Victory of '68
I did that bad? :(
- Accepting of apology. --Piemanmoo 19:29, 2 April 2014 (PDT)
Odin Reference in War!
Patiently permit me to restart (without the indenture). I hope that you will reconsider my Odin trivia, at least in the core premise, or at least help me revise it to be acceptable.
I believe I can reasonably expect that you can recognize that the statue in WAR! is in reference to Odin. Perhaps the main Odin reference isn’t the problem. But let me back up a bit.
When I first saw the MONOCULUS, it immediately reminded me of the Odin’s Eye monster from The Mighty Thor series. I admit, the coincidence of one-eyed god and a one-eyed mercenary slipped past me at that time. I have read WAR! comic a few times, I’m embarrassed to say that I missed the that the statue is Odin for so long. And how fitting is it to place a god of war in a comic titled War!? But on page 14, they shove it in your face, eye-to-eye, as it were!
But then, why even place the shield with the statue? Ravens and spear? Yes. Ravens and spear is how you tell the reader that the statue is supposed to be Odin. But did Odin have a famous shield? I am not sure that he did. But even if he did, why put a MONOCULUS-like eye on the shield, when a symbol for the Eye of Odin (cross over a circle) resembles the TF2 trademark?
- A God of War statue in a comic titled WAR! Fitting, yes, but why? Wouldn’t any old statue do for the beheading demo? Why not a famous statue? Michelangelo’s David? Or Rodan’s Thinker? No. Who the statue is is important here.
- Not Mars, not Ares, with their heads full of eyeballs, but the one-eyed boozer Odin.
- Both Odin and Demoman have an eye removed. OK. That explains the selection of Odin.
- But wait, both of the removed eyes become giant flame/eye bomb shooting monsters!?!?
- The inexplicable eye on the shield. WHY? An eye on a shield is not an Odin thing. That shape of that eye is not a Norse or Medieval style. That eye looks like no eye in Heraldry; but, it looks like MONOCULUS.
So, I hope you can consider that, at the face of it, at least the placement of the Odin reference at Demoman’s house was deliberate. OK, comparing their notorious drinking habits, weak. But, were the publishers thinking of Odin's Eye and MONOCULUS at that time? Not absolutely certain, but the eye on the shield is at least an interesting coincidence.
- You are reading too far into things.--Piemanmoo 13:32, 18 April 2014 (PDT)
- I should have thought "Reading into things" is part of the point of subtle references. Let's take a simpler point. Help me understand, how is it interpreted that the Odin reference of page any less noteworthy than the Meet the Spy references of page 1 or 2 or the gunboat pose of page 3? Was my first error that I didn't realize that most readers would have recognized Odin on their own but not Meet the Spy? Mikado282 (talk) 15:50, 18 April 2014 (PDT)
- Yeah I know, I checked.--Piemanmoo 12:50, 12 July 2015 (PDT)
Context of quote on Strange page
Why did you remove the context I added on Strange? There's nothing wrong with it and it aids the reader's understanding of the Scout's question. Hail Fellow Well Met (talk) 16:28, 17 September 2015 (PDT)
- Because the quote works fine without the flavor text, it doesn't need to have the context spelled out. --Piemanmoo 23:00, 17 September 2015 (PDT)
Emergency wiki cap nomination meeting 1.0
A user hit 1 year in nomination queue due to lack of staff votes. We held an emergency meeting in IRC on Tuesday, May 17, and the result was this. Piemanmoo, please provide some feedback! Darkid « Talk — Contribs » 22:13, 17 May 2016 (PDT)
Message from Lagg:
Due to how long reviews are taking for Jew, ClockworkSpirit, and myself, we wants you to PM your review for him to be used as a proxy to move the voting process along. Contact him for details. -- Dr. Scaphandre 19:55, 29 August 2016 (PDT)
- okay, I'll contact him on steam--Piemanmoo 15:13, 30 August 2016 (PDT)