The Unusual quality is an item quality used on cosmetic items, taunts, and weapons. Unusual quality items have special particle effects attached to them, and are considered to be some of the rarest items in Team Fortress 2. There are currently 525 cosmetics that can have one of 176 total effects, 71 taunts that can have one of 67 total effects, and 44 weapons that can have one of 5 effects. Unusual items can primarily be obtained through opening Mann Co. Supply Crates and cases. There is a of obtaining an Unusual quality item through crates and cases. Unusual quality items can be obtained in any crate or case, but the effect pools may vary depending on the crate or case series.
The hexadecimal color code for Unusual items is.
- 1 Unusual effects
- 1.1 Standard Series
- 1.2 Summer Series
- 1.3 Scream Fortress Series
- 1.4 Smissmas Series
- 1.5 Miscellaneous Series
- 2 Other Unusual Items
- 3 Unused content
- 4 List of Unusual Items
- 5 Update history
- 6 Bugs
- 7 Notes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 See also
Standard Unusual effects can be found in specific crate series and all case series.
The first series of standard Unusual effects was added in the Mann-Conomy Update. They can be obtained in crates Series #1 through Series #25, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Series 1 Unusual effects|
|Green Confetti||Purple Confetti||Haunted Ghosts||Green Energy||Purple Energy||Circling TF Logo|
|Massed Flies||Burning Flames||Scorching Flames||Searing Plasma||Vivid Plasma||Sunbeams|
|Circling Peace Sign||Circling Heart|
The second series of standard Unusual effects was added in the August 18, 2011 Patch. They can be obtained in crates Series #26 through Series #58, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Series 2 Unusual effects|
|Stormy Storm||Blizzardy Storm||Nuts n' Bolts||Orbiting Planets||Orbiting Fire||Bubbling|
The third series of standard Unusual effects was added in the June 19, 2013 Patch. They can be obtained in crates and cases Series #59 through Series #103, as well as any case. If obtained through a crate, the hat may be any hat from any Mann Co. Supply Crate. If obtained through the case, the hat will be exclusive to that case.
|List of Series 3 Unusual effects|
|Kill-a-Watt||Terror-Watt||Cloud 9||Aces High (RED)||Aces High (BLU)||Dead Presidents|
|Miami Nights||Disco Beat Down|
Summer Unusual effects can be found in specific Summer cases.
|List of Summer 2020 Pack Unusual effects|
|Verdatica||Aromatica||Chromatica||Prismatica||Bee Swarm||Frisky Fireflies|
|Smoldering Spirits||Wandering Wisps||Kaleidoscope|
|List of Summer 2021 Pack Unusual effects|
|Aggradation||Resonation||Lucidation||Stunning||Ardentum Saturnalis||Fragrancium Elementalis|
|Reverium Irregularis (RED)||Reverium Irregularis (BLU)||Perennial Petals||Flavorsome Sunset||Raspberry Bloom||Iridescence|
Scream Fortress Series
Scream Fortress Unusual effects can be found in specific Scream Fortress crates and cases.
Very Scary Halloween Special
The first Scream Fortress series of Unusual Effects was added in the Very Scary Halloween Special. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Very Scary Halloween Special Unusual effects|
|Flaming Lantern||Cloudy Moon||Cauldron Bubbles||Eerie Orbiting Fire|
Spectral Halloween Special
The second Scream Fortress series of Unusual Effects was added in the Spectral Halloween Special. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Spectral Halloween Special Unusual effects|
|Knifestorm||Misty Skull||Harvest Moon||It's A Secret To Everybody||Stormy 13th Hour|
Scream Fortress V
The third Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress V update. They could be obtained in any crate during the event.
|List of Scream Fortress V Unusual effects|
|Arcana||Spellbound||Chiroptera Venenata||Poisoned Shadows||Something Burning This Way Comes||Hellfire|
Scream Fortress VI
The fourth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VI update. They could be obtained in any crate or audition reel during the event.
|List of Scream Fortress VI Unusual effects|
|Bonzo The All-Gnawing||Amaranthine||Stare From Beyond||The Ooze||Ghastly Ghosts Jr||Haunted Phantasm Jr|
|Haunted Phantasm||Ghastly Ghosts|
Scream Fortress VII
The fifth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VII update. They can be obtained by opening a Gargoyle Case.
|List of Scream Fortress VII Unusual effects|
|Death by Disco||It's a mystery to everyone||It's a puzzle to me||Ether Trail||Nether Trail||Ancient Eldritch|
Scream Fortress VIII
The sixth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress VIII update. They could be obtained in any crate, case, or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Creepy Crawly Case.
|List of Scream Fortress VIII Unusual effects|
|Neutron Star||Tesla Coil||Starstorm Insomnia||Starstorm Slumber|
|Hellish Inferno||Spectral Swirl||Infernal Flames||Infernal Smoke|
Scream Fortress X
The seventh Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress X update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Violet Vermin Case.
|List of Scream Fortress X Unusual effects|
|Brain Drain||Open Mind||Head of Steam||Galactic Gateway||The Eldritch Opening||The Dark Doorway|
|Ring of Fire||Vicious Circle||White Lightning||Omniscient Orb||Clairvoyance|
|Acidic Bubbles of Envy||Flammable Bubbles of Attraction||Poisonous Bubbles of Regret||Roaring Rockets||Spooky Night||Ominous Night|
Scream Fortress XI
The eighth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress XI update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Spooky Spoils Case.
|List of Scream Fortress XI Unusual effects|
|Fifth Dimension||Vicious Vortex||Menacing Miasma||Abyssal Aura||Wicked Wood||Ghastly Grove|
|Mystical Medley||Ethereal Essence||Twisted Radiance||Violet Vortex||Verdant Vortex||Valiant Vortex|
|Bewitched||Accursed||Enchanted||Static Mist||Eerie Lightning||Terrifying Thunder|
|Jarate Shock||Nether Void|
Scream Fortress XII
The ninth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress XII update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Wicked Windfall Case.
|List of Scream Fortress XII Unusual effects|
|Green Giggler||Laugh-O-Lantern||Plum Prankster||Pyroland Nightmare||Gravelly Ghoul||Vexed Volcanics|
|Gourdian Angel||Pumpkin Party|
|Spectral Escort||Astral Presence||Arcane Assistance (RED)||Arcane Assistance (BLU)||Emerald Allurement||Pyrophoric Personality|
|Spellbound Aspect||Static Shock||Veno Shock||Toxic Terrors||Arachnid Assault||Creepy Crawlies|
Scream Fortress XIII
The tenth Scream Fortress series of Unusual effects was added in the Scream Fortress XIII update. They can currently be obtained in any case or Unusualifier.
|List of Scream Fortress XIII Unusual effects|
|Tempered Thorns||Devilish Diablo||Severed Serration||Shrieking Shades||Restless Wraiths (RED)||Restless Wraiths (BLU)|
|Infernal Wraith||Phantom Crown||Ancient Specter||Viridescent Peeper||Eyes of Molten||Ominous Stare|
|Pumpkin Moon||Frantic Spooker||Frightened Poltergeist||Energetic Haunter|
|Spectral Shackles||Cursed Confinement||Cavalier de Carte (RED)||Cavalier de Carte (BLU)||Hollow Flourish||Magic Shuffle|
|Vigorous Pulse||Thundering Spirit||Galvanic Defiance||Wispy Halos||Nether Wisps||Aurora Borealis|
|Aurora Australis||Aurora Polaris|
Smissmas Unusual effects can be found in specific Smissmas cases.
The first Smissmas series of Unusual effects was added in the Smissmas 2019 update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Winter 2019 Cosmetic Case.
|List of Smissmas 2019 Unusual effects|
|Sparkling Lights||Frozen Icefall||Fragmented Gluons||Fragmented Quarks||Fragmented Photons||Defragmenting Reality (RED)|
|Defragmenting Reality (BLU)||Fragmenting Reality||Refragmenting Reality||Snowfallen||Snowblinded||Pyroland Daydream (RED)|
|Pyroland Daydream (BLU)|
|Good-Hearted Goodies||Wintery Wisp||Arctic Aurora||Winter Spirit||Festive Spirit||Magical Spirit|
The second Smissmas series of Unusual effects was added in the Smissmas 2020 update. They could be obtained in any case or Unusualifier during the event. The cosmetic effects can still be obtained by opening a Winter 2020 Cosmetic Case.
|List of Smissmas 2020 Unusual effects|
|Frozen Fractals||Lavender Landfall||Special Snowfall||Divine Desire||Distant Dream||Violent Wintertide|
|Blighted Snowstorm||Pale Nimbus||Genus Plasmos||Serenus Lumen||Ventum Maris||Mirthful Mistletoe (RED)|
|Mirthful Mistletoe (BLU)|
|Delightful Star||Frosted Star||Apotheosis||Ascension||Reindoonicorn Rancher (RED)||Reindoonicorn Rancher (BLU)|
|Twinkling Lights||Shimmering Lights|
Miscellaneous Unusual effects are standalone and are not connected to any holiday.
