Hey, is somebody keeping track of my heads batted in?
— The Scout
Strange quality is an item quality available for weapons, cosmetics, and taunts. Methods of obtaining Strange items include:
- Unlocking a Mann Co. Supply Crate containing the item,
- Using a Strangifier or Strange Bacon Grease on a compatible item,
- Earning Botkiller or Australium weapons from Mann Up mode,
- Redeeming a Strange War Paint for a Decorated weapon,
- Acquiring preexisting items through trading or the Steam Community Market
Strange weapons track kills or other various events (see Unique Rank Methods below for exceptions), and records them as an item attribute, allowing the count to be viewable by other players and the owner. Cosmetic items with the Strange quality track the number of points scored while wearing the item. Strange items are awarded new ranks as their counters increase, with the rank affixed to the beginning of the item's name. Each time a Strange item reaches a new rank, the event is announced to all players on the server with a message in the chat box. A notification pop-up appears, accompanied by a sound, but only for the player the Strange item belongs to. A Strange item can have a maximum of 4,294,967,295 on the counter, the unsigned 32-bit integer limit.
Decorated weapons with the Strange quality have a "Stat-Clock" placed on the weapon that increments in real-time.
Strange Parts (a type of tool that can track additional variables) can be added to many Strange quality items. A maximum of three parts can be added to a given item. They do not contribute toward rank progress for the item.
The Strange Count Transfer Tool allows points, both for the main counter and any applied parts, to be transferred between two Strange items of the same type.
Strange Filters can also be used to further limit the statistics that are tracked by the item to certain community-made maps.
The hexadecimal color code for Strange items is #CF6A32.
|20||160000||Mann Co. Select|
|Rank||Tickle Fights Won||Name|
|20||8500||Mann Co. Select|
|20||2550||Mann Co. Select|
|1||1||The Baseline Benefactor's|
|2||3||The Competent Contributor's|
|3||7||The Adequate Altruist's|
|4||12||The Satisfactory Santa's|
|5||20||The Sufficient Samaritan's|
|6||28||The Distinguished Donator's|
|7||37||The Dynamic Do-Gooder's|
|8||47||The Consumate Contributor's|
|9||57||The Baron of Bequeathment's|
|10||68||The Lord of Largesse's|
|11||79||The Chieftain of Charity's|
|12||91||The Generalissimo of Generosity's|
|13||104||The Bigshot Benefactor's|
|14||120||The Caesar of Pleasers'|
|15||138||The First-Class Philanthropist's|
|16||158||The Humanitarian Hotshot's|
|17||179||The Selfless Samaritan's|
|19||10000||Mann Co. Select|
|20||15000||Mannceaux Signature Collection|
|Rank||Duck XP Level||Name|
Unique Rank Methods
Certain Strange items do not level up via tracked kills, and instead level based on other criteria:
|Unique Strange Rank Methods|
|Secondary||Number of times ingested.|
|Bonk! Atomic Punch||Crit-a-Cola|
|Number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".|
|Mad Milk||Mutated Milk|
|Secondary||Number of banners deployed.|
|Buff Banner||Battalion's Backup|
|Secondary||Number of times eaten. Will only increase if used to heal damage.|
|Number of times eaten. Will increase if used to heal damage or not.|
|Melee||Number of enemies hit with critical hits, or "Tickle Fights Won".|
|Secondary||Wrangled Sentry kills.|
|Melee||Sentry Gun kills, whether Wrangled or not.|
(Melee kills are tracked as an automatically-added strange part.)
|PDA||Sentry Gun kills, whether Wrangled or not.|
(Health Dispensed and Allies Teleported are also tracked as automatically-added strange parts.)
|Secondary||ÜberCharges on other players.|
(Kill assists are tracked as an automatically-added strange part but do not influence rank.)
The Vaccinator's ÜberCharge number is divided by four, due to it having four ÜberCharges and only after a multiple of four ÜberCharges are used in a single life does it count as an ÜberCharge. (Essentially four Vaccinator ÜberCharges are equal to one Stock strange ÜberCharge.)
|Number of Kill assists.|
|Secondary||Number of coated enemies, or "Sodden Victims".|
|Jarate||Self-Aware Beauty Mark|
|Number of Spies shocked by backstab attempts, or "Spies Shocked".|
|Building||Number of buildings destroyed.|
|PDA 2||Number of seconds Cloaked. Points are added to counter upon decloak.|
|Invis Watch||Cloak and Dagger|
|Number of feigned deaths.|
|Cosmetic||Points scored while wearing the item.|
|Kills in the Carnival of Carnage while wearing the item, or "Carnival Kills".|
(Carnival Underworld Kills and Carnival Games Won are also tracked as automatically-added strange parts.)
|Haunted Cosmetic items|
|Action items||Number of Power Up Canteens used in Mann vs. Machine.|
|Battery Canteens||Kritz or Treat Canteen|
- Kills are counted together for classes that share the same Strange weapon or cosmetic.
