|“Gotta move that gear up!”
This article may contain content that is out of date.
You can help improve this article by updating the content as necessary. See the wiki style guide. The specific instructions are: Image of gameplay, Gameplay Demonstration, generally clean up.
Parkour Fortress is a server modification created by Mecha the Slag for Team Fortress 2, which is heavily influenced by Mirror's Edge, in which the player can freerun around user-created maps. While in Parkour Fortress, speed, timing, and precision are used to the player's advantage (or in some cases, disadvantage) to pull off stunts and tricks while keeping momentum, and either reach the end of the course or to bring all of the flags to one location, thus winning the round. In some maps for Parkour Fortress it times you on how fast you can beat the course, and if you beat a time on the leaderboard your name will replace their name.
While the original servers are offline as of December 2018, a revival project under active development launched an Open Beta server on May 10th, 2019.
The objective for most parkour fortress maps is completing a course in the shortest time possible using a number of techniques such as wallrunning, wall jumping, ledge grabbing, crouch-sliding, and double jumping. The player gains momentum by performing smoothly, which keeps the running speed at an elevated level and as such rewarding those who can maneuver the course easily. Momentum can be lost by stopping, running into walls, sliding too long, or falling from extended heights, although the latter can be avoided by holding control upon landing to perform a roll. Hazards are common features in the maps, the most common of which being cliffs and heights. Other hazards include poisoned water, saw blades, and sometimes even open doors, which can kill nearby players when shutting themselves.
In the pf_points map, the objective is to capture three intelligence cases scattered around the map and bring all carriers to a single location. Unlike other parkour maps, players are equipped with fists to pummel opponents. Momentum in this game mode, besides granting the usual speed, will guarantee crits if the player is using the fists. Weapons such as the Machina and Pistol spawn at predetermined locations, which players can pick up by walking over them. These weapons allow the players to use ranged weaponry at the cost of close-range power and specifically speed for the Machina. The ever-present hazard of falling to the player's death is more common in this game mode, since the map is situated on top of industrial skyscrapers.
Maneuvers and abilities
- Wallrunning: A player can wallrun by holding W and A or D (depending on which side the wall is) and pressing space, allowing the player to temporarily run along a vertical surface. Pressing space while wallrunning will cause the player to jump off the wall. Due to the complicated inputs, this ability is notoriously difficult to perform for beginners.
- Wall jumping: By jumping directly at a wall, a player can climb up the wall for a short distance, allowing the player to reach a ledge that is slightly out of jump range. During the climbing, the player can face away from the wall and press space again, making the character jump off the wall. This allows players to reach areas that are not otherwise accessible.
- Ledge grabbing: A player can grab an adjacent ledge by facing it. Pressing space after grabbing the ledge will push the Scout over the ledge and onto solid ground. Pressing control will make the character let go of the ledge.
- Pipe climbing: By pressing W, a player can ascend an adjacent pipe. Although a pipe is a secure means of ascending or descending heights, climbing it is quite slow and using other means to cut out time spent on the pipe can shave a few seconds off of a run.
- Sliding: Pressing control while running on the ground will make the player slide. If the player is not on a descending slope, the slide will eventually halt and, if the player had momentum, remove it. If a stationary player presses control, the player will crouch, not slide.
- Double jumping: Pressing space in the air will initiate a double jump, if the player hasn't done one already. Note that after falling a certain distance, the mod will bar the player from performing the double jump.
- Zipline: Touching a zipline will allow the player to grab and slide to the posterior end at a very fast pace. One can choose to let go of the zipline by pressing control at any time during the descent.
|End Of The Road||Mecha the Slag||Make it to the end of a time run|
|Intellectual Movement||Mecha the Slag||Capture the intelligence on the Points map|
|Only Death Below||Mecha the Slag||Fall to your inevitable death|
|The Kijun Challenge||Mecha the Slag||Complete the Kijun map|
No longer online: