A Hit Sound is a sound clip that plays when dealing damage to another player. In addition, a higher-pitched sound is played along with the player's hitsound when a Critical Hit is performed. A "Last Hit Sound" has the same concept as a regular Hit Sound, but plays when dealing enough damage to kill another player.
Hit Sounds and Last Hit Sounds can be activated and customized through the Advanced Options menu.
Custom Hit Sounds
Custom Hit Sounds can be installed by placing a sound file in tf\custom\customfolder\sound\ui folder (the customfolder folder is just an example; it can be any other folder with a different name, as long as it's not the main sound file's location folder). The custom Hit Sound must be in .wav (16-bit) format in order for it to work properly. You can create your own Hit Sounds by converting a sound to .wav format. A custom Kill Sound can be made by placing a killsound.wav in the folder specified above, while a custom Hit Sound can be produced by placing a file named hitsound.wav.
Custom Hit Sounds can be downloaded from various internet sites.
Deleting a custom Hit Sound or Kill Sound will switch back to the default sound(s).
List of Hit sounds
Note: This list is for official hit sounds only. Do not add your own custom hit sounds.
List of Kill sounds
Hit sound commands
There are extra console commands that can be used to further customize hit sounds.
||Desired pitch of the hit sound when a maximum damage hit (>= 150 health) is done.
- Specifies the highest pitch of your hit sound.
||Desired pitch of the hit sound when a minimal damage hit (<= 10 health) is done.
- tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg <integer>
- Specifies the lowest pitch of your hit sound..
||Desired volume of the hit sound.
- tf_dingaling_volume <integer>
- Specifies the volume of your hit sound when played.
||If set to 1, will play a sound every time you injure another player.
- tf_dingalingaling <integer>
- Either 1 or 0. Default is 0 (disabled).
||Desired repeat delay of the hit sound. Set to 0 to play a sound for every instance of damage dealt.
- tf_dingalingaling_repeat_delay <integer>
- Sets the delay time between hit sounds.
December 22, 2010 Patch
- Custom hitsounds must now be specified by replacing the 'tf/sound/ui/hitsound.wav' file.
- Custom hitsounds can now be used under sv_pure 1/2.
July 2, 2015 Patch (Gun Mettle Update)
- Added a slider to the Advanced Options menu that adjusts the volume of the hit sound when you damage an enemy
October 1, 2015 Patch
- Added new hit-sound options for players to choose from in the Adv. Options menu
October 6, 2015 Patch
- Fixed a regression with weapon hit sounds
- Hit sounds no longer clip each other
- Min and max pitch values reverted to what they were prior to the October 1st update
- Note: the Advanced Options default slider position is 100, which is normal (0) pitch
February 29, 2016 Patch
- Added combat text and hit sounds for damage done to buildings.
- Added a "Last Hit" sound option to Hit Sounds.
- Triggered when one of your attacks causes the death of a player or building.
- Can be toggled in the Adv. Options menu.
March 1, 2016 Patch
- Update last Hit sounds.
- Added several options (located in Adv. Options on the main menu.
- Fixed custom sounds not working in sv_pure servers.
- Fixed not hearing the Last Hit sound for Spies using the Dead Ringer.
March 3, 2016 Patch
- Fixed not being able to use custom hitsounds and killsounds on servers using
March 17, 2016 Patch
- Last hit sounds no longer consider the time of the previous hit sound.
- Fixes the sound not playing if you damaged an enemy too close to landing the last hit.
- The note hit sound uses similar sound clips to those used when mousing over classes on the class selection screen.
- The ding hit sound is similar to the sound when players capture a Control Point