Xbox 360 controls
These are the Xbox 360 controls for Team Fortress 2. These controls are also the default set when the game is played on a PC while using an Xbox 360 controller.
|Bumpers and triggers|
|Right Bumper||Cycle weapons left to right rotation|
|Left Bumper||Cycle weapons right to left rotation|
|Right Trigger||Primary fire|
|Left Trigger||Secondary fire|
|D-Pad Up||Primary weapon|
|D-Pad Down||Melee weapon|
|D-Pad Right||Secondary weapon|
|D-Pad Left||Special weapon (Engineers and Spies only)|
|Right Thumbstick||Look around|
|Click Right Thumbstick||Call for Medic|
|Left Thumbstick||Move around|
|Click Left Thumbstick||Crouch/duck|
|Back Button||Choose class|
|Guide Button||Opens up Steam overlay (When using Big Picture)|
Setting up the Xbox 360 controller on a PC
Controller options are included in the Options menu, but by default they are not fully enabled and need to be entered manually in a similar manner to setting up other keyboard and mouse settings. Team Fortress 2 does includes full control coding and "Heads Up Display" settings for the Xbox 360 controller, although they need to be manually activated through the console:
- To fully activate the Xbox 360 controller in-game and to use the Xbox HUD, open the console, and enter:
- To turn off full controller functions and remove the HUD, open the console again, and enter:
Your mouse and keyboard will continue to work while the controller is enabled, but the Xbox specific "Heads Up Display" will continue to be shown.
If you have it activated, Steam cloud will automatically save your game settings, so deactivate the Xbox 360 controller code before exiting the game if you do not wish to continue to use it.
Bugs and Missing features on a PC
- When using an Xbox 360 pad on a PC, not all menus are navigable using the pad. This includes the Crafting menu and any Loadout menus. Crucially, you will also still need a keyboard to access any options menus, the server browser, and to connect to or disconnect from a server.
- When starting the game on a PC, you may need to change the sensitivity for both thumbsticks as they can automatically reset to default.
- Due to the lack of available buttons, you are unable to use any voice commands aside from calling for a Medic. If you plan on using a headset, make sure you bind a button on the pad to "talk".
- The HUD will only display Stock weapon icons when quick-switching using the D-pad rather than any class pack or other weapons.
- There are sometimes errors with the controller related to leaving the
exec 360controllercode activated and exiting the game.
- If you're going to use the
exec 360controller, the keyboard may not work sometimes if it is kept activated. An example of this is being unable to demolish buildings as Engineer using a keyboard.