List of useful console commands
|“You are so small! Is funny to me!”
This article is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help Team Fortress Wiki by expanding it.
This article has a list of useful console commands below. Using the Developer Console, you can turn specific gameplay and graphic settings on or off, or modify their values. The console can be enabled from the advanced menu in options or via Set launch options. Any command put in the autoexec.cfg file will automatically be loaded on game launch. 
These settings can also be put into the class-specific .cfg files in your Team Fortress 2 folder in order to create class-specific configurations.
For a complete list of Team Fortress 2 console commands and variables, see the Valve Developer Wiki.
List of useful console commands
- cl_ask_blacklist_opt_out 0/1 - turns question whether to blacklist a server after leaving after a short amount of time off/on
- cl_ask_favorite_opt_out 0/1 - turns question whether to favorite a server after leaving after a longer amount of time off/on
- cl_autoreload 0/1 - turns automatic reloading off/on
- cl_autorezoom 0/1 - turns Sniper Rifle re-zoom off/on
- cl_burninggibs 0/1 - burning gibs off/on
- cl_crosshair_file - sets crosshair picture. "" is standard-crosshairs. example: "crosshair1"
- cl_first_person_uses_world_model 0/1 - sets full-body awareness mode on (for use with Oculus Rift)
- cl_drawhud 0/1 - hides/shows the HUD - sv_cheats 1 required
- cl_flipviewmodels 0/1 - sets viewmodels normal/inverted(left-handed) - does not work while connected to a server
- cl_interp - sets how far character models are interpolated (drawn away from their actual position) in the world, a good standard value for hitscan weapons is 0.034
- cl_new_impact_effects 0/1 - turns new, better looking impact effects off/on, most noticeable on glass
- cl_ragdoll_collide 0/1 - turns ragdoll collisions on/off (client-side only)
- cl_ragdoll_fade_time - sets time until ragdolls disappear (client-side only)
- cl_showbackpackrarities 0/1 - turns color-coded items in trade off/on
- cl_showfps 0/1/2 - shows framerate (off/real-time/rounded)
- cl_showpos 0/1 - shows the map coordinates and movement speed of the player
- cl_yawspeed - sets the speed at which your character turns when using the +left and +right commands
- cl_spec_carrieditems - Shows non-standard items being carried by player you're spectating
- tf_allow_player_use 0/1 - disallows/allows the +use command on a server, useful for some custom maps, standard is 0. - server operator only
- tf_allow_taunt_switch 0/1/2 - disallows/allows switching weapons during taunts. (1 = start of taunt only; 2 = at any time during the taunt) - server operator only
- tf_damage_disablespread 0/1 - turns random damage-spread (+-10%) for weapons off/on - server operator only
- tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg - sets the pitch when doing maximum damage with your weapon, a lower pitch is recommended in most cases, standard is 100
- tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg - sets the pitch when doing minimum damage with your weapon, a higher pitch is recommended in most cases, standard is 100
- tf_dingaling_volume - sets the volume for hit sounds, standard is 1.00
- tf_dingaling_wav_override - allows using a custom hit sound. Note: No longer used. To use a custom hit sound, rename your sound file "hitsound.wav", and place it in the "tf/custom/my_custom_stuff/sound/ui/" folder (The folder name "my_custom_stuff" is of your choosing)
- tf_dingalingaling 0/1 - turns weapon hit sound off/on
- tf_forced_holiday 0/1/2/3 - enables holiday mode (0 = default; 1 = birthday; 2 = halloween; 3 = birthday) - server operator only
- tf_medieval 0/1 - enables Medieval mode on the server, requires map change to take effect - server operator only
- tf_medigun_autoheal 0/1 - turns automatic healing without holding the left mouse button off/on
- tf_medieval_autorp 0/1 - enables/disables automatic medieval-style text modification in the chat box
- tf_medieval_thirdperson 0/1 - toggles third person view during Medieval mode
- tf_overtime_nag 0/1 - turns endless shouting of "OVERTIME!" in Overtime off/on - server operator only
- tf_playergib 0/1/2 - handles the frequency of gibbing. (0 = never; 1 = default; 2 = always, including attacks that normally don't gib) - server operator only
- tf_taunt_first_person 0/1 - taunts are in first person for full-body awareness mode (for use with Oculus Rift)
- tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads 0/1 - turns fixed, consistent spread for weapons like Shotgun, Scattergun and Shortstop on/off - server operator only
- tf_weapon_criticals 0/1 - turns random criticals off/on - server operator only
- sv_cheats 0/1 - turns cheats off/on - server operator only
- sv_lan 0/1- cvar for local area network - server operator only
- sv_password - cvar for password protecting a server - server operator only
- sv_pure 0/1/2 - cvar for managing custom content - server operator only
- mp_autoteambalance - cvar for automatic team balancing. - server operator only
- mp_disable_respawn_times - cvar for respawn times. - server operator only
- mp_idledealmethod - cvar for managing idle players. - server operator only
- mp_restartgame - restarts the round and resets the round time. - server operator only
- mp_teams_unbalance_limit - cvar for team force balance. - server operator only
- mp_timelimit - cvar for map timelimit. - server operator only
- mp_usehwmmodels 1 & mp_usehwmvcds 1 - makes use of the hardware morph class heads used in the 'Meet the Team' videos.
