The outcome was never really in doubt.
— The Spy after solving a mystery
The Private Eye is a community-created paintable cosmetic item for the Demoman, Medic and Spy. It is a deerstalker hat with the Mann Co. label stitched on the front and three team-colored matches sticking out of the right side, the top most's head being burnt off.
Reduces mystery solving time by up to 88%
- Note: The attributes are hidden until both items are equipped.
- This set does not affect gameplay, as its description is meant to be a joke. However, it does change a handful of item descriptions, as of June 20, 2012 Patch.
April 7, 2011 Patch (Third Community Contribution Update)
- Added the Private Eye to the game.
July 9, 2011 [Item schema update]
- The Private Eye can now be equipped by the Demoman.
July 12, 2011 [Item schema update]
- The Private Eye can now be equipped by the Medic.
July 18, 2011 Patch
- Updated The Private Eye so it can be equipped by the Medic and Demoman.
March 8, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added the Private Eye to the Eliminating The Impossible set.
April 1, 2014 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
- The deerstalker is a hat generally worn for stalking deer, as its name implies. However, it's most commonly associated with fictional English private detective Sherlock Holmes, who is usually depicted as wearing one (although he was never officially described as doing so).
- Private Eye is slang for Private Investigator. The term was made popular in detective movies.
- The Private Eye was originally designed for the Demoman and the name "Private Eye" was in reference to his one good eye.
, Scottish Handshake
, Conscientious Objector
, Freedom Staff
, Bat Outta Hell
, Memory Maker
, Ham Shank
, Necro Smasher
, Crossing Guard
, Prinny Machete
) · Eyelander
(Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker
, Nessie's Nine Iron
) · Pain Train · Scotsman's Skullcutter · Ullapool Caber · Claidheamh Mòr · Half-Zatoichi · Persian Persuader