The Full Head of Steam is an unlockable cosmetic item for all classes. It is a top hat with three steam pipes and a steam pressure gauge protruding from the brim, which wobble as the player moves.
This item is awarded to players who have earned seven of the eleven map-specific achievements (not counting the Milestone earned for doing so) for the Foundry map.
December 15, 2011 Patch #1 (Australian Christmas 2011)
- The Full Head Of Steam was added to the game.
December 15, 2011 Patch #2
- [Undocumented] The Full Head Of Steam now appears as a proper name with "The" prefixed.
March 2, 2021 Patch
- [Undocumented] Renamed the "Full Head Of Steam" to "Full Head of Steam".
- The name of this hat references the practice of preparing a steam engine for operation. It was necessary to exceed a certain threshold of pressure in the boiler before the engine could be operated. This procedure was referred to as building a "full head of steam." The phrase has also come to describe any significant amount of driving force or momentum.
- According to the museum at Coal Town, the Full Head of Steam (referred to as a "Steam-Powered Hat Prototype") was first introduced in 1921 at the Paris World Fashion Expo by Bilious Hale in an effort to reinvigorate the nation's waning interest in all things that are powered by coal, and requires 50 pounds of coal a day to run.