- Killing a teammate while friendly fire is enabled increases the kill total with a Strange weapon by one.
- It is not possible to reset a Strange item's point/kill counter without also resetting the counters for any Strange parts that may be applied to the item.
- Using a Name Tag changes the name of the Strange item, but the item still retains its rank and counters. The current rank is displayed under the name of the weapon in light grey text.
- The following actions do not increase the total kill count for Strange weapons:
- Killing yourself with a Strange weapon.
- Activating the cloak of a Spy who is using the Dead Ringer.
- Killing an enemy (via projectile reflections or environmental damage) with the compression blast.
- Killing bots, whether it be player bots, or Mann vs. Machine robots (there is a Strange Part for this however).
- Trading, selling a Strange item on the Steam Community Market, or using Gift Wrap on a Strange item causes its counter to reset to zero and its prefix to reset to Strange. Using Gift Wrap on a Strange item presents the player a warning to this effect.
- The item still tracks kills as normal after these actions.
- Taunts use generic rank names as opposed to cosmetic rank names.
- Points scored in Strange cosmetics only increase if there is at least two human players in the server.
- Therefore, objectives such as pushing the Payload or capturing the flag, do not count if there is just one human player on the server.
Strange items by class
- List of Scout Strange quality items
- List of Soldier Strange quality items
- List of Pyro Strange quality items
- List of Demoman Strange quality items
- List of Heavy Strange quality items
- List of Engineer Strange quality items
- List of Medic Strange quality items
- List of Sniper Strange quality items
- List of Spy Strange quality items
- List of All classes Strange quality items
- [Undocumented] Added Strange quality.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Chargin' Targe, Grenade Launcher, Stickybomb Launcher, Eyelander, Rocket Launcher, Pain Train, Shotgun, Direct Hit, Gloves of Running Urgently, Minigun, and Natascha.
- Fixed the problem that was causing Strange Demoman shields to not accumulate kills.
July 12, 2011 [Item schema update]
- Added Strange variants of Sandman, Pistol, Scattergun, Boston Basher, Ambassador, Conniver's Kunai, Knife, Revolver, Flamethrower, Flare Gun, Powerjack, and Backburner.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Syringe Gun, Crusader's Crossbow, Bonesaw, Medi Gun, Sniper Rifle, Sydney Sleeper, Bushwacka, Jarate, Frontier Justice, Jag, and Wrench.
- Updated the Strange quality color from RGB [205, 155, 29] (#CD9B1D) to RGB [207, 106, 50] (#CF6A32).
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Axtinguisher, Black Box, and Razorback.
- [Undocumented] Added a "Spies Shocked" attribute for the Strange Razorback.
- [Undocumented] Added a "Heads Taken" attribute for the Strange Eyelander.
- When sorting the backpack, otherwise-equivalent items will sort by strange weapon rank and crate series number if possible.
- When selecting items from loadout, weapons with different kill eater ranks will all show up.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Ullapool Caber, Kritzkrieg, Holy Mackerel, Gunslinger, Machina, Mad Milk, Half-Zatoichi, Fists, and Degreaser.
- [Undocumented] Strange weapon ranking notifications no longer appear as a toast popup on screen.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Brass Beast, Ubersaw, L'Etranger, and Equalizer.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Your Eternal Reward, Family Business, Soda Popper, Amputator, Reserve Shooter, Atomizer, Southern Hospitality, and Scottish Resistance.
- Added Festive weapons with Strange quality attached.
- [Undocumented] Strange weapon level up alerts re-added for the player whose weapon leveled up.
- Spirit Of Giving was added to the game.
- Fixed some cases where strange Ullapool Cabers and Wrenches would fail to correctly count kills.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Bazaar Bargain, Big Earner, Blutsauger, and Liberty Launcher.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of SMG, Killing Gloves of Boxing, Quick-Fix, and Dead Ringer.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Loch-n-Load and Overdose.
- Added Strange Part.
- Fixed a bug that would cause chat-text strange weapon rank up notifications to sometimes display player names as "unknown"
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Holiday Punch, Huntsman, Widowmaker, Mantreads, Sapper, Bat, Diamondback, Bottle and Back Scratcher.
- Added the ability to remove Strange parts via the Restore button in the backpack
- Added the ability to reset scores on Strange items via the Restore button in the backpack
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Tribalman's Shiv, Detonator, and Shortstop.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Scotsman's Skullcutter, Persian Persuader, and Market Gardener.
June 27, 2012 Patch (Pyromania Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Escape Plan, Rainblower, and Lollichop.
- Fixed Strange Escape Plans not counting kills.
August 15, 2012 Patch (Mann vs. Machine Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Silver and Gold Botkiller weapons.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Force-A-Nature and Tomislav.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Shovel and Homewrecker.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Rust, Blood, Carbonado and Diamond Botkiller weapons.
