The Unusual quality is an item quality used on cosmetic items, taunts, and weapons. Unusual quality items have special particle effects attached to them, and are considered to be some of the rarest items in Team Fortress 2. There are currently 486 cosmetic items that can have one of 137 total effects, 58 taunts that can have one of 46 total effects, and 45 weapons that can have one of 3 effects. Unusual items can be obtained mainly by opening Mann Co. Supply Crates and cases. There is less than a 1% chance of obtaining an Unusual quality item through crates and cases. Unusual quality items can be obtained in any crate or case, but the effect pools may vary depending on the crate or case series. These effect pools are most often referred to as "generations".
The hexadecimal color code for Unusual items is.
- 1 Unusual effects
- 1.1 Standard Series
- 1.2 Community Sparkle
- 1.3 Summer Series
- 1.4 Scream Fortress Series
- 1.5 Smissmas Series
- 1.6 Robotic Boogaloo
- 1.7 Love & War Update
- 1.8 End of the Line Update
- 1.9 Gun Mettle Update
- 1.10 Invasion Community Update
- 2 Other Unusual Items
- 3 Unused content
- 4 List of Unusual Items
- 5 Update history
- 6 Bugs
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 See also
Standard Unusual effects can be found in specific crate series.
The first generation of standard Unusual effects was added in the Mann-Conomy Update. They can be obtained in crates Series #1 through Series #25, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Gen 1 Unusual effects|
|Burning Flames||Circling Heart||Circling Peace Sign||Circling TF Logo||Green Confetti||Green Energy|
|Haunted Ghosts||Massed Flies||Purple Confetti||Purple Energy||Scorching Flames||Searing Plasma|
The second generation of standard Unusual effects was added in the August 18, 2011 Patch. They can be obtained in crates Series #26 through Series #58, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Gen 2 Unusual effects|
|Blizzardy Storm||Bubbling||Nuts n' Bolts||Orbiting Fire||Orbiting Planets||Smoking|
The third generation of standard Unusual effects was added in the June 19, 2013 Patch. They can be obtained in crates and cases Series #59 through Series #103, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Gen 3 Unusual effects|
|Aces High (RED)||Aces High (BLU)||Cloud 9||Dead Presidents||Disco Beat Down||Kill-a-Watt|
|Community Sparkle Unusual effects|
|Cosmetic effects||Taunt effects||Weapon effects|
|Community Sparkle||Community Sparkle||Community Sparkle|
Summer Unusual effects can be found in specific Summer crates. During Summer events, they're available in all other crate series.
|List of Summer 2020 Pack Unusual effects|
|Aromatica||Bee Swarm||Chromatica||Frisky Fireflies||Kaleidoscope||Prismatica|
|Smoldering Spirits||Verdatica||Wandering Wisps|
Scream Fortress Series
Scream Fortress Unusual effects can be found in specific Scream Fortress crates. During Scream Fortress events, they're available in all other crate series.
Very Scary Halloween Special
The first Scream Fortress generation of Unusual Effects was added in the Very Scary Halloween Special. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Very Scary Halloween Special Unusual effects|
|Cauldron Bubbles||Cloudy Moon||Eerie Orbiting Fire||Flaming Lantern|
Spectral Halloween Special
The second Scream Fortress generation of Unusual Effects was added in the Spectral Halloween Special. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Spectral Halloween Special Unusual effects|
|Harvest Moon||It's A Secret To Everybody||Knifestorm||Misty Skull||Stormy 13th Hour|
Scream Fortress V
The third Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress V update. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Scream Fortress V Unusual effects|
|Arcana||Chiroptera Venenata||Darkblaze||Demonflame||Hellfire||Poisoned Shadows|
|Something Burning This Way Comes||Spellbound|
Scream Fortress VI
The fourth Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VI update. They could be obtained in any crate or Unusualifier during the event.
|List of Scream Fortress VI Unusual effects|
|Amaranthine||Bonzo The All-Gnawing||Ghastly Ghosts Jr||Haunted Phantasm Jr||Stare From Beyond||The Ooze|
|Ghastly Ghosts||Haunted Phantasm|
Scream Fortress VII
The fifth Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VII update. They could only be obtained by opening a Gargoyle Case or using an Unusualifier during the event. They can still be obtained by opening a Gargoyle Case.
