First Annual Saxxy Awards
The First Annual Saxxy Awards was a contest held amongst the community to create a replay in order to earn "the most prestigious virtual award in combat filmmaking: a foot-high bust of an almost entirely naked Australian man." The competition was announced alongside the Replay Update.
At the Battle voting page, the user was given two videos of the selected category, and could vote for their preferred one. The given videos were randomly chosen, and new ones were selected after each vote. Voting was only available to Steam account holders that owned Team Fortress 2, and a given user could only vote a maximum of one hundred times per day. The Battle voting round of the Saxxy Awards voting process officially ended at 4:30 PM PST, Thursday, May 26th, 2011.
The Finales voting stage began at 3:10 PM PST, Thursday, June 2nd, 2011. Unlike at other awards shows, where the winners are necromanced by magicians, the Saxxy Award winners in all twenty categories were selected by Steam community members, through the nominees page. Each player was allowed one vote per category. Players were able to change their vote until the voting period ended at 11:00 AM PST, Monday, June 6th, 2011.
The finalists were the following:
- Most Inventive Kill
- Best Mid-air Murder
- Biggest Massacre
- Funniest Replay
- Best Getaway
- Best Revenge
- Most Pwnage
- Most Heroic
- Best Set Design
- Best Team Costume
- Best Original Soundtrack
- Best 30 Second Trailer
- Best Coordinated Combat
- Most Dramatic
- Best Cinematography
- Best Editing
- Most Epic Fail
- Most Extreme Stunt
The Awards Show
At 5:35 PM PST, Monday, June 6th, 2011, the Awards Show was announced on the official blog. Hosted by Saxton Hale, The First Annual Saxxy Awards Show LIVE aired at 3:00 PM PDT on Wednesday, June 8th. The Award Show lasted one hundred minutes, as specifically stated during the post. There were 20 categories, with a Saxxy awarded every five minutes.
The winners were the following:
|Category||Winning Video||Winning Filmmaker(s)|
|Most Inventive Kill||
||Limie Pie and [LapFox] Kitcaliber :3|
|Best Mid-air Murder||
||Q. and Quark|
||Arse Gravy and Mr PostLamp|
|Best Set Design||
||The Dota Dude|
|Best Team Costume||
||ShrekIsLove, Darth Zed, Hamz, Beep, BigGayTonkaTruck, Johnny Muhammad, Moby The Duck, Chris and Xarlable|
|Best Original Soundtrack||
||Zoolooman, Juno and rally|
|Best 30 Second Trailer||
||Elmer Fuck, Twitch.tv/Druoxtheshredder and Flick | Awp|
|Best Coordinated Combat||
||OneOfThoseDays and Damone|
|Most Epic Fail||
|Most Extreme Stunt||
|Players' Choice ||
|Best Overall Replay||
||xlr105 -Chicken Eater-|
- Launched the First Annual Saxxy Awards.
- Extended the Saxxy contest deadline to 11:59:59 PM GMT, Friday, May 20th, 2011.
- [Undocumented] Removed the Saxxy Awards promotion on the main menu.
- Francis the Talking France first appeared in an article titled Death of Adventure Games, written in 2000 by Erik Wolpaw, a Valve employee.
- While the category is titled "Mostest Pwnage" on the Saxxy Awards page and voting pages, the spelling error was fixed in the blog post announcing the winners and in-game.
- Deadline extended to Friday, May 20th, 2011 as of the May 19th, 2011 patch
- Also known as Most Controversial; this category was not present on the voting page.
- Team Fortress 2 - Saxxy Awards
- Saxxy Awards Voting
- Official blog entry listing the winners (The Saxxy Awards Are Here! - June 8, 2011)