The Black Rose is a promotional melee weapon for the Spy. It is a partially serrated, double-edged butterfly knife. Roses are engraved along the blade, and a symbol of an encircled rose is imprinted on the handles. The weapon has two styles: The "Mystery and True Love" style is team-colored, while the "Baccara" style colors the weapon almost entirely black.
This weapon functions identically to the Knife.
This item was awarded to players who completed the Alliance of Valiant Arms achievement 1st One Down by creating a character and playing their first game. In addition, this achievement also unlocked the Holy Mackerel melee weapon for use in Alliance of Valiant Arms. As of June 29, 2018 said game has shut down, rendering this item no longer obtainable.
Damage and function times
|Damage and function times|
|Ranged or Melee damage?||Melee|
|Attack interval||0.8 s|
|Values are approximate and determined by community testing.|
|1st One Down|
1st game played after creating character
|Mystery and True Love||Baccara|
- The attribute Attack an enemy from behind to Backstab them for a one hit kill. is missing.
- When changing styles, the weapon preview will display slightly outside of the borders.
- The weapon's description is a play on the phrase "Say it with flowers", which is commonly associated with the giving of roses to loved ones.
- The weapon's name is a reference to a type of rose used in fiction, with a variety of different meanings and titles.
- Additionally, the Baccara style is a reference to one of the titles given to this type of rose.
- The way the Spy opens the Black Rose would likely cut his thumb in real life, due to the animation being shared with the stock, single-edged knife; double-edged balisongs are opened quickly with an alternative cautious method.
- Alliance of Valiant Arms was not available in certain countries, making the Black Rose unobtainable to certain users. A list of whitelisted countries may be found here.
- The Black Rose was announced as being made tradable in the April 18, 2012 Patch. This did not happen, and the incorrect information was removed from the official release note.