December 20, 2012 Patch (Mecha Update)
- Added Strange Filter items to the Mann Co. Store to support community map makers.
- Added Strange variants for Festive weapons introduced in the update.
- Added Strange variants of the Silver and Gold Botkiller Mk.II Weapons.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Spy-cicle, Wrap Assassin, and Baby Face's Blaster.
- Fixed Strange Buff Banner and Strange Sandvich not always tracking usage.
- Fixed the Strange Sapper's "Buildings Sapped" counter sometimes incrementing when buildings were destroyed without a Sapper attached.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Frying Pan, Construction PDA, Original, Invis Watch, Splendid Screen, Fire Axe, Flying Guillotine, Beggar's Bazooka, Fists of Steel, and Neon Annihilator.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Kukri, Huo-Long Heater, and Enforcer.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Bonk! Atomic Punch, Fan O'War, Battalion's Backup, Disciplinary Action, Loose Cannon, Pomson 6000, Hitman's Heatmaker, Merc's Pride Scarf, RoBro 3000, Summer Shades, Bonk Boy, Fancy Dress Uniform, Sight for Sore Eyes, Bird-Man of Aberdeen, Toss-Proof Towel, Teddy Roosebelt, Archimedes, Villain's Veil, Camera Beard and All-Father
- Fixed an exploit that allowed Strange counters to be incremented negatively.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Boston Boom-Bringer, Lord Cockswain's Novelty Mutton Chops and Pipe, Stockbroker's Scarf, Dark Age Defender, Sandvich Safe, Foppish Physician, Outback Intellectual, Blood Banker, and Professor Speks.
November 21, 2013 Patch (Two Cities Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Australium weapons to the game.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Crit-a-Cola, Solemn Vow, Concheror, Eviction Notice, Rescue Ranger and Scorch Shot.
December 20, 2013 Patch (Smissmas 2013)
- Added Strange variants for Festive weapons introduced in the update.
- Updated Strange Wranglers to track wrangled sentry kills.
- [Undocumented] Strange Wranglers now track wrangled kills properly.
- Fixed deflected projectiles not affecting Strange and Killstreak counts.
- [Undocumented] Fixed the MvM upgrade menu closing when a Strange item has its counter increment.
February 7, 2014 Patch #2
- Fixed the MvM upgrade menu closing when a Strange item has its counter increment.
- Fixed Strange versions of the Southern Hospitality not tracking sentry kills.
- Added Strange variants of Antarctic Researcher, Archers Groundings, Backstabber's Boomslang, Bullet Buzz, Bushi-Dou, Colonel's Coat, Combat Slacks, Dark Falkirk Helm, Deep Cover Operator, Dough Puncher, Ein, Eliminators Safeguard, Fashionable Megalomaniac, Gaiter Guards, Gone Commando, Ground Control, Heat of Winter, Heavy Lifter, Heer's Helmet, Huntsman's Essentials, Juggernaut Jacket, Killer's Kit, Law, Leftover Trap, Mustachioed Mann, Napolean Complex, Rat Stompers, Sammy Cap, Sangu Sleeves, Scotch Saver, Smock Surgeon, Sole Mate, Sole Saviors, Stylish DeGroot, Teutonic Toque, Ticket Boy, Toowoomba Tunic, Trash Man, Trencher's Topper, Trencher's Tunic, War Goggles and Warmth Preserver.
- [Undocumented] Added Strange variants of Cute Suit.
- Fixed item descriptions for Strange scores not appearing to update.
- Fixed a bug where damage dealt and healing done Strange scores would stop incrementing.
- Strange Ranks are no longer displayed on the web (Trade, Steam backpack, Market) and only show 'Strange' as a prefix.
- Added Strange variants of AWPer Hand, Cow Mangler 5000, Frenchman's Beret, Texas Ten Gallon, Third Degree and Winger.
- Fixed the Strange Dalokohs Bar not counting food eaten.
- All Strange items now have a visible icon in backpack panels.
- Fixed a bug where Strange Dalokohs Bars were incorrectly counting Allied Healing Done events as Allies Extinguished.
- Strange Sandviches can now accept Allies Extinguished strange parts.
July 7, 2016 Patch #1 (Meet Your Match Update)
- [Undocumented] Added Strange qualities for multiple cosmetics.
- Updated the Strange ranks for the Razorback to be similar to the Manntreads(sic).
- Counters may not track every kill.
- Counters do not update in-game when inspecting another player's Strange weapon on the Deathcam.
- The Holiday Punch levels up by successfully punching an enemy with a critical hit, regardless of whether laughter was caused.
- The Chargin' Targe and Splendid Screen count any type of kill the Demoman gets with his primary and melee weapons when he has the shield equipped, along with shield bash kills.
- Select items, such as consumables (Crit-a-Cola, Sandvich, etc.) and the banners (Concheror, Buff Banner, etc.) can be leveled when playing on training.
- ↑ E-mail from Eric Smith confirming the maximum amount.