|List of Scream Fortress VII Unusual effects|
|Ancient Eldritch||Death by Disco||Eldritch Flame||Ether Trail||It's a mystery to everyone||It's a puzzle to me|
Scream Fortress VIII
The sixth Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VIII update. They could be obtained in any crate, case, or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Creepy Crawly Case.
|List of Scream Fortress VIII Unusual effects|
|Neutron Star||Starstorm Insomnia||Starstorm Slumber||Tesla Coil|
|Hellish Inferno||Infernal Flames||Infernal Smoke||Spectral Swirl|
Scream Fortress X
The seventh Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress X update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Violet Vermin Case.
|List of Scream Fortress X Unusual effects|
|Brain Drain||Clairvoyance||Galactic Gateway||Head of Steam||Omniscient Orb||Open Mind|
|Ring of Fire||The Dark Doorway||The Eldritch Opening||Vicious Circle||White Lightning|
|Acidic Bubbles of Envy||Flammable Bubbles of Attraction||Ominous Night||Poisonous Bubbles of Regret||Roaring Rockets||Spooky Night|
Scream Fortress XI
The eighth Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress XI update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Spooky Spoils Case.
|List of Scream Fortress XI Unusual effects|
|Abyssal Aura||Ethereal Essence||Fifth Dimension||Ghastly Grove||Menacing Miasma||Mystical Medley|
|Twisted Radiance||Valiant Vortex||Verdant Vortex||Vicious Vortex||Violet Vortex||Wicked Wood|
|Accursed||Bewitched||Eerie Lightning||Enchanted||Jarate Shock||Nether Void|
|Static Mist||Terrifying Thunder|
Scream Fortress XII
The ninth Scream Fortress generation of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress XII update. Currently, they can be be obtained in any case or Unusualifier.
|List of Scream Fortress XII Unusual effects|
|Gourdian Angel||Gravelly Ghoul||Green Giggler||Laugh-O-Lantern||Plum Prankster||Pumpkin Party|
|Pyroland Nightmare||Vexed Volcanics|
|Arachnid Assault||Arcane Assistance (RED)||Arcane Assistance (BLU)||Astral Presence||Creepy Crawlies||Emerald Allurement|
|Pyrophoric Personality||Spectral Escort||Spellbound Aspect||Static Shock||Toxic Terrors||Veno Shock|
Smissmas Unusual effects can be found in specific Smissmas crates. During Smissmas events, they're available in all other crate series.
The first Smissmas generation of Unusual effects was added in the Smissmas 2019 update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Winter 2019 Cosmetic Case.
|List of Smissmas 2019 Unusual effects|
|Defragmenting Reality (RED)||Defragmenting Reality (BLU)||Fragmented Gluons||Fragmented Photons||Fragmented Quarks||Fragmenting Reality|
|Frozen Icefall||Pyroland Daydream (RED)||Pyroland Daydream (BLU)||Refragmenting Reality||Snowblinded||Snowfallen|
|Arctic Aurora||Festive Spirit||Good-Hearted Goodies||Magical Spirit||Winter Spirit||Wintery Wisp|
An exclusive generation of Unusual effects was added in the Robotic Boogaloo update. They could be obtained in any crate during the event. They can still be obtained by opening a Robo Community Crate.
|List of Robotic Boogaloo Unusual effects|
|Anti-Freeze||Electrostatic||Green Black Hole||Memory Leak||Overclocked||Phosphorous|
|Power Surge||Roboactive||Sulphurous||Time Warp|
Love & War Update
|List of Love & War Update Unusual effects|
|'72||Fountain of Delight||Holy Grail||Mega Strike||Midnight Whirlwind||Screaming Tiger|
|Showstopper (RED)||Showstopper (BLU)||Silver Cyclone||Skill Gotten Gains|
End of the Line Update
An exclusive generation of Unusual effects was added in the End of the Line Update. They could be obtained in any crate during the event. They can still be obtained by opening an End of the Line Community Crate.
