Team Fortress Wiki:April Fools' Day/2012
On April 1st, 2012, the Team Fortress Wiki followed its April Fools' Day tradition. We hope you enjoyed the event!
The entire thing was completely unplanned; the idea and its realization all took place in our IRC channel from March 31st, 13:45 to release on April 1st, 2 AM (GMT-5).
The event was a collaborative effort between the following editors (in alphabetical order):
- Askarmuk (Russian translation)
- Asplode (Finnish translation)
- Armisael (Circular Saw weapon demonstration)
- ballad (Moral Support, general editing the articles, wrote some patch notes)
- Drunken_F00l (gently trolling the channel)
- Epic Eric (Brazilian Portuguese translation)
- Fashnek (Images, article and patch notes cleanup, secret IRC string pulling)
- FreeXMan (Russian translation)
- i-ghost (images)
- GianAwesome (Brazilian Portuguese translation)
- Psyke (items)
- Lent (Polish translation)
- Lexar (Modelled the Ricochest)
- Mr. Magoolachub (3D model render, images)
- Moussekateer (cname record)
- NeoDement (Modelled & textured the Crocketeer's Cloak)
- NuggetWarmer (Heartwarming Headache Model)
- Plummaster (Russian translation)
- Quinnjdq (Modelled & textured the Circular Circlesaw, textured the Ricochest, did some images)
- RJackson (organization, fake store and news pages, hidden ARG)
- R4wrz0rz0r (Made the kill icon, item attributes and thought of the "deresolution" effect for the Circular Circlesaw)
- Primrose (Heartwarming Headache Texture)
- Razor-X (Polish translation)
- Ryo (Spanish translation)
- 'Stache (French translation)
- Sparkwire (Heartwarming Headache Model)
- Stevoisiak (Noticed we didn't have any April Fools plan, continual pushing of wiki cape resulted in Crocketeer's Cloak)
- Stormbird (Russian translation)
- Svdl (Heartwarming Headache Texture)
- Weegeetnik (French translation)
- WindPower (organization, hosting, photoshop)
- ~www~ (Chinese translation)
- Yjy950105 (Korean translation)
All the contributions of this event were all publicly visible on the recent changes page. Somehow, nothing leaked, until it was released on the following mediums:
The following content was made:
- Fake Ricochet 2 store page (full-size wallpapers)
- Fake TF2 news page
- Fake TF2 patch article and translations
- Event announcement and translations on the Main Page.
- Fake Ricochet 2 article and translations
- Circular Circlesaw and translations, a weapon demonstration video, and a model replacement.
- Heartwarming Headache and translations
- Crocketeer's Cloak and translations
- Ricochest and translations
- Post-event page
Other than on the release pages, other reactions to the event have emerged:
- SPUF: "If that is joke, some people are going to be mad. I want to point out something."
- SPUF: "But..." .. "I liked the new items"
- SPUF: "If the Ricochet 2 Promos ARE Real"
- YouTube: Half Life Snacks (comments)
- Reddit /r/gaming thread about the Ricochet 2 page
- Facepunch: "Ricochet 2 ANNOUNCED!"
- SPUF: "Ricochet 2 on Steam"
- SPUF: "Half Life 3 April Fools Jokes"
- TF2 Tightrope (implemented the weapons)
- SegmentedNext (who mistakenly thinks Valve was behind it)
- OXCGN (who also mistakenly thinks Valve was behind it)
- Valve was not involved in any way in this update; everything has been thought of and created by Wiki editors.
- There was hidden text on the background of the fake store page, with a copy of Portal 2 to win. It was found before it was even launched.
- Try clicking the "log in"/"sign in" link in the fake pages.
- Look at Engineer's belt on the Heartwarming Headache infobox image.