- mp_waitingforplayerscancel 1 - cancels "waiting for players..." time - server operator only
- mp_friendlyfire 0/1 - Toggles friendly fire.
- hud_combattext 0/1 - turns the damage text above enemies off/on
- hud_combattext_batching 0/1 - turns the damage text above players adding together within a 0.10s interval off/on
- hud_combattext_healing 0/1 - turns the healed text above teammates off/on
- hud_reloadscheme - use this to fix various HUD-color errors or lingering Crit-effects
- bind <key> <command> - Binds a key with a command.
- bind <key> - Replies with the command the key is bound to.
- unbind <key> - Unbinds a key.
- dropitem - Drop the flag or intelligence.
- explode - Commit suicide. (by exploding into gibs)
- kill - Commit suicide.
- fov_desired 75-90 - Set desired field of view. (higher values show more of the battlefield at the cost of fps)
- jointeam red/blue/auto/spectator - Force team. (use this if you are stuck in "dead spectator" mode when too many people attempt to join a team at the same time)
- jpeg - Take a jpeg screenshot.
- retry - Retry connection to last server.
- status - Display map and connection status.
- viewmodel_fov <number> - Sets distance in which your weapons are drawn, higher values show more of the weapon and arms but may show missing parts.
- r_drawviewmodel 0/1 - Turns viewmodels on and off.
- restart - Restarts the current server.
- find <command> - A search function that displays all commands with a searched term.
- hurtme <number> - Deals a given amount of damage (can be negative for extra health) - sv_cheats 1 only
- zoom_sensitivity_ratio <number> - Sets the ratio of sensitivity while zoomed in with the Sniper Rifle with accordance to actual sensitivity.
- net_graph <1-6>
- Depending on the input value, different amounts of information will be shown such as ping, fps, lerp, packet loss, etc.
- thirdperson - Places your view in a camera behind your character - sv_cheats 1 only
- thirdperson_mayamode - If active, turning in third person does not move the camera - sv_cheats 1 only
- thirdperson_platformer 0/1 - If active, the mouse controls the camera while movement is controlled relative to it.
- If thirdperson_mayamode isn't active, walking towards the camera will 'push' your view away.
- firstperson - Return to first person perspective.
- If thirdperson_platformer is still set to 1, you will not be able to move the camera during taunts.
- currency_give <amount> - Gives a specified amount credits in Mann vs. Machine - sv_cheats 1 only
- changelevel <mapname> - Changes the map.
- cvarlist - View complete cvar list.
- exec - Execute config file.
- map <mapname> - Changes the map and restarts the server.
- Starts a new server if entered on the main menu - useful for bypassing the "Create New Server" dialog and map drop-down menu
- maps - Display list of maps.
- rcon_password <password> - gives player access to rcon commands.
- nextlevel <mapname> - Sets the next map to be played.
- rcon <command> - Executes an rcon command.
- rcon_address <ip address> - Sets the server address to send rcon commands to (if not set, console sends the command to the server that the player is currently in instead)
- record <demo name> - records a demo
- stop - stops the recording of a demo
- startmovie <moviename> - opens up the source recorder during demo play back and allows for high quality avi format recording
- endmovie - stops source recorder
- host_framerate <number> - tells the source recorder to record at a constant framerate
- host_timescale <number> - use in conjunction with host_framerate to produce a smooth video output
- demoui - brings up a toolbox for replays (shift+F2 will also bring up the tool box)
The "use" command is used to equip the specified weapon.
- use <weapon_name>
- Heavy Weapons Guy
- To equip Sapper, use: "build 3 0"
- invnext, Will equip the next weapon
- invprev, Will equip previous weapon