This cosmetic item has two styles. The "Vibrio Cholerae" style gives the hat a light leather appearance with black stitching while the eyes are made darker and more empty, as opposed to the glassy look of the default "Yersinia Pestis" style. Paint is also applied differently, either to the base of the beak or the eyes, depending on the style.
|Yersinia Pestis||Vibrio Cholerae|
- The Blighted Beak was added to the game.
- The Blighted Beak was changed from a headwear slot item to a misc slot item.
- The Blighted Beak was updated with a creator submitted fix.
- The Blighted Beak was made paintable and the creator submitted fixes are correctly implemented.
- [Undocumented] Removed team colors.
- Added style "Vibrio Cholerae".
- [Undocumented] The Blighted Beak no longer falls off on death.
- Beak masks, whilst finding popularity in mask parties, originated as primitive gas masks for Medieval plague doctors during the Black Death. The beak was reputed to be filled with scented materials, such as posies, roses, carnations, mint, camphor, ambergris, cloves, myrrh, or even a vinegar-soaked sponge, as at the time it was believed that "bad air" caused disease - which is known as the miasma theory of disease. In fact, malaria receives its name from Medieval Italian for "bad air."
- The contributors of the Blighted Beak also created the Grimm Hatte, another Black Death-themed hat. They were submitted together through the Contribution page (now replaced by the Steam Workshop).
- The styles available for the Blighted Beak refer to two bacteria species that were prevalent at the time. The default style, "Yersinia pestis", is named after the bacteria responsible for all 3 variants of Plague. The alternative style, "Vibrio Cholerae", is named after a bacteria responsible for causing cholera in humans.