... all these civilian buildings look the same to this old war dog.
— Soldier Unhappy Returns
The War Dog is a community-created cosmetic item for the Soldier. It turns the Soldier's head into that of a brown bulldog, with a darker lower jaw, darker spots on his left eye and the back of the head, and floppy cheeks.
The head comes with fully-enabled facial flexing for voice commands and responses.
This item has two styles, named "No Helmet" and "Helmet". The "No Helmet" style removes the Soldier's default helmet, while the "Helmet" style keeps it.
This item can only be worn around Halloween or during a Full Moon; at other times of the year, it does not appear in gameplay, unless the server has Halloween mode enabled. However, it can be equipped at any time and can still be viewed on the loadout screen even when it is not visible during games.
The War Dog was contributed to the Steam Workshop.
October 5, 2021 Patch (Scream Fortress 2021)
- The War Dog was added to the game.
- Updated schema
drop_typefor the War Dog.
- [Undocumented] Fixed a typo that prevented the
equip_regionsof the War Dog from working properly.
- [Undocumented] Reverted the previous change to the
equip_regionof the War Dog.
- The War Dog is set up to have equip regions for "Whole Head" and "Head Skin", but does not due to incorrectly using
equip_regionto define multiple equip regions.
- A war dog is a term used to describe a thoroughly experienced soldier.