The main menu is the opening screen of Team Fortress 2. Upon the initial opening of the game's menu, one of the soundtrack songs will play, but it will not loop or play again until the game is restarted. The main menu can also be opened while connected to a server (the default key to open the menu is Esc).
The background of the menu is a toned grayscale render of one of the maps in game and a selection of possible class images depending upon active Holidays or special Updates.
An example of a Trade alert.
The alert box is a temporary box that appears to the left of the message tab. It shows notifications such as trade requests and map events.
The messages tab, when expanded, shows a "newspaper" with updates from the TF2 Official Website's blog.
The right hand side of the main menu is occasionally used for special update-related events such as the WAR! Update or Saxxy Awards.
Play Multiplayer will take you to Quickplay so you can automatically select a server for a certain game mode. If connected to a server it becomes the resume game button. The Play Co-op button will allow to play in the Mann vs. Machine game mode.
| The tick symbol allows you to call a vote on the server you are currently on as long as the server supports it. Options include player kicking, map changes and team scrambles.
The Mute Players button displays a menu that allows the player to mute other players' in-game voice chat and text chat. The menu will show an empty list when the player is not connected to a server. It will not mute sounds triggered by scripts or the server, or sounds from a third-party voice-over-internet program.
| The whistle symbol allows you to call for a coach to teach you how to play.
Allows the player to join or set up a game. By clicking the main body of the button the server browser is opened. When the player is currently connected to a server, it becomes the New Game button to allow the searching of a game through matchmaking.
| The plus symbol allows you to start up a listen or LAN server.
Allows the player to start up a training level or play a practice game against bots. Whilst in a game this button will become the change server button which brings up the server browser.
Will take you to the loadout and stats pages.
Clicking the Shop button opens the Mann Co. Store, which allows players to purchase in-game items such as hats, weapons, action items, and tools using money stored in their Steam Wallet. A current "featured item" is also shown under this button.
Takes you to the Replays window where you can view your recorded clips, takes, and movies.
Takes you to the Steam Workshop hub where you can upload custom content to be rated, commented upon and be considered as an addition to the game.
This button will open a Steam web browser page to a listing of all your Team Fortress 2 related claim codes on your account. If the player hasn't obtained any promotional codes, this button won't appear in the main menu. Currently the only promotional code available is from the RIFT Well Spun Hat Claim Code item.
This button with either close the game if not connected to a server, or will disconnect from the currently connected server.
| Opens the Steam overlay web browser to the Team Fortress 2 New User Forum.
Brings up a window that shows earned and unearned achievements, along with progress bars for achievements that require them. Unearned achievements have a tick box that can enable the achievement's progress to be shown in the HUD while playing.
| This menu allows the player to enter one of three empty versions of the official maps. These contain non-functioning bots and speech bubbles, which provide voice commentary from the designers detailing the game's development.
This gives you the option to volunteer to coach other players in the coaching mode.
| This menu gives the player a fast and efficient option to quickly report a bug with an optional screenshot.
The "Options" button opens up a window where the player can change keyboard bindings, mouse, audio, and video options, voice configuration for use with a microphone, and multiplayer options.
|| This button opens the "Advanced Multiplayer Options" directly.
September 20, 2007 Patch
- Disabled the loading of background maps.
September 21, 2007 Patch
- Removed background map due to incompatibilities.
October 2, 2007 Patch
- Added "Very High" texture resolution option.
- Fixed non-English language text overlapping in a few places.
- Extra options added to 'Game' tab in "Create Server" menu option.
October 9, 2007 Patch
- Fixed loading screen and intro movie showing up on Windows Vista with full screen AA.
November 15, 2007 Patch
January 7, 2008 Patch
- Added an option in the Options -> Multiplayer dialog to filter custom game files being downloaded from servers.
January 14, 2008 Patch
- Added new option for Medi Gun beam to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If on, the Medi Gun beam will stay attached to the current target without the need to hold down the fire button.
- Added new option for the Sniper Rifle to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog. If disabled, the Sniper Rifle won't re-zoom after firing a zoomed shot.
January 25, 2008 Patch
- Added an option to auto-save a scoreboard screenshot at the end of a map to the Multiplayer->Advanced dialog.
- Removed the "Reset Stats" button from the Player Stats screen.
February 15, 2008 Patch
- Fixed stat records sometimes being attributed to the wrong class.
February 19, 2008 Patch
- Fixed Badlands exploits and missing textures.
April 1, 2008 Patch
- Fixed a few instances of truncated text in the menus and dialogs for languages other than English.
April 29, 2008 Patch (Gold Rush Update)
- Added Character Info and Loadout to the main menu.
December 17, 2009 Patch (WAR! Update)
July 8, 2010 Patch (Engineer Update)
- Added Engineer main menu music.
July 13, 2010 Patch
- [Undocumented] Changed the song 'More Gun' to be different from Wilco's 'Someone Else's Song'.
September 30, 2010 Patch (Mann-Conomy Update)
- Added the Mann Co. Store & Catalog.
- Server browser tweaks.
- It will now encourage you to add servers to Favorites or Blacklists after you have a good/bad experience on them.
- The Server Browser now automatically closes after successfully connecting to a server (opt-out via the Options-Multiplayer->Advanced dialog).
- [Undocumented] Removed the "class advisor" and class records from the top-right corner of the main menu.
October 27, 2010 Patch (Scream Fortress Update)
- [Undocumented] Added game start up music "gamestartup_halloween".
April 14, 2011 Patch (Hatless Update)
- Updated the main menu to include 'resume game', 'call a vote' and 'request coach' selections.
- Menu background is now transparent when connected to a server.
