List of useful console commands
|“You are so small! Is funny to me!”
This article is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help Team Fortress Wiki by expanding it.
This article has a list of useful console commands below. Using the Developer Console, you can turn specific gameplay and graphic settings on or off, or modify their values. The console can be enabled from the advanced menu in options or via Set launch options. Any command put in the autoexec.cfg file will automatically be loaded on game launch. 
These settings can also be put into the class-specific .cfg files in your Team Fortress 2 folder in order to create class-specific configurations.
For a complete list of Team Fortress 2 console commands and variables, see the Valve Developer Wiki.
List of useful console commands
cl_ask_blacklist_opt_out0/1 - turns question whether to blacklist a server after leaving after a short amount of time off/on
cl_ask_favorite_opt_out0/1 - turns question whether to favorite a server after leaving after a longer amount of time off/on
cl_autoreload0/1 - turns automatic reloading off/on
cl_autorezoom0/1 - turns Sniper Rifle re-zoom off/on
cl_burninggibs0/1 - burning gibs off/on
cl_crosshair_file- sets crosshair picture. "" is standard-crosshairs. example: "crosshair1"
cl_first_person_uses_world_model0/1 - sets full-body awareness mode on (for use with Oculus Rift)
cl_drawhud0/1 - hides/shows the HUD - sv_cheats 1 required
cl_flipviewmodels0/1 - sets viewmodels normal/inverted(left-handed) - does not work while connected to a server
cl_interp- sets how far character models are interpolated (drawn away from their actual position) in the world, a good standard value for hitscan weapons is 0.034
cl_new_impact_effects0/1 - turns new, better looking impact effects off/on, most noticeable on glass
cl_ragdoll_collide0/1 - turns ragdoll collisions on/off (client-side only)
cl_ragdoll_fade_time- sets time until ragdolls disappear (client-side only)
cl_showbackpackrarities0/1 - turns color-coded items in trade off/on
cl_showfps0/1/2 - shows framerate (off/real-time/rounded)
cl_showpos0/1 - shows the map coordinates and movement speed of the player
cl_yawspeed- sets the speed at which your character turns when using the +left and +right commands
cl_spec_carrieditems- Shows non-standard items being carried by player you're spectating
tf_allow_player_use0/1 - disallows/allows the +use command on a server, useful for some custom maps, standard is 0. - server operator only
tf_allow_taunt_switch0/1/2 - disallows/allows switching weapons during taunts. (1 = start of taunt only; 2 = at any time during the taunt) - server operator only
tf_damage_disablespread0/1 - turns random damage-spread (+-10%) for weapons off/on - server operator only
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg- sets the pitch when doing maximum damage with your weapon, a lower pitch is recommended in most cases, standard is 100
tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg- sets the pitch when doing minimum damage with your weapon, a higher pitch is recommended in most cases, standard is 100
tf_dingaling_volume- sets the volume for hit sounds, standard is 1.00
tf_dingaling_wav_override- allows using a custom hit sound. Note: No longer used. To use a custom hit sound, rename your sound file "hitsound.wav", and place it in the "tf/custom/my_custom_stuff/sound/ui/" folder (The folder name "my_custom_stuff" is of your choosing)
tf_dingalingaling_repeat_delay- Limits how often the dingalingaling sound can play (default 0)
tf_dingalingaling0/1 - turns weapon hit sound off/on
tf_forced_holiday0/1/2/3 - enables holiday mode (0 = default; 1 = birthday; 2 = halloween; 3 = Christmas) - server operator only
tf_medieval0/1 - enables Medieval mode on the server, requires map change to take effect - server operator only
tf_medigun_autoheal0/1 - turns automatic healing without holding the left mouse button off/on
tf_medieval_autorp0/1 - enables/disables automatic medieval-style text modification in the chat box
tf_medieval_thirdperson0/1 - toggles third person view during Medieval mode
tf_overtime_nag0/1 - turns endless shouting of "OVERTIME!" in Overtime off/on - server operator only
tf_playergib0/1/2 - handles the frequency of gibbing. (0 = never; 1 = default; 2 = always, including attacks that normally don't gib) - server operator only
tf_taunt_first_person0/1 - taunts are in first person for full-body awareness mode (for use with Oculus Rift)
tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads0/1 - turns fixed, consistent spread for weapons like Shotgun, Scattergun and Shortstop on/off - server operator only
tf_weapon_criticals0/1 - turns random criticals off/on - server operator only
sv_cheats0/1 - turns cheats off/on - server operator only
sv_lan0/1- cvar for local area network - server operator only
sv_password- cvar for password protecting a server - server operator only
sv_pure0/1/2 - cvar for managing custom content - server operator only
mp_autoteambalance- cvar for automatic team balancing. - server operator only
mp_disable_respawn_times- cvar for respawn times. - server operator only
mp_idledealmethod- cvar for managing idle players. - server operator only
- mp_restartgame - restarts the round and resets the round time. - server operator only
mp_teams_unbalance_limit- cvar for team force balance. - server operator only
mp_timelimit- cvar for map timelimit. - server operator only
mp_usehwmvcds1 - makes use of the hardware morph class heads used in the 'Meet the Team' videos.