|Community Sparkle Unusual effects|
|Cosmetic effects||Taunt effects||Weapon effects|
|Community Sparkle||Community Sparkle||Community Sparkle|
|List of Robotic Boogaloo Unusual effects|
|Phosphorous||Sulphurous||Memory Leak||Overclocked||Electrostatic||Power Surge|
|Anti-Freeze||Time Warp||Green Black Hole||Roboactive|
Love & War Update
|List of Love & War Update Unusual effects|
|Showstopper (RED)||Showstopper (BLU)||Holy Grail||'72||Fountain of Delight||Screaming Tiger|
|Skill Gotten Gains||Midnight Whirlwind||Silver Cyclone||Mega Strike|
End of the Line Update
|List of End of the Line Update Unusual effects|
|Frostbite||Molten Mallard||Morning Glory||Death at Dusk|
Gun Mettle Update
|List of Gun Mettle Update Unusual effects|
*Removed from all Unusual pools
Invasion Community Update
|List of Invasion Community Update Unusual effects|
|Abduction||Atomic||Subatomic||Electric Hat Protector||Magnetic Hat Protector||Voltaic Hat Protector|
|Galactic Codex||Ancient Codex||Nebula|
Other Unusual Items
Two special items of Unusual quality were introduced in the Scream Fortress Update: the Haunted Metal Scrap and Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker. The Haunted Metal Scrap is given to any player who has taken part in defeating the Horseless Headless Horsemann with a melee weapon during a Halloween event. The Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker can be obtained by crafting, and is statistically identical to the Eyelander. Despite having the Unusual quality, these items have no unique particle effects.
Unused Unusual effects
These effects either currently or previously existed in the game's files, but were left unused. They are named by their internal filenames, as they have no official names. Please note that certain effects have been modified to display correctly.
Currently unused effects
These effects currently exist in the files of the game, and aren't used anywhere.
|List of currently unused Unusual effects|
Removed unused effects
These effects previously existed in the files of the game, but have since been removed.
|List of removed Unusual effects|
List of Unusual Items
- With enough player movement, Unusual effects from the Invasion update (Subatomic, Atomic) will become off-center from the player's head.
- Unusual effects from the End of the Line update (Morning Glory, Death at Dusk, Molten Mallard) also show similar bugs, except parts of the particle effect (sun, duck respectively) drift a huge distance away from the player.
- One end of the particle effect on Kill-a-Watt and Terror-Watt may randomly attach to temporarily random areas of a map, causing the effect to stretch from the point through any walls to the wearer's head.
- Sometimes an Unusual effect floats in the air separated from the player's model instead of sticking to the cosmetic item.
- This can occur when a player taunts.
- Effect may also appear on the player's abdomen or chest; it may also disappear along with the cosmetic.
- Sometimes a weapon Unusual effect can appear blocking a player's first person view, only resetting once the player switches weapons, respawns or switches teams.
- Community contributors whose Unusual effects are accepted through the Steam Workshop are awarded a Self-Made Unusual Cap.
- Some items with Unusual effects cannot be unboxed, such as the Finder's Fee, the Unusual Cap, items with Community quality, Self-Made items, and World Traveler's Hat.
- The first Unusual hat ever uncrated was a Circling Peace Sign Stout Shako.
- Kill-a-Watt and Terror-Watt's names reference certain measures of electrical power, these being kilowatts and terawatts respectively.
- Dead Presidents' name refers to a slang term used to describe U.S. currency, which comes from the fact that most U.S. banknotes depict deceased presidents.
- The sprite itself is a United States $100 bill with Saxton Hale's bust on it.
- It's A Secret To Everybody's name is a reference to a popular quote from The Legend of Zelda video game series.
- Stormy 13th Hour's name refers to the "13th stroke of a clock", a phrase used to indicate that previous events should be called into question.
- Chiroptera Venenata's name uses the scientific name for bats, Chiroptera, as well as Venenata - rough Latin for "poisonous animal". This makes Chiroptera Venenata's name roughly translate to "poisonous bat".
- Something Burning This Way Comes' name references the fantasy horror novel Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury; the title is itself a reference to the Shakespeare piece Macbeth, towards a specific line in Act 4, Scene 1.
- Bonzo The All-Gnawing is a miniature version of the tent monster seen in Carnival of Carnage.
- It's a mystery to everyone and It's a puzzle to me both reference an emote from the Something Awful forums of a ghost with the caption "it is a mystery."
- The effects Sulphurous and Phosphorous' names are references to the chemical elements Sulfur (or sulphur) and Phosphorus, respectively.
- The effect Skill Gotten Gains' name is a play on the phrase "ill gotten gains," meaning money obtained through illegal acts.
- The effect Pumpkin Moon is based on the Pumpkin Moon seasonal event in the game Terraria.