- The Mann Co. Store featured item is no longer viewable in the menu unless the player selects the store button specifically.
May 5, 2011 Patch (Replay Update)
- Added the Replay feature to the menu.
- [Undocumented] Added the Saxxy 2011 Theme.
May 6, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a client crashed caused by using custom main menu resource files.
May 9, 2011 Patch
- Saxxy fanfare music wasn't playing on music channel. Music will only play once per launch now and will not play on a changelevel.
May 18, 2011 Patch
- Added an Advanced Options button to the main menu to allow tweaking of many gameplay options.
May 19, 2011 Patch
- Fixed a rare case where users running Service Pack 3 on Windows 7 64-bit with graphics driver version 12.42 saw a graphical glitch on the main menu Options button.
May 31, 2011 Patch
- Fixed the main menu showing through the shopping cart menu when running at 2500x1600.
June 8, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Removed the Saxxy Awards promotion on the main menu.
June 23, 2011 Patch (Über Update)
- The Main menu now has a "Start Playing" option which presents users with various game modes to choose from. Once selected, the game matches the player into the best available server for that mode.
- [Undocumented] Updated the main menu.
July 18, 2011 Patch
July 29, 2011 Patch
August 2, 2011 Patch
October 13, 2011 Patch (Manniversary Update & Sale)
October 20, 2011 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added Halloween Special main menu background.
October 27, 2011 Patch (Very Scary Halloween Special)
- [Undocumented] Added Halloween themed Class main menu images.
November 10, 2011 Patch
- Added a full moon background for the main menu.
December 15, 2011 Patch (Australian Christmas 2011)
- [Undocumented] Added Australian Christmas themed Class main menu images.
May 3, 2012 Patch
- Updated the main menu message notification system.
May 10, 2012 Patch
- Fixed a client crash when using custom main menu .res files .
August 15, 2012 Patch (Mann vs. Machine)
- [Undocumented] Added two startup music tracks from the Mann vs. Machine Trailer, The Calm and ROBOTS!.
- [Undocumented] Add 'Play Co-op' button to the menu.
- [Undocumented] Changed 'Start Playing' to 'Play Multiplayer'.
- [Undocumented] Added Mannworks menu backgrounds.
- [Undocumented] Added Heavy Robot class menu images.
September 4, 2012 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added back pre-Mann vs. Machine backgrounds and background music to the main menu.
- [Undocumented] Added all robot backgrounds (not only Heavy Robot) to the main menu.
November 2, 2012 Patch
- Added zombie character images and a Halloween background for the main menu.
December 7, 2012 Patch
- Fixed a client crash related to the main menu.
October 29, 2013 Patch (Scream Fortress 2013)
- [Undocumented] Added Halloween 2013 classes portraits and background.
June 19, 2014 Patch
- Added a new startup music track from Expiration Date
July 8, 2014 Patch
- Added Mann Co. Beta Maps - Early Access program.
- Beta maps can be accessed via the quickplay menu by clicking the Play Beta Maps option.
- Added a new startup music track from Expiration Date.
October 1, 2014 Patch
- When you mute a player, the mute settings now apply to text chat as well as voice chat. If you want the previous behavior, change convar cl_mute_all_comms to 0.
October 29, 2014 Patch (Scream Fortress 2014)
- [Undocumented] Added new main menu background.
November 4, 2014 Patch
- [Undocumented] Added new main menu classes.
December 8, 2014 Patch (End of the Line Update)
- [Undocumented] Added a new main menu background and class.
December 10, 2014 Patch
- Fixed a client crash related to the main menu.
January 7, 2015 Patch
October 1, 2015 Patch
- Fixed a client crash related to the main menu.
2Fort main menu background.
2Fort main menu background (widescreen).
Gravel Pit main menu background (widescreen).
Upward main menu background (widescreen).
Mannworks main menu background (widescreen).
Halloween events backgrounds
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2010.
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2010 (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2011.
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2011 (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2012.
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2012 (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2013.
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2013 (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2014.
The main menu background that appeared during Halloween 2014 (widescreen).
Special events backgrounds
The Saxxy Awards extra that appeared on the main menu during the Replay Update.
The main menu background that appears during a full moon, featuring Double Cross (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during Australian Christmas 2011 (widescreen).
The main menu background that appeared during the End of the Line Update (widescreen).
The main menu background that appears during the Gun Mettle Update (widescreen).
All possible class images that appear on the main menu are shown below. When the main menu is rendered one of the images is picked. Certain class images will only appear at certain times.
The "default" class portraits can appear at anytime, unless overridden by a holiday.
Update-specific class images
Class portraits from the Manniversary Update & Sale on October 13, 2011 Patch. They can appear at anytime, unless overridden by a holiday.
Class images from the Very Scary Halloween Special on October 27, 2011 Patch. They will only show during Halloween or a Full Moon.
Class images from Australian Christmas 2011 on December 15, 2011 Patch. They will only show during Winter.
Robot class images from the Mann vs. Machine update on August 15, 2012 Patch and September 4, 2012 Patch. They can appear at anytime, unless overridden by a holiday.
Class images from the Spectral Halloween Special on October 26, 2012 Patch. They will only show during Halloween or a Full Moon.
Class images from Scream Fortress 2013 on October 29, 2013 Patch. They will only show during Halloween or a Full Moon.
Class images from Scream Fortress 2014 on November 4, 2014 Patch. They will only show during Halloween or a Full Moon.
Class image from the End of the Line Update on December 8, 2014 Patch. It can appear at anytime, unless overridden by a holiday.
All possible images that aren't related to the nine mercenaries are shown below.
Content added to the game that has remained unused.