The items first appeared in the Very Scary Halloween Special event. They could be collected in the Eyeaduct map during the annual Haunted Halloween Special where a Haunted Halloween Gift would appear every five minutes on a server with 10 or more non-bot players. They were also available through the Mann Co. Store before November 8, 2011. Any gifts collected in the Underworld of Eyeaduct were awarded in the Haunted quality. Additionally, if the complete item set is worn, a special set effect could be applied.
Another set of Halloween costumes were released with the Scream Fortress 2014. Players who opened the game during the update were given a Halloween Gift Cauldron. Upon opening the Halloween Gift Cauldron, players received a chance of obtaining a Strange Haunted Halloween cosmetic piece. A second Halloween Gift Cauldron was awarded to players who completed the Carnival Of Carnage: Bumper To Bumper To Bumper achievement.
The sets are holiday restricted to Halloween and Full Moon events. The Haunted Halloween Gift will not appear on Eyeaduct outside of the annual Haunted Halloween Special Event, and as such, these items are only obtainable by trading any other time.
List of Halloween costumes
| Masked Mann|
Collect a Soul Gargoyle in Mann Manor.
| Carnival Of Carnage: Bumper To Bumper To Bumper|
Win each of the 3 bumper car games to earn a bonus Halloween Gift Cauldron.
- Added the Curse-A-Nature, the Tin Soldier, the Infernal Imp, the Highland Hound, the FrankenHeavy, the Brundle Bundle, the Mad Doktor, the Camper Van Helsing and the Invisible Rogue item sets.
- Added a taunt for the Tin Soldier set.
- Added FrankenHeavy set taunt.
- Added the Grand Duchess item set.
- Added the Boston Bulldog, the Rocket Ranger, the Terracotta Trooper, Burny the Pyrosaur, Malice in Pyroland, the Murky Lurker, the Count Tavish, the Cursed Captain, Doctor Galactic, the Sun King, the Gravel Pit Emperor item sets.
- Update on the Halloween Update
- Scream Fortress Very Scary Halloween Special
- Very Scary Halloween Special Update Page
- Scream Fortress VI
- Scream Fortress VI Update Page