count gib kills with deflected rocket/grenade, headshots with deflected arrows and kills while explosive jumping on deflected enemy explosives. As a result respective Strange Parts can not be applied.
- Destroying sappers with any Strange Engineer wrenches will not increase a buildings destroyed counter, however destroying sappers with a Strange Homewrecker will increase a Buildings destroyed counter.
- Strange Parts were added to the game.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Parts: Gib Kills, Airborne Enemies Killed, Heavies Killed, Buildings Destroyed, Projectiles Reflected and Headshot Kills.
March 23, 2012 [Item schema update]
- Added the ability to remove Strange parts via the Restore button in the backpack.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Parts: the Posthumous Kills, Allies Extinguished and, Full Moon Kills.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Parts: the Demomen Killed, Soldiers Killed, Domination Kills, Revenge Kills, Critical Kills and Kills While Explosive Jumping.
- [Undocumented] Strange Part counters watched in-game now appear in a dim-gray color.
- Fixed Strange Part: Projectiles Reflected not tracking grenade and sentry rocket deflections.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Part: Full Moon Kills to the drop system.
July 12, 2012 [Item schema update]
- Strange Part: Posthumous Kills can now apply to the Rainblower.
- Fixed the Strange Sandman not accepting the Posthumous Kills strange part.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Parts: the Scouts Killed, Cloaked Spies Killed and Sappers Destroyed.
- Fixed the Gunslinger not accepting Sappers Removed strange parts.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange Parts: Engineers Killed, Robots Destroyed and Low-Health Kills.
- Stickybombs, Jarate, Mad Milk, and the Sandman's baseballs do not increase the Projectiles Reflected counter when reflected.
- Chargin' Targe and Mantreads can still equip the Buildings Destroyed Strange Part, but cannot raise the counter, even by killing an Engineer hauling an active building.