mp_waitingforplayerscancel1 - cancels "waiting for players..." time - server operator only
mp_friendlyfire0/1 - Toggles friendly fire.
hud_combattext0/1 - turns the damage text above enemies off/on
hud_combattext_batching0/1 - turns the damage text above players adding together within a 0.10s interval off/on
hud_combattext_healing0/1 - turns the healed text above teammates off/on
hud_combattext_doesnt_block_overhead_text0/1 - turns overwriting the particle effects used for critical hits and mini-crits off/on
- hud_reloadscheme - use this to fix various HUD-color errors or lingering Crit-effects
- bind <key> <command> - Binds a key with a command.
- bind <key> - Replies with the command the key is bound to.
- unbind <key> - Unbinds a key.
- dropitem - Drop the flag or intelligence.
- explode - Commit suicide. (by exploding into gibs)
- kill - Commit suicide.
fov_desired75-90 - Set desired field of view. (higher values show more of the battlefield at the cost of fps)
- jointeam red/blue/auto/spectator - Force team. (use this if you are stuck in "dead spectator" mode when too many people attempt to join a team at the same time)
- jpeg - Take a jpeg screenshot.
- retry - Retry connection to last server.
- status - Display map and connection status.
viewmodel_fov<number> - Sets distance in which your weapons are drawn, higher values show more of the weapon and arms but may show missing parts.
r_drawviewmodel0/1 - Turns viewmodels on and off.
- restart - Restarts the current server.
- find <command> - A search function that displays all commands with a searched term.
- hurtme <number> - Deals a given amount of damage (can be negative for extra health) - sv_cheats 1 only
zoom_sensitivity_ratio<number> - Sets the ratio of sensitivity while zoomed in with the Sniper Rifle with accordance to actual sensitivity.
- Depending on the input value, different amounts of information will be shown such as ping, fps, lerp, packet loss, etc.
- thirdperson - Places your view in a camera behind your character -
thirdperson_mayamode- If active, turning in third person does not move the camera -
thirdperson_platformer0/1 - If active, the mouse controls the camera while movement is controlled relative to it.
thirdperson_mayamodeisn't active, walking towards the camera will 'push' your view away.
- firstperson - Return to first person perspective.
thirdperson_platformeris still set to 1, you will not be able to move the camera during taunts.
- currency_give <amount> - Gives a specified amount credits in Mann vs. Machine -
- snd_reset - used to reset sound in any game mode. In Mann vs Machine, it can be used if you can hear the sound of a Sentry Buster when there isn't one spawned. Another use is if the Medi Gun Übercharge 100% crackle sound stays with you after dying, or if a teleporter or ticking Payload cart can be heard when there isn't one near you.
- player_ready_toggle - readies/unreadies the player in Mann vs. Machine
- changelevel <mapname> - Changes the map.
- cvarlist - View complete cvar list.
- exec - Execute config file.
- map <mapname> - Changes the map and restarts the server.
- Starts a new server if entered on the main menu - useful for bypassing the "Create New Server" dialog and map drop-down menu
- maps - Display list of maps.
rcon_password<password> - gives player access to rcon commands.
- nextlevel <mapname> - Sets the next map to be played.
- rcon <command> - Executes an rcon command.
rcon_address<ip address> - Sets the server address to send rcon commands to (if not set, console sends the command to the server that the player is currently in instead)
- record <demo name> - records a demo
- stop - stops the recording of a demo
- startmovie <moviename> - opens up the source recorder during demo play back and allows for high quality avi format recording
- endmovie - stops source recorder
host_framerate<number> - tells the source recorder to record at a constant framerate
host_timescale<number> - use in conjunction with
host_framerate to produce a smooth video output
- demoui - brings up a toolbox for replays (shift+F2 will also bring up the tool box)
The "use" command is used to equip the specified weapon.
- use <weapon_name>
- Heavy Weapons Guy
- To equip Sapper, use: "
build 3 0"
invnext, Will equip the next weapon
invprev, Will equip previous weapon