|List of End of the Line Update Unusual effects|
|Death at Dusk||Frostbite||Molten Mallard||Morning Glory|
Gun Mettle Update
|List of Gun Mettle Update Unusual effects|
*Removed from all Unusual pools in the Tough Break Update
Invasion Community Update
|List of Invasion Community Update Unusual effects|
|Abduction||Ancient Codex||Atomic||Electric Hat Protector||Galactic Codex||Magnetic Hat Protector|
|Nebula||Subatomic||Voltaic Hat Protector|
Other Unusual Items
Two special items of Unusual quality were introduced in the Scream Fortress Update: the Haunted Metal Scrap and Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker. The Haunted Metal Scrap is given to any player who has taken part in defeating the Horseless Headless Horsemann with a melee weapon during a Halloween event. The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker can be obtained by crafting, and is statistically identical to the Eyelander. Despite having the Unusual quality, these items have no unique particle effects.
Unused Unusual effects
These effects either currently or previously existed in the game's files, but were left unused. They are named by their internal filenames, as they have no official names. Please note that certain effects have been modified to display correctly.
Currently unused effects
These effects currently exist in the files of the game, and aren't used anywhere.
|List of currently unused Unusual effects|
Removed unused effects
These effects previously existed in the files of the game, but have since been removed.
|List of removed Unusual effects|
List of Unusual Items
- With enough player movement, Unusual effects from the Invasion update (Subatomic, Atomic) will become off-center from the player's head.
- Unusual effects from the End of the Line update (Morning Glory, Death at Dusk, Molten Mallard) also show similar bugs, except parts of the particle effect (sun, duck respectively) drift a huge distance away from the player.
- One end of the particle effect on Kill-a-Watt and Terror-Watt may randomly attach to temporarily random areas of a map, causing the effect to stretch from the point through any walls to the wearer's head.
- Sometimes an Unusual effect floats in the air separated from the player's model instead of sticking to the cosmetic item.
- This can occur when a player taunts.
- Effect may also appear on the player's abdomen, or chest; it may also disappear along with the cosmetic.
- Community contributors whose Unusual effects are accepted through the Steam Workshop are awarded a Self-Made Unusual Cap.
- Some items with Unusual effects cannot be unboxed, such as the Finder's Fee, the Unusual Cap, items with Community quality, Self-Made items, and World Traveler's Hat.
- The first Unusual ever uncrated was a Circling Peace Sign Stout Shako.
- The effects Kill-a-Watt and Terror-Watt's names reference certain measures of electrical power, these being kilowatts and terawatts respectively.
- The effect Dead Presidents' name refers to a slang term used to describe U.S. currency, which comes from the fact that most U.S. banknotes depict deceased presidents.
- The effect itself uses a $100 bill with Saxton Hale's face on it.
- The effect It's a secret to everybody's name is a reference to a popular phrase in the video game series The Legend of Zelda. The appearance of the effect paired with the name seems to be a reference to the moon in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- The effect Massed Flies is based on a stereotype frequently used in cartoons that something with an unpleasant or very pronounced odor will attract flies.
- The effect Stormy 13th Hour's name is a reference to the fact that the 13th hour is commonly associated with paranormal happenings.
- The effect Chiroptera Venenata's name is rough Latin for "poisonous bat".
- The effect Something Burning This Way Comes's name references the fantasy horror novel by the name Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury; the title is itself a reference to the Shakespeare piece Macbeth, towards a specific line in Act 4, Scene 1.
- The effect Bonzo The All-Gnawing is a small version of the tent monster seen in Carnival of Carnage.
- The entire Death by Disco effect is a reference to the Undertale character, Papyrus.
- The effects It's a mystery to everyone and It's a puzzle to me are references to two emotes from the Something Awful forums. The effect itself has a ghost orbiting around.
- The effects Sulphurous and Phosphorous' names are references to the chemical elements Sulfur (or sulphur) and Phosphorus.
- The effect Skill Gotten Gains is a play on the phrase 'ill gotten gains' meaning money obtained through illegal acts.